Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:13:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: For Your Dice Only - 7TV/KKBB  (Read 41279 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Re: For Your Dice Only - 7TV/KKBB
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
What a fantastic-looking project.

Construction is of 5mm Foam PVC walls on a 3mm MDF base covered in a tile effect embossed plastic card, forming one large room.

After your Geezers building epic, I'm a tiny bit disappointed that you're not hand-scribing the floor tiles though!  ;)  :D

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »
Oh yes, this is going to be good! Andym is on the same wavelwngth as me, will we see a monorail? A working one of course.  ;)
Don't!

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback/encouragement chaps.  :)

Will there be a shark tank and a missile silo?  ;)
Definately a shark tank (already part-built) and more a launch tower than a silo.

And a Goldfinger-esque model of Fort Knox - diorama within a diorama style, that rises from the boardroom table?
Not sure I've got space currently but wish I had thought of that.  Something to build post-Salute to include in my own games.

Very very nice. I'll be following this closely all the better to acquire your secrets Mr Overlord. Underground modular bases seem all the rage as two days ago I just cut the hardboard tiles for mine.

Just a question on the airshafts. Will you be opening up the ends to connect to other tiles or will you be abstracting it during play. Curious.
I've been following your Hadleys Hope thread with great interest as an Aliens fan and for possible ideas/tips for this project.  8)

The airshafts are generally modelled as closed at the edge of each 'module' (the shafts add stregth to the 'modules' as most are open on one side) as I intend eventually using them in various configurations at a later date, though they are deemed continuous for game purposes.  The shafts are over-sized really but I built them big enough to place a based miniature in the shaft for gameplay purposes.  After all, shouldnt every secret lair have such a system of ducts to allow the heroes adequate entrance/exit!

How big is the base going to be when finished?
Current plans are 3'x3' but will likely be extended post Salute.

Will it include a monorail and the orange boiler suited gentlemen you can see in the pic?
I've run out of space on the Salute board, but I definately want a monorail at some point.  Copplestone boiler-suited goons are sat awaiting paint although the Salute game miniatures will likely be provided by Uti Long Smile from his great collection.

In general I have constraints as to what I can build due to lack of storage space (Geezers takes up more room than any other project I have).  I have a very long way to go to get vaguely close to the original inspiration by Ken Adam http://www.jamesbondwiki.com/page/Blofeld's+Volcano+Lair

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:49:51 PM by Overlord »
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
I don't know why, but I've never really  appeciated the scale of the James Bond sets until I seen your pic minus all the extras! 

Blooming heck! :o

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
The Prisoner..... no, not some quaint, picturesque village.

Where would an Evil Overlord TM be without somewhere to secure his captives prior to explaining his devious plans for world domination in detail.  Of course it is specified in the secret lair planning regulations that there should be an adequate means of escape from an otherwise impregnable headquarters, hence the handy grills leading to the air duct system.

The cellblock shown with the (Ainsty/Old Crow http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aiblastwall.htm ) blastwalls that will form the exterior walls of the 'rooms' part of the complex.  In the foreground is a scratch-built entrance door.  At the far (currently empty) end of the block will be something where the major villain will have an expectation of the heroes demise.

The solid cell doors and slightly less secure air duct grills. (The front is only blu-tacked in place at the moment)

A view of the cells from the opposite side.

Closer detail of a miniature inside the air ducts.

Construction is again 3 and 5mm foam PVC on an MDF base.

Be seeing you.....  o_o

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
Hurray! Been waiting to see this project realised after all the conversations earlier in the year. Its looking great so far. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
I think we've all been looking forward to this one for a while now.  :)

Can't wait to see the finished layout.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
My Copplestone scenery pieces have begun to stink like kerosene. They are going to need a good sealant!

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
You beauty!!!!!!!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »
Enjoying this - looks like an awesome project.

I see myself stealing bits - the air ducts idea is cool! (pun intended  lol)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
I agree, how could we ever go without air-ducts to escape trough?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Millmir

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
 :-*This project is really great and shows alot of great craftmanship!
Dibbs on Jaws!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 12:36:44 AM »
My Copplestone scenery pieces have begun to stink like kerosene. They are going to need a good sealant!

Unfortunately cheap resin does pong and is not good for your health at all, (as in cheaper materials not poor casting results).

Agent Smith, another excellent project sir, carry on.  ;)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
  At the far (currently empty) end of the block will be something where the major villain will have an expectation of the heroes demise.

Once the hero is strapped to the device ready for his demise will the major villain trumpet on for five minutes, revealing his plans for world domination/destruction and thus revealing any flaws in his nefarious machinations which the hero will be sure to exploit after his imminent escape?

Great work on the build, you make it look so easy. Where do you source your foam PVC from?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »
Great work on the build, you make it look so easy. Where do you source your foam PVC from?

Because I could see a potential use for alot (For this and other projects) I bought 8'x4' sheets of 3mm and 5mm from Ebay. 
http://business.shop.ebay.co.uk/Printing-Graphic-Arts-/26238/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ssn=roberthornegroup&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

1mm, 2mm and other thicknesses are available in smaller sizes fron Antenociti.  It was Jeds mention of foam PVC on Frothers some time ago that put me onto it.  http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/materials-tools/sheet-materials.html