Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: True Grit is back  (Read 13161 times)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: True Grit is back
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
That is really a problem nervisfr. But I think its not that bad with a 40 years old movie. That happened before with movies from the 20`s filmed new in the 30`s , 40`s or 50`s
I think what is more disturbing that Hollywood makes remakes from successful and brilliant European films. I don t get the point why a good movie should be better or different when its filmed new. Probably it is more American and sells better.
Anyway... I am looking forward to True Grit. It can t be worth than Stagecoach with Cash, Nelson and Waylon Jennings  ;)
, ,

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »
There's no bigger Cohen Brothers fan than me, but their remake of "The Ladykillers" was not very good and it added nothing to the original.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 12:25:02 PM »
oh, for Ladykillers, it's a good movie with an excellent Tom hanks, very well directed by the Cohen brother.  lol

but, like most remake, not comparaison with the original.... :'(

so for True Grit, i think it'll be a good western if you don't related to the original one.
Anyway, most of spectators (less than 30 years old) don't know the john wayne version.... lol
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »
I don't know, I love both versions of "The Ladykillers" but they are so different I don't even consider the second one a remake. I'm expecting the same from True Grit. Maybe it can redeem Jeff Bridges for that horrible King Kong remake in the 1970s.  ;)

When I told my wife (a huge fan of westerns and John Wayne) about this last night she was sure it would be horrible...until she watched a couple of trailers. Now I think she is as excited to see it as I am.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »
I was leery when I heard this was on the way, but given the cast & directors (and the idea that it's hewing a bit more closely to the book rather than the first film) I'm looking forward to it.

Hollywood's problem isn't lazy writers, it's fearful studio executives. These days, about 75-80% of a movie's total lifetime revenue has to happen in the first three weeks it's in the theaters - and more than half of that has to happen on the first weekend. They refuse to make, distribute and promote a film that isn't easily marketable to most of the movie-going public. Mostly, the studios want "product", and they want something that's pretty much the same as the last thing that made mega-bucks, only "a little better".

But only a very little bit different, because different is risky, and they're spending millions of someone else's dollars...

Sad but true. With the economy shaky, they're all afraid of ending up like MGM, with major projects and properties sitting on a shelf because their creditors called in all the notes early and sent them to bankruptcy court. (MGM's sitting on the finished-but-might-never-be-released "Red Dawn" remake, and the "might-never-be-made" newest James Bond film, title and shooting date entirely uncertain...)

from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
even the cohen have no more imagination for do better than a remake.........?
Strange. :'(
by now, Hollywood is a big nest of lazy writers. Let's go to plunder what was done in the last century and let's make it revival with this material. Easy and cheap to make big money...... :?

Money is what it  is all about now days.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
oh, for Ladykillers, it's a good movie with an excellent Tom hanks, very well directed by the Cohen brother.  lol

Come on Nervisfr - 'excellent Tom Hanks', the only actor ever to be out acted by a basketball!  lol

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
I see it as being not so much a remake of the John Wayne movie, but a movie that follows the book, so I'm interested in seeing it. Cast is great too. I suppose, when you think about it, that a film version of a book is also a 'remake' of sorts, but we don't usually (I say 'usually') have any problem with them. The obvious exception, of course, is the movie version of Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses. Brilliant book, bloody awful movie 'remake'.

But anyway, I think this one's going to be great.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
Come on Nervisfr - 'excellent Tom Hanks', the only actor ever to be out acted by a basketball!  lol

Some actors have the advantage of having a part written specifically for them...

SteveN

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
I think the new version is a very enjoyable movie. Jeff Bridges gargles his way through the  movie brilliantly.  lol

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »
I saw the new True Grit last week and I thought that it was very good. I don't remember the John Wayne version all that well (I think I saw it upon its original release and never since). The little girl's performance is absolutely fantastic.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
Don't care about the remake debate.  On their day the Cohen brothers are the best directors on the planet, period.  Jeff Bridges is a superb actor, and this is a great story.  So it bodes well.  Definetly going to see it.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Don't care about the remake debate.  On their day the Cohen brothers are the best directors on the planet, period.  Jeff Bridges is a superb actor, and this is a great story.  So it bodes well.  Definetly going to see it.

If that's your opinion you won't be disappointed. I hold the Coens to be among the best to and Jeff Bridges let lose to do his best is a real treat.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
I saw True Grit and it was awesome!
Now I have to see the original...
And it's the COEN brothers...no H  ;)
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
Saw it last week, loved it. Gotta support the 'local heroes" (Coen Bros grew up in the other end of the Minneapolis suburb in which I have resided for 20+ years)
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me