Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690882
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Giant Deep One Available from Nameless Design Miniatures  (Read 11992 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: Giant Deep One Available from Nameless Design Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 05:33:19 AM »
thanks for the pics!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
thanks for the pics!

you're welcome... of course you were talking about mine, right?

**ok, end  of the OT XD

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »
LOL to the Depp One...

I have, I think, every Deep One ever produced in Lead... when I get some time, I'll do a comparison with all of them.  I love my new Nameless Design One. 

Think you can do a female version of it for Mother Hydra? 

Come to think of it, there are no obvious female Deep Ones.  Wonder what they would look like - obviously for streamlined swimming, not too large in the breast.  Then again, female fat deposits would work to advantage in hypothermic conditions.  Hmmm... wonder if they have any webbed digit-piercings as a gender statement?  Bet they really go for pearls and coral.

What would armour be on a Deep One?  Sharkskin leather? Sharkstooth chainmail? Scallop-mail? Lobster claw greaves and giant clam shell cuirasses, topped off with a conch helmet?  :D  Not much call for such a beast, but it sure would be bizarre to see on a one-of big baby like this Nameless Design fellow.  A kind of Deep One hero... Pisciles?

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »
As females are often bigger than males in certain fish species, largemouth bass and koi for example, Mother Hydra would actually be bigger than Dagon. But I think both of those demi-gods would be far larger than my giant deep one.

And although I'm sure deep ones enjoy coral and other oceanic baubles they are also capable of smelting metal alloys into beautiful jewelry or have been able to in the past. In The Shadow Over Innsmouth they seemed to have had a collection of jewelry to trade with the Kanakees. Again perhaps this was part of a horde that they had before R'lyeh sank. Assuming that there were deep ones in R'lyeh.

I don't really think that the deep ones are primitive in any way so I don't really see them using found natural materials for clothing. Unless they echo the shapes of those things in their manufactured armor and clothing.

Right now I'm working on a deep one wearing 1920s era American football gear for The Innsmouth Anglers football team.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »

Right now I'm working on a deep one wearing 1920s era American football gear for The Innsmouth Anglers football team.

i had a near sexual experience when i read that!

they must be mine...

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
OMG that Wargames Factory plastic mini is dreadful!

Love the Depp one  :)

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
As females are often bigger than males in certain fish species, largemouth bass and koi for example, Mother Hydra would actually be bigger than Dagon. But I think both of those demi-gods would be far larger than my giant deep one.

And although I'm sure deep ones enjoy coral and other oceanic baubles they are also capable of smelting metal alloys into beautiful jewelry or have been able to in the past. In The Shadow Over Innsmouth they seemed to have had a collection of jewelry to trade with the Kanakees. Again perhaps this was part of a horde that they had before R'lyeh sank. Assuming that there were deep ones in R'lyeh.

I don't really think that the deep ones are primitive in any way so I don't really see them using found natural materials for clothing. Unless they echo the shapes of those things in their manufactured armor and clothing.

Makes sense about the size difference - if the Deep Ones abandon their humanoid shape altogether (and obviously they don't).  I do agree that they wouldn't have primitive clothing, but their styles should reflect the sea.  Human females still go for pearls and coral, so why wouldn't a Deep One?  Then again, what we think of as precious is what is harder to get hold of, so maybe female Deep Ones go for inland jewels like diamonds (though that would be pretty boring and the last thing you'd want to do is bring humanity back to a Deep One).  If I were a Deep One and not able to easily start a forge in a watery environment, I'd be raiding the shipwrecks for human treasures.  Perhaps female Deep Ones hang out near the Carribean looking for pirate loot.  

In CoC, Father Dagon and Mother Hydra are not deities, not even Great Old Ones (which aren't gods but super-aliens); instead, these two personalities are just overlarge, very old leaders of their "race."  In the absence of a Dagon or Hydra 30-40mm tall, this will do for Dagon for me for now.  I don't think any larger would be in keeping with the really dangerous Great Old Ones and deities out there, but then, with all the avatars, size really makes no difference to a god.

Which brings to mind another question: do humans have to reach a certain age of maturity to be turned into a Deep One, or are there child Deep Ones?  In which case, the 15mm Deep Ones out there could make themselve useful on my 25-28mm scale tabletop settings.  No doubt there are adults of small stature, but not likely to go to battle.  As children, they could at least represent a "school."

I think, given the lack of forges under the sea, that we should have more Deep Ones in disguise (like em4's Metal Magic fellow in the overcoat) - and more hybid Deep Ones (like Rattrap's).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:12:51 AM by dreamingleopard »

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »
That's a terriffic figure! I may have to acquire one once next payday coems around ^_^

Dreamingleopard, I think maybe a bit of both. From what I gather DOs breed both among themselves and somehow crossdreed with humans. In the CoC rulebook description it states that DOs are immortal while some hybrids are as well, implying that you get both. Although quite how you get a fishman to mate with a human is beyond anyone's guess.

I would guess also that female deep ones wouldn't neccessairly look any more "femenine" that males; at least how we see them. If Deep Ones still broadcast reproduce (or at the very least lay eggs) then they have no need for mammary glands; the fry will be born of eggs, and probabyl have a yolk sac for a while until a certain stage of maturity, and then eventually develop into fully-formed DOs. Hmmm, taking that idea, it's possible then that DOs have a "larval" stage like amphibians, perhaps infant DOs look nothing more than fish until a certain age when more anthropomorphic development kicks in? Who knows. All fish that I'm aware of lay a vast multitude of eggs; the female laying them before the male(s) fertilise them; both gametes (eggs and sperm) released into the water.
Oh - ancient ones, the fearless gods
I wake you up tonight
To rule the earth again

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
Although quite how you get a fishman to mate with a human is beyond anyone's guess.

If you're really curious, read Alan Moore's new comic, "Neonomicon".  The series is in progress now, on issue 3 or so at the moment.  It concerns specifically your question, is *excellent*, and very nearly X-Rated.

I just finished painting my Giant Deep One - here's a link to some pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=60531&id=100000478943054

-Alex

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
Interesting if a little creepy. Well if it's related to the Mythos then I'll have to have a look. Unfortunately I can't see your pics though; I got rid of my Facebook account a couple of weeks ago.

Offline achab

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
So did I (I mean, get rid of Facebook account). Alternate way of viewing picture would be greatly appreciated :D.

A.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
Not giant, but... still a Depp One

Where's the wry emote when ya's needin' it?
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know who ordered a Giant Deep One that they are on their way! Please let me know what you think and show us how they look once you paint them.

I'm a big deep one fan, but something about this one doesn't work for me, I think it's the legs/body positioning, the knee bending in and the bulk of the legs without muscle definition gives it an almost deformed look, (unless of course that's then intention then I'll shut up ;) ). Not keen on the head either, looks more animal/sub human than fishy.

Don't get me wrong, people do like it and it looks ok painted, just I like my Deep ones a bit more fishy.

Looking forward to the next one though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:31:17 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
Honestly I'm cool with people not liking the giant deep one miniature but I'm also happy when people do. :)

We all have different taste in such matters and we all see different things in our mind's eye when we read fiction. I saw the deep ones as big burly creatures that could barely walk or hop on land but were supremely able to swim and maneuver underwater. Their legs are crooked since they are not used to walking.

One thing that I appreciate about The LAF is that whenever someone has told me that they don't like the mini they usually explain why. Critique is appreciated if it has some thought behind it.

Thanks again to everyone who has bought them, checked them out, or told me what they thought. :D

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
I'll have to wait until at least payday but I'm quite interested in picking me up one of these. I do quite like it. While it's not huge, it adds diversity, just a big, burly deep one dude! perhaps a bodyguard for my BCB deep one shaman  :D