Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690734
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question about 'Last Man Standing' ...and resolve  (Read 1621 times)

Offline BletchleyPark

• Assistant
    • My Painting & Gaming Blog
Question about 'Last Man Standing' ...and resolve
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »
So after having the game for a few months, I've finally managed to start getting some games in. Despite the horrible luck my agents of Threshold have been having (they've yet to win a game) this situation hasn't come up until last night:Last Man Standing resolve tests.

How many of these do I take? The rules on page 17 left my opponent and I thinking I needed to pass a Resolve test every single turn for the remainder of the game; but then there's the clause saying, "a model passing [or indeed, failing] a Resolve test ... need not take another test again unless ... confronted by a new situation."

If I pass/fail my Resolve test for being the last model of my faction remaining in play and live to see the next turn, does the start of a new turn qualify as "a new situation," demanding a new Resolve test?

We played last night that it did, and my character (Rick Rutledge, Adventurer) passed, like, SEVEN resolve tests in a row for being the last man on the board before finally failing and getting shivved by a Cultist Leader (who, himself was the last of his faction).

It doesn't feel quite right that  I need to roll a Resolve test in my turn and my opponent's ...if it was just every turn where he gets activated, I could understand--but I keep going back to the part that says I've faced my fears and can't help but wonder whether I just need to take that test but once.

Anyways, that's my question.
(We're trying to get together to play again tomorrow night, so any sooner-rather-than-later replies would be much appreciated!)

Check out my painting & gaming blog: http://imaginarywars.wordpress.com/

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Question about 'Last Man Standing' ...and resolve
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
You only need to take the test the one time. That should allow you to save those lucky dice rolls for something else...

Offline BletchleyPark

• Assistant
    • My Painting & Gaming Blog
Re: Question about 'Last Man Standing' ...and resolve
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
Awesome!

Thanks for the ruling.

Man! What a game; it was a game where the constant was my inability to hurt any of the lurkers. My female agent (Miss Lucy) was armed with a bolt action rifle and didn't miss a single shot all game. However, after every time she rolled her 5+ Dex to hit a cultist, she then proceeded to roll a TWO to wound the lurker...which she did five shots in a row, until finally a cultist shot her with is shot gun. My other agent, Doctor Jones had similar luck before being taken out in close combat; and my character was suddenly all on his own, facing off against two cultists and a Cultist leader; he took out one cultist and then his dice failed him in all ways except for passing his recurring Resolve test. After many rounds, he had finally killed one cultist and done one wound to the leader....before then being taken out of the game.

All bad dice rolls aside, we had a blast! (And one of the guys at the store is now considering getting into the game, bringing the number of 'infected' up to 5 in just under a week of playing some games!)