Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:27:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691018
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 745
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review Dust Tactics from FFG  (Read 10342 times)

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
Review Dust Tactics from FFG
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
I just posted an in-depth review of Dust Tactics the board game from Fantasy Flight Games...

http://wargameguru.weebly.com/in-focus-review---dust-tactics.html

Enjoy!

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Re: Review Dust Tactics from FFG
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:36:29 PM »
Thanks for the thorough review.  I've had one of the base sets for almost two weeks but have only managed to get in a five games.  I'm a traditional wargamer but have young sons who aren't old enough to handle complicated games yet.  I'm always on the lookout for games that are fun but simple enough for them to handle and this one really does hit that sweet spot.  My 8 year old was able to pick it up after just one practice game. 

I do disagree with you one point.  The human models are quite large in comparrison to most historical or weird WWII figures I've seen.  The other figures I have in the genre (West wind SOTR and Warlord Bolt Action) all tend to be around 1/55 scale where I calulated the Dust Tactics figures to be about 1/48.  They are more in line with AT-43 or Wizkids Clix figures.

Combine the scale difference with the taller and wider base and they look too far out of place too me. with other weird WWII models.

On the other hand, the value and varriety of the figures included means you could go in with a freind on two boxes and have plenty of figures to build up some decent forces for both sides of a SOTR battle.

Offline Dagorlad

• Student
    • The One Ring
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:12 AM »
Thanks for the review WGG, excellent reading.

It's certainly on my hit list for 2011 - those walkers are superbly designed and sit very comfortably alongside M24 Chaffey or King Tiger tanks. Looking forward to what Paulo Parente comes up with for other factions, such as the Russians and Japanese (assuming he heads down that path).
Dags

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:16:38 AM »
Thanks for the review from me as well. I've been looking at a box in my local gaming store and going online for information about this game. I decided it would just be another distraction from my other painting but those mechs are really nice.
Did they can the M8 based walker I've seen photos of? You seem to have two Sherman types in your box.
I have a Tamiya Pershing which needs painting up which would go nice with these.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
one question what plastic is these made of?

Offline apeekaboo

• Librarian
  • shambler
    • apeekaboo:s wonderful world
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
I just posted an in-depth review of Dust Tactics the board game from Fantasy Flight Games...

Thanks for the review WGG!  :-*
I bought this at my local dealer after reading your review.
Got it for cheap, as they had a discount on it because of shipping damage to the box.
The damage was almost invisible, most other shops would probably have charged full price.

Let me tell you, this box is HUGE! I don't know what shelf I could possibly fit this box on.
The box itself is filled to the brim with cool stuff, like miniatures, terrain, comic magazine and what not.
Unboxing it was very satisfying...   ;D

I'm not sure about the priming though... I painted the mechs, but felt the paint had some trouble sticking to the minis.
I want to paint to a quick paint job on these miniatures, not having them sitting unfinished on my painting desk forever (Space Hulk...)
I'm thinking priming, a quick brush job and then dipping them in Quickshade.
Army Painter is recommending Strong tone for most armies. Anyone have any experience and recommendations on this?

Cheers

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
Fantastic review! THANX alot. I only just this week saw the box for the first time.

Why would anyone want to pay $200 for pre painted?
Is there something else in the Delux box, or is it all the pre-painted?

I'd rather have them blank. The basic primer you mention sounds alright tho.
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
Fantastic review! THANX alot. I only just this week saw the box for the first time.

Why would anyone want to pay $200 for pre painted?
Is there something else in the Delux box, or is it all the pre-painted?

I'd rather have them blank. The basic primer you mention sounds alright tho.
I liked them painted, the quality is really good and that many minis already painted for only $ 100 more beats any paint service of comparable quality I know!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de