Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:16:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Richard Sharpe is a great British hero...  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Richard Sharpe is a great British hero...
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »
... but does this look like him? Put together from a box of Perry British Infantry, supposed to represent him as an officer of the 95th Rifles.

Things I know are wrong:

1) He is wearing the light infantry jacket, rather than the officers bolero style, but it was the only one that I thought was suitable from the box. I have since shaved the puffy shoulder bits. Similarly, his cuffs are totally wrong. I am going to do some details with GS. Probably make both the sleeves look like his left-hand one...

2) From the show, he has a different style of boot, but I can GS that if need be. His pants are also not quite right. But I figured the one's on the show are different to show off his bum, or something.

3) The straps and stuff are just regular kit. I'll probably put the round, lion pendant on there somewhere...

4) He doesn't carry his backpack all that often, being an officer.

So, this is clearly not one for the bean button counters. However, I'd still like to know if I pulled this off sufficiently for gaming purposes. Will the dark green with black detail paint-job be enough to divert attention from the obvious flaws?

I'd love to get some feedback on this!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:32:33 AM by Christian »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Richard Sharpe is a great British hero...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:13:20 AM »
... but does this look like him? Put together from a box of Perry British Infantry, supposed to represent him as an officer of the 95th Rifles.

Things I know are wrong:

1) He is wearing the light infantry jacket, rather than the officers bolero style, but it was the only one that I thought was suitable from the box. I have since shaved the puffy shoulder bits. Similarly, his cuffs are totally wrong. I am going to do some details with GS. Probably make both the sleeves look like his left-hand one...

2) From the show, he has a different style of boot, but I can GS that if need be. His pants are also not quite right. But I figured the one's on the show are different to show off his bum, or something.

3) The straps and stuff are just regular kit. I'll probably put the round, lion pendant on there somewhere...

4) He doesn't carry his backpack all that often, being an officer.

So, this is clearly not one for the bean button counters. However, I'd still like to know if I pulled this off sufficiently for gaming purposes. Will the dark green with black detail paint-job be enough to divert attention from the obvious flaws?

I'd love to get some feedback on this!

I think the distinct face and good proportions (TM Perrys) really makes this miniature. Well put together!

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
I reckon you could get away with that, but I'd shave down the trouser legs to make room for some sculpted boots. That would make the model for sure!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:43:27 AM »
First impression's very good. The head is a miniature's focus, so face and hairstyle make for a fitting representation.
On second thought, you've mentioned a few quibbles yourself. I wouldn't bother with most of them:

1) The jacket is just fine. You could easily paint in a few more buttons to the front and simply remove the buttoned cuffs. Actually the wings on his shoulders were a distinct feature of light infantrymen, and that's what the Rifles were. So no need to take them off.
2) IIRC Sharpe's boots and pants are meant to be taken from a rider's (dragoon's?) kit. Nothing said about Sharpe wearing them all the time.
3) If you paint the leatherware all black (no buckles here) and perhaps add a small thread running across the topmost strap on his chest (left shoulder), there's no problem with the equipment.
4) Who else than Sharpe leads by example? He's carrying his heavy stuff quite often himself, even as an officer.

As I said, no major issues here. Apart from one thing! :D Where is Sharpe's very distinctive French dragoon's sabre? Perhaps you can trade one from this kit...

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
Ah! Well spotted. Behind is left arm is a sabre. However, it's an infantry one... I think. It has a very straight blade. And, from what I recall, that's the difference between a cavalry sword and what most officer's were carrying?

I haven't any idea how I am going to start doing Harper...

One little bit of inspiration though: I had some left over WGF Celt heads (the scraggly looking ones) and they fit in perfectly with the proportions of the Perry figures. I also have the option of getting some Empress heads, as they are also in proportion. The Carlist hats look a bit like the forage caps the Riflemen had, don't they? Might have to check that one.

Really, I think the Perry British Infantry is pretty much "Sharpe-in-a-box". You can get just the Command and Riflemen sprue from the Perry website if you don't want, or need, a whole box.

EDIT:

Here's the Empress heads mentioned above:

These could be of use as well:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:38:15 AM by Christian »

Offline FunkyBrush

• Scientist
    • FunkyBrush's Painting Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »
I the backpack a french one? Sharpe prefers french made equipment.

I'm pretty sure the boots and trousers are looted from a french Chasseurs officer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:00:18 AM by FunkyBrush »
http://miniatures-painting.blogspot.com/

What a fascinating modern age we live in

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
No, just the standard one from the box :) I'll keep that little detail in mind, though.

I wish they'd release the French Infantry Command sprue separately...

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »
Well I think that he looks quite sharpe.....

Offline HPFlashman

• Librarian
  • Why dont YOU make for the forlorn hope, old chap ?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
Yup, almost cutting edge...
Best regards

Harry

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »
I think it looks pretty good. The head is certianly a good choice.

I the backpack a french one? Sharpe prefers french made equipment.

I'm pretty sure the boots and trousers are looted from a french Chasseurs officer.

Correct. His boots, trousers and backpack are all French. He always carries his backpack etc, and usually has very little to distinguish him as an officer apart from his sword and his red sash, taken (at least for the early Sharpe) from a dead officer on the battlefield at Assaye.

Sharpe does not carry a light infantryman's sabre, rather an 1876 Heavy Cavalry Sword (which is a large, straight blade).

Type 'Sharpe' into Google, and you'll get thousands of images of Sean Bean in the role. His equipment is pretty accurate.

As for painting, are you going for the Sharpe of the books, or Sean Bean?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
I seem to remember his trousers were overalls nicked of an Imperial Guard Chasseur colonel.

I was told buy a button counter of my aquaintance that "the" Colonel of IG Chasseurs was in Russia at the time so it couldn't have happened.

I dunno' but I doubt whether Richard Sharpe wore exactly the same suit of clothes from Rolica to Waterloo.

Your figure looks great to me, might even try and do one myself.  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Online Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
I think he looks very Sharpie!

I concur with answer_is_42, his pants are French officer's overalls (I think) and the sword looks like this http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/1796%20heavy%20cavalry%20sword_1.jpg

The figure doesn't look like he has a rifle - which Sharpe is known to always carry - perhaps you could add one to his pack.

What on earth are you planning with this Christian!!  :o
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:52 PM »
Haha, just something small to pass the time I guess... as if I didn't have anything else going on ;) I just started watching the TV series again, and it was something I'd wanted to do for a while, I guess!

In his right hand is a Baker from the riflemen sprue, it's a bit hard to distinguish in the pic! I'll take a photo of that and his sword (which is straight-bladed, so hurrah!).

I'll probably be going for the "movie look". I assume you're referring to his hair colour?

The next figure I'll have will be a foppish officer, easily done with this set of figures.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
Sorry but I do have to take you up on the title of this thread... Sharpe is a bloody oik, if you want a truly great British hero you really want to be looking at Harry Flashman, who's not only a great hero but a gentleman as well. Personally I wouldn't let Sharp wash the bottles in the officer's mess, let alone dine in there...

Offline HPFlashman

• Librarian
  • Why dont YOU make for the forlorn hope, old chap ?
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 01:05:34 AM »
Hear,hear.... :D