Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TooFatLardies 'Sharp Practice' for the F&IW (TEST Game - 40 Images - 5/1/11)  (Read 23400 times)

Offline Sidney Roundwood

• Assistant
    • Roundwood's World
What a fantastic report....awesome terrain, great figures and top quality action.  I loved the stones as 'shock' markers - they blended in perfectly.   :D

I also liked the subtle tweaks you added to the rules, Steve.  Some of them are very interesting, like the changes to the Grasp the Nettle card and having the Big Men cards being non-named and available to any Big Man of the right level on the same side.  Small changes like that can change the game quite a lot.  Part of the fun of playing a ruleset is that sort of tinkering to find the blend you like - so, more power to you!

As to the size of game, I've played bigger games of Sharp Practice, but many of the very best ones have been with forces of just about the size you're using.

I'm definately looking froward to your next visit to Butler's Landing.  :)

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Excellent report - it's alway nice to see a project carried through from initial inception to a full game!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Perhaps you and Sir Sidney should talk to the Chief Lardster about publishing your "tweaked" abridged version for publication in a Lard special (perhaps a Spring or Summer edition)? As my TFL rules are pdf versions, I haven't spent the time cutting and pasting into an abridged semi QRS but if the owrk has already been done...................  ???
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Absolutely fantastic report, thank you so much for posting it.  I have just started down the FIW journey and this is amazing inspiration.  Please keep us updated.

I started work this week on my own casualty markers based on yours, a lick of static grass tonight and they will be finished.   

I really like those Brit Regulars, can you tell me what make they are?

Please don't apologize for large amounts of pictures, I wouldn't spend the time on a text write up, but if there are pictures, I'm all eyes.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great report SI. In "standard" SP a unit can never be activated more than once, but your variant creates for a faster and more "heroic" game I think.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Truly excellent stuff.  8)
Quite gripping narrative, really enjoyed it.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Truly excellent stuff.  8)
Quite gripping narrative, really enjoyed it.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Yep, I felt quite sorry for the goat herder :'(
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
One thing I did, which I think is how the rules are meant to be played but in any event it actually worked, was to allow Groups to be deployed more than once in a turn.  For example, a Level 1 corporal might activate to move and fire his Group and then, in the same Turn, a Level 3 officer might activate to come along and do something else with them, all depending on card draws and the timing of the Turn end.  All-in-all, the effect was of a constantly evolving game.

I think a question of "chain of command" comes into play here also in the standard SP rules. You can not usually command a Group that is under the command of a superior officer or is not from your parent regiment.

The Trapper was a Big Man in his own right and as a character had quite an effect on the game. 

The trapper sounds like he could have utilized the "Chosen Man" rules and acted like as a sniper.

I did make one significant change, namely to remove the 1xD6 requirement to load a musket.

I don't get this SI, 1xD6 to load?

I have very much enjoyed my foray into Sharp Practice to the extent that I think it (with my tweaks) will become my ‘standard’ rule set.

I'm so pleased the rules have worked for you and you are having fun tweaking it to suite your needs. Again brilliant write-up and can't wait to see more.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
One of my tweaks is to the chain of command as I allow what I call officers, that is level 3 and 4, to direct units from other regiments.  Thus a level 1 corporal can command only a group of his regiment, while a level 2 sergeant can command a formation of 2 groups from his own regiment, while a level 3 Captain can lead a formation of say 2 groups from different regiments.  In my Game the senior British Big Man was a level 3 officer from the Rangers, who directed redcoats as well.  This change was intended to reflect the sometimes fractured nature of F&IW fighting.

Sounds like a great rule for the F&IW that makes sense.  :)

Regarding the 1xD6 for musket loading, I'm refering to  the Action Dice table (rule 2.4.1) which says that "reload musket" costs 1 Dice.  I've made this (and tap-loading a Rifle) 0xD6, with loading a rifle reduced from 2xD6 to 1xD6.  I might have got this wrong but my reading of the rules is that a standard activation comprises 2 Action Dice, of which say 1 could be allocated to moving and the other to  loading.  My tweaks means that one is being allocated to moving and then the second to firing (loading being presumed). The effect of the change is therefore more firing, sooner.

Sorry - the use of the term 1xD6 confused me a little. Basically you have ruled that the Fire action includes an automatic Reload action. I get it now - certainly more deadly and allows each group to possibly fire twice in their activation. Combined with the ability to activate a group more than once a turn, this could result in a LOT of lead being fired by any given group. Some of our tenser moments in our games have come from making the decision to either reload after firing or to move/retreat. You should experiment with this I think, you may find the same dilemma.

Are you using the Sharp Practice card, if so who gets it? It will provide even more fire power?  ;D

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
Great report the photos! Really enjoyed it  :D

Thanks for sharing your tweeks as well.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Sambeaux

• Schoolboy
Is these buy the same persons who produce Mud and the Blood? 

Offline Vasa

• Assistant
Great report! :) Ver nice miniatures and the terrain!

Yesterday I had my first game with the Sharp Practice rules. It was very interest game, OK we checked very often in the rules and sometimes forgot some abiliites, but still it was very good game. We also had discussion if one unit can be activated more than once. OK, the ruleset than says no, but we tried both options to see how it reflects in the game. You had right, it is much bloody. :)
I am thinking that we will do more test games in the future, the ruleset is very promising.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
I can't state how inspired I have become due to this thread.  It has fueled my reading and imagination for a few weeks now.  I have been trying to digest the silent invaders blog as much as I can.

If I can't figure out how to reproduce one of those canoes SI, I just might go crazy trying.  Freakin' beautiful work.  I live in Vermont and my main source of heat is a wood burning stove.  I have been saving as much of the birch bark as I can before I burn it.  Previously I had wanted to make a long house out of it (in 28mm of course  :) ), but now I'm wondering if a canoe might be possible?  Highly unlikely I'm realizing as I typed that last sentence.

Anyway, I have accomplished my clone of your shock markers.

More bits and bobs can be found on my blog
http://syw6mm.com/2011/01/keeping-busy/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
If, like me, you are less talented than SI you can buy excellent canoes from Conquest. He's got them with a variety of crews (Indians, rangers, French "marines", and trappers IIRC).

Offline saltflats1929

• Student
    • blog
Re: TooFatLardies 'Sharp Practice' for the F&IW
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 12:30:06 AM »
Recently posted on TFL Yahoo site.
http://saltflats1929.blogspot.com/

On site once you're in there is a file "Sharpe practice 18th century" that includes FIW and AWI info and a few scenarios.

My blog beat me to this forum.  There's a new update from a game this past weekend for those interested.

SI- You're stuff looks great.  Very impressive terrain.