Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brush reccomendations, please... Noob ?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline HPFlashman

• Librarian
  • Why dont YOU make for the forlorn hope, old chap ?
Brush reccomendations, please... Noob ?
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
I`m looking for recommendations  in regards sizes and manufacturers to get together a suitable selection for painting:

* 28MM figures
*Terrain and other accessories

I`ve gotten hold of some figures and a range of Vallejo paints, but would appreciate any discussion/advice and recommendations as to getting a suitable selection of brushes. Searched the forums, and found only snippets of info. :)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:22:38 PM by HPFlashman »
Best regards

Harry

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Brush reccomendations, please... Noob ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »
I think there are two groups of brush-lovers for miniature painting:

1) Rosemary & co series 33 (IIRC):
http://www.rosemaryandco.com/pure-kolinsky-sable-series-pure-kolinsky-pointed-c-77_84.html

2) Windsor & Newton Series 7:
http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/brushes-series-7-kolinsky-watercolour-brush.htm

I'm in the second group ;). I think Rosemary & co work well, but I can't do the more intricate stuff like freehands with them. The W&N Series 7 are more my thing. But it's all a matter of taste.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
Yep, gotta agree  :D

Windsor and Newton series 7 000 and 00 miniature brushes work best for me  8)

They were designed for Queen Victoria apparently.
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
Windsor and Newton series 7 000 and 00 miniature brushes work best for me  8)

They were designed for Queen Victoria apparently.

She was, apparently, not a very good figure painter.   ;)

I'm a "Rosemary" brushes person.  But as others have said, down to personal taste and, to a degree, how you paint.  As the "Rosemary" are not as expensive as W&N 7s' you might want to try them first. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Malebolgia's recommendations are very good (I like W&N Series 7 too, and use a size 1 for just about everything - even the highlights on eyes).

However, a typical size 1 W&N7 brush will run you about £7.00 plus shipping as an average good price.

If you are learning to paint, then I'd suggest some cheaper but still decent sable brushes for miniatures. The Vallejo red sable brushes are very reasonable, and you can get them from SnM Stuff here. They sell the same brushes as Vallejo, but in their non-branded form straight from the manufacturer, which makes them cheaper.

For painting terrain, I'd suggest using craft acrylic paint rather than the model acrylic paint as they are much cheaper and you won't need the same properties as for painting figures. Any half-decent art store will carry several economical ranges, so have a look around and get a sensible selection.

Brushes-wise, get some cheap but half-decent watercolour brushes for painting terrain. They will have a hard life, and whilst you do want something that will be a good and useful tool, you don't want to burn through expensive brushes where they are overkill. I get all my brushes (including the W&N7s) from Ken Bromley, who do a decent budget range of watercolour brushes here.

If you want to drybrush any of your terrain, get yourself some brushes designed for oil painting, as they are stiffer and will not only work better but last longer too. These perhaps? I like natural brush bristles myself, but others prefer synthetic bristles. Try them out and see what you prefer - you can always keep the one you like least for applying glue with!

Finally, assuming that you are new to all this painting models malarky, I'll leave you with a few tips that I found enlightening when I started out and made a huge difference:

1) Always use a bigger brush than you think you'll need, and always use brushes with sharp points for detail work rather than teeny-tiny brushes. The bigger brushes hold more paint and don't dry out, which makes it easier to do neat detail work. The sharpness of the brush tip is what gives you fine control over detail work, not the brush size.

2) Thin your paints. Rather a lot in fact. It is better to apply the paint in three thin layers than two thicker ones as you will get a smoother finish and will preserve the detail of the model. Load the brush with less paint to improve control when applying it to the model - easier with thin paint. The thin paint also dries less in the brush, which when combined with frequent brush rinsing, extends the life of your brushes.

3) Don't just go with the the 'easiest' technique when you start out. Try shading and highlighting as well as drybrushing and inking, and see what the differences are. Take your time, and have go at different methods to see what you think you prefer. Some techniques have obvious advantages (like speed) over others, but it is always harder to be open to new things once you're stuck in your ways! :P

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
Have to agree with Malebolgia and Orctrader on the Rosemary brushes for figure painting.

If you are just starting out painting 28mm figures I would highly reccommend Kevin Dallimore's first book as a painting and technique guide, followed by Steve Dean's Painting site as he has some step by step tutorials.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
She was, apparently, not a very good figure painter.   ;)

You can mock, but I don't see anyone wargaming the Orctrader period  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »

Touché Monsieur Bugsda! Excellent riposte there  lol

But I followed OT's advice on Rosemary & Co a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back.

I do agree the W&N 7 series are the absolute business, but they're also three times the price of the Rosemary offering, and they certainly ain't three times as good   ::)

But a paintslinger's choice of weapon is an intensely personal and profound matter...  :)

Actually, I'm surprised a you don't have pearl handled specials  :D

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »

Yeah and there are some pretty 'ard figures of the old girl, and reality she was tough as nails! I wouldn't want to mess with her!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »
Putting on my social conscience hat, I have stayed clear of the sable brushes as I am unsure as to whether they are a product of the fur trade.  Am I wrong thinking this?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline HPFlashman

• Librarian
  • Why dont YOU make for the forlorn hope, old chap ?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice, fellas - lot of food for thoughts and speculations. Much obliged. :)