Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ancient Aliens - History channel  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: Ancient Aliens - History channel
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
I should get my brother to post photos of his Purple Venusians

Sounds painful!

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
There are no ancient aliens in the sense that they visited from outerspace... we all know they came from the polar openings that lead into the interior of the hollow earth where the remains of the Atlantean civilization resides.

Still... their are a lot of game ideas to be had from shows like that.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Still... their are a lot of game ideas to be had from shows like that.

Yup. And you can use cheap local souvenirs as monsters lol

Offline mondria

• Librarian
    • midnight greys
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
ancients behaving badly other top show lol or ancient battles where the 'hero' never uses a shield just 2 swords why it looks cool lol
and every channel has it own version of the same show, show about logging, pawnshop, fisherman, finding ghost and monsters, pimping something with wheels. overall all the same all the time, I think there are too many channels and so they fill the time with crap shows. Must say I do like some of them they are not all really bad but most are just a waist of time.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Well, it would be really fun to get some of those Brigade Games 1950's style aliens and put them in a variety of historical or pre-historical contexts.  Why shouldn't those aliens interact on our gaming tables with Copplestone cavemen and Pulp Figures Neanderthals and HLBSC Home Erectus, and then encounter ancient Egyptians and Macedonians and Olmecs, followed by encounters with King Arthur and Vikings and Incas.  Could be good contests in there if the alien weapons make a lot of light and noise but aren't actually very lethal to humans (kind of like the pistols in Star Wars).

I think the "Hitler Channel" is now the Military History Channel.  Programs on all the history type channels are really hit and miss.  I'm particularly disappointed in the Sci-Fi channel, however, because about 2/3 to 3/4 of what is on there is something I would classify as supernatural horror instead of Sci-Fi.  I wish that a specific horror channel would take that stuff away from the Sci-Fi channel so that that Sci-Fi channel could just show sci-fi.  But, perhaps worse, is BBC America, which doesn't really show the great BBC programing, such as the Coupling series.  Most of the good BBC stuff on American TV is on the public broadcasting channels.  But there's no "Ancient Aliens at Stonehinge" type shows that I recall on either of those channels.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
Both the History Channel & Si-Fi made some first class original programing in the past. It would be nice if they would rerun some of that stuff instead of c#*p like WCW. I would certainly prefer Farscape reruns or the many History Cannel documentories that haven't been seen for a while. But these channels are owned by the same media giants like Time/Life that want us all watching mind numbing pablum.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »
This is probably a "you kids get offa my lawn" moment, but I remember when History Channel had, you know, actual history, not Von Danniken-esque nonsense. (Similarly, The Learning Channel used to have things worth learning, not "Telepathic Hillbilly Ghosts Haunt My Nineteen Children" or whatever...)

Mind you, it was a bit suspect even then... the nickname "the Hitler Channel" was arrived at honestly!

On the gripping hand, any nonsense that inspires pulpish entertainment can't be all bad!

Rant over. I should get my brother to post photos of his Purple Venusians, they're great pulp aliens.

I remember when "do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel" was not a discussion about interior decorating.

And purple venusian pictures coming eventually. For models they are Mongoose Skinnies, so they stand about 35mm tall but are very skinny.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »
Am currently watching them now. I too don't have cable, download most of the shows I watch from eztv.it. If I see a new series (S01E01) then I will download it and the first few episodes to try it. Otherwise, I just stick to the few I do watch.

As for the Ancient Aliens, it does suffer a bit from what JollyBob said. I agree that it does work good as seeds for adventures (Stargate anyone?)
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.