Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Games to do Chaos dwarfs!  (Read 10729 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Mantic Games to do Chaos dwarfs!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
Just seen some blurred stills on TGN and now know that these new dwarves are definately not for me, not least because they have spelt chaos with a "k"
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
I received my free sprue of two ghouls a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was really impressed. They didn't look cartoony at all!

I found the GW plastic ghouls to be too small for my liking, and was dissapointed after waiting so long to buy a box.

Overall, I'm not really impressed with Mantic Games but I do like some of their stuff.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
A few weeks? wow, I guess they really did get a lot more interest in that then they had thought.  lol But I agree they are rather nice, I would also like a sprue or two more of them, but not much more then that. The same goes for the zombies and skeletons. Pity they specialize in "regiment building" and thus only sell big boxes of miniatures.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »
I received my free sprue of two ghouls a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was really impressed. They didn't look cartoony at all!

I found the GW plastic ghouls to be too small for my liking, and was dissapointed after waiting so long to buy a box.

Overall, I'm not really impressed with Mantic Games but I do like some of their stuff.

Mantic's ghouls are great, the zombies too are pretty good. The skeletons have more of a caricatured evil look about them with sharply raised brows and stuff, like the ones in Army of Darkness, but the ghouls I agree are brilliant and easily their best kit in my opinion.

I would also like a sprue or two more of them, but not much more then that. The same goes for the zombies and skeletons. Pity they specialize in "regiment building" and thus only sell big boxes of miniatures.

Aw come on when are you ever gonna only need 4-5 skeletons/zombies/ghouls for your protagonists to knock out the way. Even Jason and the Argonauts had 7 skeletons so 10 gives you a couple spare.

Certainly for that sort of thing the Soultaker Detachment box is almost right £18 for 20 armoured skeletons and 10 ghouls...just a shame it's not 10 skeletons, 20 ghouls or 10 skeletons, 10 ghouls, 10 zombies.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:12:30 PM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »
True enough, the undead are something one can safely say are useful to have in numbers.
Still I would have loved it if mantic did variety packs, one of each sprue from an army, or something like that.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »
These look a bit odd,

Its like others have said,

I find myself desperately wanting to like their stuff, but just not quite being able to

quite sad as I think their ideas are very good.

dodge

ps I dont like their dwarves or the elves

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 01:45:11 PM »
I don't like fat elves, but the mantic ones have torsos so thin they must be full after a couple of pringles!  :)
No, no, no. They are thin because they don't eat Pringles!  lol

Still I would have loved it if mantic did variety packs, one of each sprue from an army, or something like that.
I believe Mantic are quite responsive to suggestions like these (look at the Zombie / German collaboration they did for Halloween), so why not email them and suggest it? If they didn't have to make new boxes or cut new sprue moulds, they'd probably do it.

I do agree that I just can't seem to love (or even care much) about the Mantic models... Their sole selling point seems to be that they are "okay and very cheap, so you can buy lots and lots". (That same selling point fails to sell me any Wargames Factory stuff as well).  :?

The only Mantic models that I thought were even remotely passable are the Undead ones. And I think that was just because they presented us with something that we were all familiar with and liked. The Elves and Dwarves have been 're-imagined' and I don't think their new image and styling is very good compared to what's out there in other games/backgrounds.

For example, if the Elves had been more feudal-Japan styled, and the Dwarves had looked more industrialised and Western (and lost the stupid beards the Mantic ones have been stuck with), I think the ranges could have looked much better and been more inspired/inspiring.

These new Mantic Chaos Dwarves...? Still not feeling it, sorry.   :(

(Oh BTW, I've always liked the big-hat Chaos Dwarves by GW! I also like the new sleeker look though.)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
I like what I see so far!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
Yea I still want a few of their undead for my SoBaH warband, but they come in quantities I have no use for.  lol

PM me as I might be able to let you have a few zombie sprues.

The Commander.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
I have about 100 of their undead minis (I should really post pics...) from all the plastic boxed sets.  Lovely characterful figures, and a joy to paint.  My only complaint was the lack of variation on the ghoul sprues, but making the zombies compatible has solved that problem.  I'm looking forward to the release of the Revenant Knights next week.

I'm less keen on the dwarf and elf sets from the pictures I've seen, but if I was planning a dwarf army I'd give the plastics a second look - probably buy a set of 10 and paint up a test unit.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
The mantic website now has more pictures of them up.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
The Mantic blog:
http://www.manticblog.com/?utm_source=Mantic+Games+Newsletter&utm_campaign=873bbf7924-Mantic_Games_Newsletter_68&utm_medium=email

Has some more pictures, the style seems to be a bit more established in these pictures, tough I doubt they will convince any of you. They also have the first pictures of goblins, and those I do like, tough I'm not sure they are what I would call hobgoblins, ah well.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
to be honest, don't like the concept, seems to try to mix both old styles of GW chaos dwarves.
I would say the result is a bit sad, these are two too  different styles, find a hibrid to please the followers of each style is quite hard, could be clever in terms of sales, but if you fail you can lose both market targets.
IMHO they would do better trying something on his own way with more personality, at the end of the day is what people likes on the old styles, each one has his own personality.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
"Khaos" Dwarfs...  ::)

At least use some imagination, Mantic.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Unimaginative, unoriginal and very underhand tactic.

However, someone had to do them, I understand the masturbatory act that this probably is for the people at Mantic. It's a result of them all being GW fanboys who have all been waiting for Chaos Dwarfs.
It feels wrong for them to use the concept that GW made years ago though, but had they not done that it probably wouldn't be recieved as well as it will be.

Regardless of that, I think the sculpts are okay, but I still don't like their Dwarves or Skeletons, the elves are okay, but a little too thin for my taste (My favourite elves are AA's old 'Crystal Elves').

In my book, Mantic will always be controversial, but I really don't see them as a 'long term' company with any original ideas.

Khaos Dwarves? That's just plain lazy. Even 'Arse-eeryan' Dwarves would have been more creative.