Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691096
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Opinions on basing.  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Opinions on basing.
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
Hi all,
I'm about to embark on a new project, I have the figures prepped and sat ready to go but I'm unsure what is the best way to base them. I'm starting to build a small Norman force to fight anywhere from the Norman Conquest, Italy and the Middle-East, I have no fixed idea on specific rules. I normally single base my figures on 2p coins as I do like the look of it, and usually I play more skirmish based games however I also like the idea of scenic bases with these guys.

As I dont have any real knowledge of rule systems is there a best way to base them that would make them interchangable between different sets?

Generally speaking would I be best abandoning the idea of a scenic base and going for singles or would there be greater scope in basing them as units?

I hope this makes sense, any input would be great as I want to get this project rolling asap!

Thanks.

Mr.J

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Opinions on basing.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
Normans do lend themselves to scenic multiple basing for sure but I too like singles and also 2p's.

What I have started to do is use the unit bases/trays from Warbases
http://www.warbases.co.uk/#/2p-trays/4543310510

a little extra work to model around the circular holes but for me the ideal compromise. The variation in sizes enables great variation too.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »
Go with the 2 pence pieces, but have some unit trays for the official boring sets of rules....

Fenris Games make some very effective movement trays for this sort of thing.

;)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I think that was the conclusion I had come to, just needed some reassurance...
Well now I've decided I might as well get to it!
Is there any chance anyone has any painted example of these types of movement trays with their figures on them?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
I used Daler/Rowney artists board for basing for WAB. It allowed me to accurately cut to the size I needed- thias included (for the cavalry) 25x50mm, 50x50mm and 75x50mm .You can see the results here:

http://darrellhindley.co.uk/?page_id=54

Hope it is of some help?

Darrell.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »
hello,

I'm currently building up some ancient and medieval armies for basic impetus, I'm basing the miniatures on 25mm round bases (and some ther sizes and shapes where appropriate) and I've asked Mr Murray from warbases.co.uk to make me a couple of trays for the figures to represent whole units:

I'm trully happy with this and the prices were also very good! I'm also planing to shift my other armies and miniatures to this basing style

Hope this gives some ideas!
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
It's the way to go.
All my minis are on 25mm round bases, but I have yet to find a 'tray' that I like.
Skirmish games with 200 individual figures can take rather a long time in the opening phases!
But I find the Warbases offering too regular and too chunky. I want something subtler and less regimented (I don't do regiments  :D)

TSS do a 9-hole base which is close but still has straight edges and quite a step-up.

The ingenious Mr.Bibbly has fabricated various acrylic prototypes, but we're waiting for him to hit the exact right balance between form and function... Whereupon (I keep assuring him) they will sell like hotcakes, cos I'm convinced there's a huge untapped market out there for movement trays which are a bit less plonky.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
The ingenious Mr.Bibbly has fabricated various acrylic prototypes, but we're waiting for him to hit the exact right balance between form and function... Whereupon (I keep assuring him) they will sell like hotcakes, cos I'm convinced there's a huge untapped market out there for movement trays which are a bit less plonky.

Too true! Shame to have glorious figures and terrain and a clunky tray in between.

Did you see how Elysium64 makes his movement trays using a smear of putty on a board? 

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=23618.30
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
But I find the Warbases offering too regular and too chunky.

well, they have a laser cutter.

you can ask them for custom cuts and i guess they can make you almost the same price! ^^

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
Did you see how Elysium64 makes his movement trays using a smear of putty on a board? 

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=23618.30

I'd missed this; a very nice way to do skirmish bases. I'll have to file that away for use in the future! (the future is likely to include Pathans and other NWF stuff, so skirmish bases seem like a plan...)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »
Have you consider War of the Ring bases from GW?

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
Have you consider War of the Ring bases from GW?

only do that if you use the GW slota bases, the spaces for the bases are a little bit smaller than the actual diameters.
There is a topic about this on frothers, if I'm not mistaken, where someone planned to do this with other manufacturers bases and they didn't fit

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »
People, people, people... Jesus WEEPS at the sight of slotta bases and movement trays...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
People, people, people... Jesus WEEPS at the sight of slotta bases....

;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:02 AM »

I'm with you on this one, I was also prompting Mr Bibblywibbly on sunday for the very same. A bevelled edge and slightly thinner and I'm in. I shall be seeing him tomorrow, I'll remind him to crackon with them  ;)  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing