Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: siberian rifles uniforms?  (Read 7745 times)

Offline svinkel

• Assistant
siberian rifles uniforms?
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »
hello i just buy this figures from coppelstone. I check my osprey, there is nothing and the net : i see the back of betond version

In French magazine Vae Victis HS 5 there are green

I haven't the book (not osprey) in Russian about the red army of civi war

Can you help me

At the end of the film "Admiral kolchak", there are grey...

Have you some pictures?

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: siberian rifles uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »
All normal infantry units of the Red Army were "rifles" so "Siberian Rifles" means nothing. Siberian units were in no way special.

The units in Siberia dressed exactly like all the other Red Army units: badly. Khaki blouses and shirts like WWI. Greatcoats would be pale grey if former WWI officers, or pale brown if former WWI ranker or new Soviet models. Fur caps usually grey, with khaki top. The Osprey on the Red Army shows the colour options well enough (even if much text is unreliable).

If the unit represents the Far Eastern Republic units, then the only difference is that they would be even more sloppily dressed than the ordinary Red Army. Most were just impressed partisans. Some wore special arm badges.

The old Tsarist Army had "Siberian Rifles" but they were just line infantry units, of no particular merit. The only difference was their distinctions were in "raspberry".

The unit you show is not any uniform I recognise.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
I don't know about RCW as it's a little late for me, my 'knowledge', such as it is, is more around the Russo-Japanese war.

The only difference between a 'Siberian' unit and most other rifle units was the style of fur hat (Ushanka?). The Siberian ones were larger and distinctly more 'shaggy' in appearance. The unit above is definately wearing the Siberian hat. Other than that, as Mark said, they were badly equipped.

As I said, I don't know if this had changed by the RCW, but I doubt it, and the figures certainly show it.
So many projects..... so little time.......

former user

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
while regular "fur hats" could also be made of felt (cheap imitation) or of Karakul (in the prestigious version), Siberian Fur hats had to be made of fur, because of the cold and so look more furrier.
Check the pictures from Osprey's Czech Legion book, where the guards look like Teddybears.

The Ushanka was introduced after RCW as army regulation, but Kolchak introduced a similar one called "Kolchakovka"

the depicted siberian rifles must wear brand new greatcoats or a mis-dyed version  ;)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Headdress – Papaha. Papaha of this kind have been extended in the Asian part of Russia: in Siberia, in Central Asia and in the Far East. Were sewed from a sheepskin. Colour could be any, basically white or black. Carried them both infantry, and cavalrymen. Could rush both in the winter and in the summer. Both white, and red soldiers. As a recognition symbol on papaha there could be strips made of cloth: white or red. But it is frequent neither white, nor red soldiers had no recognition symbols.
Overcoat - on figures it is presented an overcoat of the imperial sample. An overcoat from unpainted cloth. Could have all shades of grey colour. Obviously identified brown shade has appeared only at overcoats since 1960th years. Therefore you see frequent can it in feature films. An overcoat should be only sulphur of different shades.
Trousers – khaki (grey - green). Colour of a uniform of the period of I World war in Russian army.
Boots – a black skin.
If to these figures to make epaulets(?) – will be or soldiers of imperial army (the Siberian arrows) in I world war, or soldiers of white parts with 1919 – 1921. Were as Antibolshevist parts which did not carry an epaulet (1918), at them were on sleeve signs, as on an illustration.

Overcoat

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
Miscellaneouses of the tall fur hat:

Figures on your photo - fantastic (Wrong).
The Belt and cartridge pouch (the equipment) not painted skin - a tone brown.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:18:53 PM by cuprum »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:05:15 PM »
Miscellaneouses of the tall fur hat:
Figures on your photo - fantastic (Wrong).
The Belt and cartridge pouch (the equipment) not painted skin - a tone brown.

the pic is mine. I know, they're wrong, just wanted a bit another color for my army, had enough of grey overcoats :)

thanks for your pics and infomations, first time I see so much about Siberian rifles!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
Papaha - that's it! I thought it had a different name but I was damned if I could remember it. Thanks Cuprum, some good info there.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
They probably stole the uniforms or found them in a forgotten  warehouse somewhere in Siberia !
, ,

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 01:37:05 AM »
Why him to steal? Red were got enormous spares of the uniform and weapons to tsarist army. But here is beside white, before deliveries from countries of the Entente, were a greater problems with uniform and weapon.
Apropos, beside white overcoats of the russian cut could be suture from put(deliver)ed ally (Great Britain, Japan, USA) broadcloth and have other colour. As booty could turn out to be and in Red army.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:42:10 AM by cuprum »

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:05 AM »
Overcoat - on figures it is presented an overcoat of the imperial sample. An overcoat from unpainted cloth. Could have all shades of grey colour. Obviously identified brown shade has appeared only at overcoats since 1960th years. Therefore you see frequent can it in feature films. An overcoat should be only sulphur of different shades.

Michael,
I'm a bit confused - were the Russian made overcoats only grey? or some brown-grey or light brown? Not sure what sulpher means as it is yellow. Spaceba!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
Russian an overcoat - only grey colour. But during Civil war the overcoats sewed from fabrics, delivered by Allies could be used. I know examples, in Siberia and Central Asia when overcoats at White have been sewed from the Japanese fabric (probably, khaki?). Probably, it was used both cloth from England and the USA.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
Spaceba! That's what I thought. I found this place that offers excellent uniforms and the gray overcoat.
http://www.antikvariat.ru/reconstr/element.php?IBLOCK_ID=44&SECTION_ID=3045&ELEMENT_ID=27462&cur=RUB

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »
Shades of colour of cloth could will cause a stir a little. Cloth for overcoats was not painted at all.