Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Mist - a game idea (based on the book and the film of same name)  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
I was listening to the audio book version of Stephen King's "The Mist" (I tried to watch my copy of the film, but it wont work in the player anymore  :( ) and it started me thinking of using the idea for a SA game.

Setup - place a number of buildings and some obstacles like fences around the board. Place the Agents on the board - anywhere the player likes.

Starting with turn one mist will appear. I was thinking of cotton wool thinned out on a base to represent mist.

Roll to see which side the mist arrives on, and it will travel to the opposite side through out the game.

Each turn more mist (1d6 mist bases?) adding to the thickness of the mist.

Lurkers - the mist brings nasties with it. Any agent in base contact with the mist may be attacked by a tentacle, giant stinging flies or spider things.

Each lurker is of low level power, but there will be many of them - roll to see what appears in the mist each turn too.

I was thinking that the game lasts until daylight arrives  - so there will be many turns.  Maybe make one turn the equivalent of 30 mins giving 20 turns, or one hour giving 10 turns.   Maybe more turns with a smaller time scale.

Agents can try to flee, but only if a) they go insane, or b) there is mist all over the playing area... i.e. they can't leave before the mist arrives.

Any suggestions for better mechanics, figures to use for the lurkers or other thoughts most welcome.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: The Mist - a game idea (based on the book and the film of same name)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »
This sounds very cool. I love the book and the movie was pretty good too.
Your idea sounds pretty good. I'd be interested to see how this works out.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
Great idea! Looking forward to see this shape up. The second issue of Shocking Tales will have rules for Black Dossier Case Files...this would be a perfect one of those... :P

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:29:33 PM »
Sorta off topic, but am I the only one that thought the movie had a better ending than the book?
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
Sorta off topic, but am I the only one that thought the movie had a better ending than the book?

Don't remember the ending of the book, but the movie made me want to find and punch the director. What an obnoxious way to end a movie.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »

hmmm - the book ended too suddenly, so to that end, the film was better, but the ending of the film was a complete bummer.  

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
I'm torn between the two. I like the book ending because it's less horrible but the film ending was pretty good too. It does end qute suddenly though.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »
Posted a project thread on this a long time ago, seriously stalled. Be good to see where you go with your idea.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »
ok a quick test of the mist indicates I need a better system for the mist to appear - otherwise it will take for ever or even not at all for the mist to appear.

so - maybe place the all the mist after the Threshold player has set up?  Or, increase the amount of mist appearing each turn and allow for pockets of no mist so the agents can get a breather?

three turns:

I rolled 1d3 to see how far the mist would move each turn. and 1d6 for the amount of 'mist balls' that would appear.  The movement was good, but needs more mist.

Maybe 1d6+ game turn # mist appears each turn? that way it starts out small but then becomes very very big.

Oh - it looks like I will need a lot of cotton wool balls.

Edit - the cotton wool was a test only - it will be made to look better on the actual 'model' mist.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Don't remember the ending of the book, but the movie made me want to find and punch the director. What an obnoxious way to end a movie.

So sue me, I'm a sucker for a downer ending now & then  ;). I just am not a fan of the non-endings that King loves to use. King ended Cell the same way with the "we'll just have to wait and see what happens" ending. I dunno, for me it just does not work as well as the movie ending.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
Figures for the game (probably some mods needed, but it should be easy):

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68&zenid=5a7d2f4ee1b468e0f7fc2b13a35ecdb0

I just found a whole heap of black plastic flies on ebay..  :D

A link to the mist on wiki that explains the different 'lurkers': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist

Now I need tentacles...

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
I was looking for a set of tentacles for my self other week so here is the links I found
Malifaux do a set of Tentacles http://wyrd-games.net/shop/product.php?productid=16206&cat=263&page=1
and Black Cats in the UK do to  http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=tentacles

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »
I know GW did a whole bunch of tentacles as part of their LOTR range for the watcher in the water from the Moria gate thing. Couldn't see them on the site anymore but didn't look too hard so they might still be an option.

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 01:15:57 AM »
Here is the GW link, I all ways find there stuff on the dear side. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat450008a&rootCatGameStyle=lotr

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 03:19:05 AM »
Here is the GW link, I all ways find there stuff on the dear side. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat450008a&rootCatGameStyle=lotr

wow - $40 AUD for 6 tentacles... for that price they would want to be large and be able to be used as a beer bottle opener!