Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690580
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Legion of Shame  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
The Legion of Shame
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:37:35 PM »

This is the Legion of Shame.  One hundred of my most neglected shelf queens.  Most of these troops have been on my shelf of shame for 6-10 years gathering dust and getting damaged from various falls from the shelf.  Years they have spent on my shelves or in boxes under my shelves lonely and forgotten.  How many times they sat by while newer and flashier troops were painted up and fielded in important conflicts?  How many times were they forced into dungeons or onto fields to perform the role of stunt double simply because they were close at hand?   How many nameless battles were they cut down like dogs in their shameful nakedness trying in vain to defend themselves with blacken weapons and un-blazoned shields?  How much longer will they be forced to endure such misery?  No longer!  They have gathered in force and demanded the attention they have been denied for so long.  Give us paint or give us death!  Their battle cry rings across my studio so loud that it cannot be ignored any longer!  As the vanguard of their forces pushes it’s way onto my painting table I see a mixed company of unlikely allies.  Four undead witches I converted years ago for “The Witchfire Trilogy”.  A young wizard in a pointed hat I sculpted and had cast in limited run.  Nine mixed Empire soldiers.  Another wizard with a staff and crystal ball seemed to be aiding those men.  And behind all those came a savage pack of beastmen from the dark forest of the Empire.  They drove my current projects from the table with a furry that would frighten the gods and then held their ground looking straight at me.  Or at least they would have been looking at me if any of them had eyes to actually look with.  Still it was clear that my table would know no peace until their fury was abated.   So it is with brush in trembling hand I approach my painting table uncertain of my fate.  Will I be able to finish these troops in time before the next wave is upon me?  Only time will tell……

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:31:04 AM »

Ok I've got the base colors down on the first five.  I think I have about 3 hours of paint time in here but I didn't keep real close track because I had to get up from the paint table quite a few times.  Now they are ready for their wash.

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:01:29 AM »
Good luck on your mammoth task!  I'm curious to see how well you do...   :wink:

What kind of timeline are you trying to get these all painted in?

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »
I wonder how many of us have a similar amount of 'hidden' figures..?

I myself have an entire Foundry Imperial Roman army still in the blisters from nearly 10 years ago  :D

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:06:06 PM »
Yeah, I can relate. I have a Taifa-load of Andalusians and a couple of 6mm sci-fi armies. And a bunch of spaceships and Jovian Chronicles exos, but them I'm starting to get around to painting now.

And like Ironworker, I've also got a bunch of old GW stuff. I don't really plan to ever return to painting them, though. Except maybe the Kroot and Dark Eldar Wyches for some sword-and-planet style gaming. And the odd Chaos or Lizardman miniature for Broadsword Adventures.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
Quote from: "Auton"
I wonder how many of us have a similar amount of 'hidden' figures..?

an urban legend says if a wargamer paints all his minis, he will die the next day at midnight he finishs the last one  :lol:  :lol:
* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
Fiddlesticks! I have two complete ranges of Mithril Miniatures (that is a thousand plus miniatures to you) of which half of them I have always intended to paint. The oldest have been sitting arround since '82.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:18:05 PM »
Quote from: "poulppy"
an urban legend says if a wargamer paints all his minis, he will die the next day at midnight he finishs the last one  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:

That's why I keep a healthy padding of unpainted miniatures.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
Here's this group with the wash.  I think I have about two and a half to three hours in them not counting watching the wash dry.  I did some skintone work on the Beastmen while the wash was drying.  I think I can finish these in about two or three more hours of painting at the most.  

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 03:10:27 PM »
Quote from: "Wallyocerous"
Good luck on your mammoth task!  I'm curious to see how well you do...   :wink:

What kind of timeline are you trying to get these all painted in?

My timeline is as soon as possible.  I'll be quite happy if I can finish 25 a week but I do have some other projects as well including the lead painters legue which some of these might get entered into.  And then there is my regular work.

Offline SirFuzaba

• Assistant
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 05:51:38 AM »
Whats figure on right, with the funny hat?

Thanks

Fuzaba

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 07:33:29 AM »
That's Omar.  He's a character from one of my friends art series.  I sculpted him and got the opertunity to have him cast up along with a few other sculpts of mine.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
"an urban legend says if a wargamer paints all his minis, he will die the next day at midnight he finishs the last one"

I'm hoping that the opposite is true - I have enough to keep me painting every day for about  70 years & I'm 46  :lol:

Hey Ironworker, you've given me some real inspiration to try the same thing with some of my poor neglected little friends.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Ian

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 11:37:58 PM »
Well I finished these 5 today.  I think I put another three or so hours of painting into them which makes the total time spent painting these five minis between six and eight hours.  Not bad I suppose but I'd like to get a bit faster.  

They ain't super pretty but they are serviceable.

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
The Legion of Shame
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 03:55:48 AM »
Those skeletons have a good head of hair on them!  They look like Rocker Skeletons!   :lol:   Good job on getting them painted so fast.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.