Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ancients d6  (Read 3047 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Ancients d6
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:38:36 AM »
Dear Gentlemen,
after reading half a dozen (free) wargame rulesets for the ancients I found "Ancients d6", and I really liked it. I've never played it so far, does anybody know it? I'm playing 28mm. Any hint appreciated.
The rules can be found here.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline jacar

• Lurker
  • Who Asked This Joker
    • John's Wargames
Re: Ancients d6
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
Dear Gentlemen,
after reading half a dozen (free) wargame rulesets for the ancients I found "Ancients d6", and I really liked it. I've never played it so far, does anybody know it? I'm playing 28mm. Any hint appreciated.
The rules can be found here.

Hi,

I know it.  I wrote it!   :D

You are using 28mm figures?  I assume they are single based figures right?  What you can do is simply double everything listed (ranges, move rates, base sizes, battlefield size) and you will have a large representation of the game. 

If they are singly based, you can use magnetic trays or some other kind of movement tray to hold your figures.  As you take hits you can simply remove figures.  as the unit rallies, you can add figures back.

Other than that, I think the rules are pretty clear.  If you have played DBA before, you will notice some similarities with the command system.  Movement is not so free form though.  All should be pretty straight forward.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here.

John
“Somewhere in the world there is a defeat for everyone. Some are destroyed by defeat, and some made small and mean by victory. Greatness lives in one who triumphs equally over defeat and victory.”
― John Steinbeck, The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
Hi, strange things happen on the Laf!
thanks for the answer, however yes, I'm playing 28mm, but I'm actually using a 60x40mm multibase with magnets (an yes, I remove casualties so no tokens on the table!). Rules are quite clear and easy to understand. I like how the losses and disorder affect any roll on the field. I'll try it in a couple of weeks, and then ask you if any problem rises. I'll go with 3x measurements, so that 36" no man's land lies between our forces, cavalry runs at 9" per bound and javelins are thrown at 6".

Later on!

Offline jacar

• Lurker
  • Who Asked This Joker
    • John's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »
Just curious...why 3X?  2X would be plenty?  Just wondering.  There will be some minor effects on the game.  Nothing to worry about though.  Only that lines will be able to wheel farther.   

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »
Well, actually... coming from skirmish games I just felt a javelin can't have a range of 4", and my hoplites can't just move 3". I know it's a question of ground scale, but when you play many years moving 8"/12" a bound, you just feel silly moving 3".

Whatever... you're right about wheels! Maybe the answer is to use larger bases. If I had a 120 mm front I'd have the same angle moving three times as much. By the way 120mm is also the Impetus frontage, and it would be very very useful not to build two sets. 4 figures on a 120x40 are really few tho, so one could simply double the number of figures; and however on such a large base there is plenty of space to add simple diorama tokens (a broken sword, a shield, a casualty) on the base itself.

Offline jacar

• Lurker
  • Who Asked This Joker
    • John's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »
If you are interested in huge bases, forget representing the number of figures and put as many down as you think would look right.  Then simply assign a strength to each base.  Heavy most heavy infantry 4.  Light Infantry 3.  Open order/skirmish infantry 2.  Heavy cavalry 3.  Light cavalry 2.  You can use a numeric counter or little pebbles on the base to show hits.  Just make sure you leave enough room to place these markers.