Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 841
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain Board (Image Heavy)  (Read 29911 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: New Project
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »
Many thanks for the tips, chaps, may yet see if the feckless idiots in our local can get me some.  :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
Yea, new board to play on! It almost gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! :)

Don't know if your planning any buildings for your table, but have you seen this site?

http://www.tabletop-world.com/index.php

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
Just ordered a dremel 300, just aswell its my birthday!

Andy i'd love some of the tabletop world stuff but its pretty expensive!

Cheers
andy

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »
At last an update, I've spent some of today working of the first board, lots of sanding, cutting and gluing. The Dremel has come in really handy. I've still to use Captain Blood's icing method.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
Looking good!

Your parents are going to hate the mess that'll be causing.....

Is that a road going through the river?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
Andy, you have the route 1 terrain-building approach nailed sir!  ;)

The icing is the best bit  :D

How do you like the dremel?

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Re: New Project (Image Heavy)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
Cheers, finishing icing on the second board tonight.

The dremel is great, although its seems to cut the foam rather than sanding! So i finished alot by hand. Still really speeds the process up.

I'm looking at static grass, not sure what to go for- soo many different choices, plus i've never used static grass before. Any advice would be great.

I'm editing to avoid double posting

I'm just finished 'icing' both boards. They still need to dry and be lightly sanded.

I'm planning on using the above layout as a 'forest' or as a single cottage in hill terrain

I'm planning on using the above layout for perhaps a small Carpathian village

A short ruined section of wall, to break the board up. A  20cmx15cm base will fit quite comfortably in the wall. I'm hoping that this will fit most buildings. I'm not sure what to do to fill the holes. Would watered down PVA work?

A wee copy of the Captains idea he used (the two riverside cliffs facing each other). As yo can see the filler needs a wee bit of a sanding before I'm finished.

Comments and critiques welcome!

Cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:39:31 PM by oldskoolrebel »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »
Looking really good and as you have said very versatile in the way the boards can be arranged. Looking forward to seeing the next stages.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
Don't know if it's still possible, but you could cut the board into quarters. That would give you more versatility. It would only work though if the river was in the middle of each section...

Still, coming along nicely Andy!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 11:58:34 AM »
Good icing there Andy  :D (It's fun isn't it?! Onto cakes next... terrain cakes for wargamers, now there's a marketing idea...  ;))

I would say that one or two of your hills look perhaps a little steep sided - that may have been your intention, but if not, you can always build up another layer of filler to spread the hills out slightly and make the slopes shallower.
Obviously, you can't lay the filler on too thick though - as you've probably found - cos it just stays soggy and doesn't 'go off'!

For the holes in your wall, I'd mix some filler into some PVa so you've got a kind of gruel consistency, then paint that on. You could let it half-dry, then wipe off any excess, so it fills the holes without obscuring too much detail on the stones themselves, although it probably wouldn't do any harm just to slather it over the whole thing. It will certainly bond it in position!

Don't forget to scatter some gravelly / rocky / rubbly bits around the edges of your cliffs to represent minor rockfalls.

I use woodland scenics 'medium turf' (lots of different colour choices, depending on the climate / landscape you're going for) with a bit of static grass mixed in. The 'turf' is basically foam rubber powder. I prefer the finish to out-and-out static grass, but whatever your preference. Static grass will work. Most model shops / model railway shops carry a huge range of scenic scatter materials.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
Looking great Andy :-* :-* :-*
What, when and where are we playig on it?

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
Progress has been slow with Christmas and being ill this week (which is why I never made the game on Wednesday Colin). So far the board has had some detail added (in the form of scree, a couple of cairns and some mortar added to the wall), I've also sprayed it black and have started to apply the base colour.

For the base colour I've chosen "Raw Earth" by Fired Earth; they're a company that produces wallpaint. I managed to get a couple of samples from my local BnQ. In my estimation this colour is pretty similar to GW's graveyard earth which I use on the bases of most of my miniatures (and if I remember correctly so does Gamermac, not so sure about AndyM.

I've ended up brushing the first coat on, as I found that I couldn't get a good enough coverage with a borrowed airbrush. To be honest I think it's more to do with my lack of airbursh knowledge than the brush itself! Still I feel competed enough to use it for the remaining highlight coats.

A few days ago I submitted a fairly large order to Antenocitis. I'm hoping that it should contain enough scatter material to cover the board. I also added some trees into my basket, I was that impressed with Captain Blood's ones. Gamermac and AndyM have some pretty nice trees made from twigs, but I'm too impatient to set about gather sticks, I think in this instance I'll take the easy way out.

Don't know if it's still possible, but you could cut the board into quarters. That would give you more versatility. It would only work though if the river was in the middle of each section...

Still, coming along nicely Andy!
Cheers Andy!
I had considered doing it this way, but I'd have need some boards to rest the segments on, so I decided against it (I don't have a big enough table to comfortably and securely sit board segments on). I'm not convinced if I've come to the correct solution, as each segment would probably be useful for .45A. I'll maybe try it with the next board.

Good icing there Andy  :D (It's fun isn't it?! Onto cakes next... terrain cakes for wargamers, now there's a marketing idea...  ;))

I would say that one or two of your hills look perhaps a little steep sided - that may have been your intention, but if not, you can always build up another layer of filler to spread the hills out slightly and make the slopes shallower.

I'm not sure about cakes- Anytime that I've tried to make flapjacks they fails spectacularly! Although I do like the idea of edible terrain and counters, infact ever models. When you take a casualty remove the model and eat it! Perhaps your opponent should eat it rather than you!

I agree with you about some of the hills looking a little steep sided; they where the first ones that I started to work on. I'm going to leave them as they are and call it a 'learning opportunity'.

Also thanks for the advice about scatter material!

Looking great Andy :-* :-* :-*
What, when and where are we playig on it?

When it's finished of course Colin!  lol

As for games, I have a few ideas. I'm painting some of my Lord of the Rings miniatures at the moment. I also fancy Chaos in Carpathia. However I have a .45A game planned for one Wednesday night using the soon to be released Fenris Modern Adventurers, although I think I will wait until the 2nd Edition .45A rules are released.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
Fired Earth paints eh?  You must have deep pockets.They aint the cheapest, but a nice range of colours.

Looking forward to seeing the next stage. :)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
Fired Earth paints eh?  You must have deep pockets.They aint the cheapest, but a nice range of colours.

Looking forward to seeing the next stage. :)

Alot cheaper than using GW paints  lol.

What I'm not telling you is that they where reduced... bashed tins! Plus they where only samples. Thank you Mr Kevin McCloud! 

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »
Its all coming along smartly.  Looking forward to seeing some more photos.  ;)  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)