Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skirmish trays  (Read 4150 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Skirmish trays
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
Well, as mentioned in this thread http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=24090.15 I'm making skirmish trays. The trays are 3mm thick (this is as thin as you can feasibly go with two layers) and have a slightly bevelled edge. The bevel could be a little bit more but only by a couple of degrees.

The figures on it are using a variety of bases. The SYW figures are on tuppences, the aether trooper is on one of my own clear bases and the Imperial Guard beastmen are on normal GW round bases.

Any number of holes can be put in the tray and the tray itself can have any profile or be anysize, e-mail me for more details

info@oshiromodelterrain.co.uk

cheers

James

cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Skirmish trays
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah I wants some, especially if you can bevell the edge some more.  ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline HPFlashman

• Librarian
  • Why dont YOU make for the forlorn hope, old chap ?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »
As a seriously late to the party newbie - how is this equipment to be used ??  :)
Best regards

Harry

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
James.... you have email.   :)

@Flashman
If you look at the thread JB references in the first post, all will become clear.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »
Is the idea here to use the base as is... clear?

Just wondering...  o_o

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
They can be used as clear or textured to your theatre of choice  :)

cheers

James

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »
I like the fact that they're only 3mm thick, all up. Nice!

I'm not going to be in the market for a while, but what would be the rough cost for a 5-figure base, holes to take 20mm bases, in a skirmish/random pattern?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 02:02:13 AM »
As nice as these look -and I don't mean to be a party-pooper here- but aren't the GW slotta bases 3mm thick anyway? So that being the case, why would folks who dislike/hate slottabases like/love these? (Silent Invader et al, I'm looking at you!)

I'm genuinely confused!  ???

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:53:36 AM »
I love this product!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:26 AM »
Hmmmm... Would it be possible to mount the top chamfered plate onto a much thinner base plate, like steel paper or some other very thin but strong sheet material? Which would get rid of the issue of chunkiness. Obviously the end product would no longer be clear - but then selfishly, I'm not bothered about transparency, because I'll texture and decorate mine anyway.

Just a thought...  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:13 AM »
As nice as these look -and I don't mean to be a party-pooper here- but aren't the GW slotta bases 3mm thick anyway? So that being the case, why would folks who dislike/hate slottabases like/love these? (Silent Invader et al, I'm looking at you!)

I'm genuinely confused!  ???

The GW bases were used as an example, the main one being the tuppence which, as you can see, in the last photo barely raises above the surface. Trying to get a compromise that suits everyone isn't the easiest and this the best I can come up with at the moment  :)

Hmmmm... Would it be possible to mount the top chamfered plate onto a much thinner base plate, like steel paper or some other very thin but strong sheet material? Which would get rid of the issue of chunkiness. Obviously the end product would no longer be clear - but then selfishly, I'm not bothered about transparency, because I'll texture and decorate mine anyway.

Just a thought... 

You are an awkward bugger  ;) How easily is the steel to cut around curved profiles (can't laser steel, our machine isn't powerful enough  ;) ).

If you're not worried about the transparency then both layers could be done out of 1mm but for commercial reasons I'm going to keep these ones as they are  :)

cheers

James

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »

I'm genuinely confused!  ???

Well I can't speak for the et al but here's my personal take on it.  :)

I'm sure James won't mind me revealing that I've custom-specified some component parts to experiment with.  

Essentially the parts comprise a 1.5mm thick base plate and 1mm thick rings that I will join with superglue. I'll then texture the uncovered plate area with sand, to bring the level up to the rings (with perhaps a little greenstuff texture on the top surface of the ring to bring its level up to the 1.25mm thick penny-coin mini base).  At about 2.5mm total thickness this will equate to what I can achieve with CD and milliput trays while I am hopeful that the composite will be sufficiently strong/stiff to cope with carriage of the minis.

Sounds like a lot of effort?  Well James offered to supply the base plate and rings assembled but this being an experiment for me, I wanted the option to change my mind before final assembly. Also, much like as explained by jthomlin on the other thread, I will use these trays for display as well as movement, so I'm happy with the trouble.

:)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:49:38 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
The problem with large bases is warping.

My experiments have shown that you need a minimum of 2.5mm to prevent warping.

Personally I like the clear skirmish base.

James, will these bases be special order only or will they appear as a standard product on your web site?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »
Ray, they will be in the catalogue as is but I'm always willing to make custom trays etc  :)

cheers

James

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »
fenris have made these for ages, for 25 and 20mm rounds, in 5 man squads - pretty sure he used to do 10 man squads as well, but they're not on the site at the moment...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fenris-Games/Movement-trays-/_i.html?_nkw=skirmish+tray&_fsub=1040992013&_sid=55776203