Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689532
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: use a model drill/pin vice effectively  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
use a model drill/pin vice effectively
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:52:16 AM »
I have a modelling drill (the shop i bought it from called it a pin vice) and I need to fix about 6 small tentacles to a monster.

I have tried gluing the tentacles, but they don't stay put, so I want to drill holes and pin them.

Having never done this before, can anyone let me know what the best way to go about this is? What type of things should I use for the pins, how deep to drill, how to accurately drill exactly where it is needed etc?

Many thank.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: use a model drill/pin vice effectively
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »
Paperclips work nicely for pinning wire - more than strong enough for model assembly, but easy to cut with wirecutters or pliers. Easy to find, too! Cut your wire pins too long, superglue them into one side, then clip them down again to size - easier than dealing with tiny bits of wire.

Go at least a couple of mm deep, if you can. Deeper is better, but going out the far side of the piece and drilling a hole in your finger sucks. Trust me.

To start a hole accurately, just start slowly. Sometimes I've scratched an X with an Xacto knife to mark my spot - that helps keep the tip of the drill bit in place.

Drill and pin one side, then figure out where on the other piece you need to drill; a dab of paint on the tip of the pin can help mark the spot on the second piece. If you find yourself slightly out of alignment, drill the second hole a bit wider to give yourself some shifting space. It'll weaken the joint, but not that much once you dab a bit of superglue in.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
I agree with all of the above, though I use safty pins and straight pins to pin models. Use a heavy duty wire clipper, and eye protection, to cut the pins.

Rob

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
Having been frustrated many times by bits snapping, this has become and area in which I am very meticulous. I pin a lot, I should add. Almost all metal pieces which go together. I just don't like minis coming apart on the gaming table, it looks shoddy.

* I always use brass wire to or piano wire depending on how heavy or off balance the miniature is.
* I always measure drill bit and wire with a caliper to get a good fit.

* If possible drill one of the pieces through all the way. It makes it much easier to mark the place in the other piece where the corresponding hole should be drilled. The visible mark can always be touched out with a bit of putty later.
* Lubricate the drill with some mineral thinner (or if you must, some oil) and you'll minimize the risk of the drill bit getting stuck. White metal has a tendency to 'clog'
*Use as big a diameter drill bit as the pieces allow.
* Drill as deep as the metal piece allows

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
I think everyone above is right in how they are doing it and I am sure it works for them but I think you all will be scaring Sheerluck Holmes.
One of the main purposes of pinning is to increase the surface area of the mating faces. The hole you drill and the pin you use do not need to be an exact match, as long as the glue you are using fills up the excess area.
The other purpose of the pinned joint is so that the glued surface is not all on one plane, which would be easily sheared, but in multiple planes.
As long as the pin is a reasonable fit the joint should be strong enough, unless you intend to use your figure as target practice for rocks or BB guns. lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »
I think everyone above is right in how they are doing it and I am sure it works for them but I think you all will be scaring Sheerluck Holmes.
One of the main purposes of pinning is to increase the surface area of the mating faces. The hole you drill and the pin you use do not need to be an exact match, as long as the glue you are using fills up the excess area.
The other purpose of the pinned joint is so that the glued surface is not all on one plane, which would be easily sheared, but in multiple planes.
As long as the pin is a reasonable fit the joint should be strong enough, unless you intend to use your figure as target practice for rocks or BB guns. lol

Don't listen to Gamer Mac and his most *reckless* and *cavalier* attitude to pinning. I stand by my statement: a good fit will help you get the sturdiest bond.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:15:10 PM »
Quote from: Hammers
Don't listen to Gamer Mac and his most *reckless* and *cavalier* attitude to pinning. I stand by my statement: a good fit will help you get the sturdiest bond.

Gamer Mac has the right of it. This is a pretty easy process, which merely requires a little patience and common sense not precision measuring tools. Though I wear eye protection when cutting of the end of the pin because occasionally the cut off bit will fly off in a random direction.

So get out your pin vise and go crazy Sheerluck!

Rob

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »
Many thanks for the adivce  :)

I will need to find the right type of wire to use, as the tentacles are fairly small, but I think I have something that will be ideal.

I will give it a go.... what is the worst that can happen?  o_o

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
Many thanks for the adivce  :)

I will need to find the right type of wire to use, as the tentacles are fairly small, but I think I have something that will be ideal.

I will give it a go.... what is the worst that can happen?  o_o

Try snapping the drill bit of in the hole. You will cuss till the ceiling turns black.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »
This is hard!!!!!

:'(

I have been drilling away for 5 - 10 mins and getting no where...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
This is hard!!!!!

:'(

I have been drilling away for 5 - 10 mins and getting no where...

That's what you get from listening to people like Wirelizard and his evil kin!  ;)

Consider getting a minitool.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
5 - 10 min :o :o :o
You may be doing something wrong. Are you sure you are turning it the right way :o :D
Is it white metal you are drilling?
Normally only takes seconds to drill a hole.
Is it a new drill bit?
What size of hole?

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:43 PM »
5 - 10 min :o :o :o
You may be doing something wrong. Are you sure you are turning it the right way :o :D
Is it white metal you are drilling?
Normally only takes seconds to drill a hole.
Is it a new drill bit?
What size of hole?

I am drilling a Black Cat Bases demon figure.
 :D yep - I am turning it the right way
It is a new drill bit and pin vice -------> one of these:

Do you have to apply a lot of pressure?  If I push too hard it looks like the bit wants to bend.

I think the size of the hole is 1mm (?) 

I do have other size bits, but i can't find them  :'(

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »
Shouldn't have to apply to much pressure.
I sometimes try a pilot hole with a smaller diameter drill or maybe even try and start the hole with the tip of a craft knife.Just enough to give you a start.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 01:55:31 AM »
I'd suggest that a small vice is a must if you buy a pin vice/model drill, as well as some form of good padding becuase you don't want to find that the small piece of tin/pewter you just drilled perfectly has been mashed up by your vice...