Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: African Standard Bearers  (Read 2756 times)

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
African Standard Bearers
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »
I have noticed that in Chris Peer's In The Heart of Africa army list and similar rules the Native Kingdoms, Ruga-Ruga and other tribal armies can add a standard-bearer to they forces... I know the common standards flaggs from colonial forces -British, Belgian, German- even the Zanzibari and Arabs forces...

but I'm not sure what kind of standard should carry an african kingdom... I'm working in a ruga-ruga army and I don't know what kind of figure and standard use for this... some tribal instruments? A witchdoctor?

I will appreciate some help with this... some examples... pics...

thanks for your help, friends...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:41:10 PM by mortimer »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: African Standard Bearers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »
Here's mine...

:)

Looks rather silly, but is historically accurate for Mirambo's Ruga Ruga. Wherever he was on the battlefield he was accompanied by an umbrella. As a young man he would fight alongside his men, and his presence would be indicated to the troops by the brolly. Because he always gave a greater share of the booty to those he considered the bravest and best, knowing he was nearby encouraged the men into more acts of reckless bravery in the hope of catching his eye, so it did function in much the same way as a standard.

With other peoples it's a job to know what to do. Many of them didn't really have the concept of a standard bearer. Some peoples (like the Ngoni sometimes) would have their chief present at a battle, sat in a prominent but out of harm's way spot on a stool at the back. Not really taking a leadership role (there would be generals for that), but more of a ceremonial one. I suppose you could give such a figure whatever powers a standard has in your rules, though you would want to discourage them from actually taking part in the fighting (by making them rubbish at it, for instance).

Personally that is my plan. My Ngoni king and his cheerleading squad of dancing girls. He'll have "army standard bearer" powers, but limited movement and may not initiate combat. Instruments and witchdoctors I'm keeping separate, with their own distinct rules to add flavour.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
thanks plynkes  :)

I will look for suitables miniatures...

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
Excellent ideas, Plynkes! Thanks for those. I have suitable figures to hand for the chief and brolly-bearer. Now to find those cheerleaders...  ;)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
How did you make the brolly, Plynkes? It's fantastic.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
Can't take credit for that (apart from the stick and handle, which is just a wire spear with the end bent round), it's a Foundry brolly.

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »
Back in the 1970's one of our club members, who is also a member of LAF, hitchhiked around the world.  Whilst on the Horn of Africa he took some photos.  It's a long, and I think exciting, story.

Here's a link

http://miskatonic.net/research/lewis/

Once there, hit the link for 'Darkest Africa' over on the left.
Then hit the link for 'New Chapter 15'
Finally, at the bottom of the page explaining how he finally retrieved the photos, hit the link for 'View Some of the Missing Photos.'

Worth a gander.  African umbrella standards, and the Ark of the Covenant being taken for a walk.

Regards,
MW