Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WORLDWORKS Streamer  (Read 3421 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:34:27 PM »
Good oportunities for conversion...

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
Sorry, but I don´t like that one at all. The proportions are all way off, and those garish colours... sorry, not my cup of tea.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:53:41 AM »
Nowhere near the quality of those made in the Tramp Steamer contest.

And the colour looks like it's been Tango'd
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:45:33 AM »
I happen to disagree with you gents mainly because I believe your tastes are more towards the pulp era, and this tug is meant for modern use.  In that context it's beautiful and will show up on many a zombie table.  End of the new Dawn of the Dead anybody?

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 04:41:08 AM »
:?:  I just wonder, why spend hours on painting up your models and then using some flat, untextured paper model. Why not using paper-miniatures (the flat ugly ones) for miniatures then as well
I always find these paper models so disappointing, they look spectacular on pictures but in reality the river is just a piece of paper that looks like a piece of paper. And the doors, windows, pipes, shelves etc are printed on the walls, the floor have no texture...I don't know I think it just looks ****
I tried to rework some paper models once, made the walls from foam card, cut in the doors, textured the floors etc etc, and everything looks nice except the paper parts that are still visible - it just doesn't fit with the rest of the models.
And the amount of work you have to spend to make it look "good" you can spend on building a model from scratch, so fully agree the steamers we saw in the contest are light years ahead of any paper model (square shaped masts - shudder  :? )
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:54:38 AM »
Quote from: "darquebus"
:?:  
I always find these paper models so disappointing, they look spectacular on pictures but in reality the river is just a piece of paper that looks like a piece of paper. And the doors, windows, pipes, shelves etc are printed on the walls, the floor have no texture...

Generally I agree with this, but I think that the Reviresco steamer Minos is an exception.  The fitings are metal.  The masts are round wood dowels.  And I've seen it built and it looks as good as some people's scratch builds (not including Richard Houston's, of course). :roll:
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:17:42 AM »
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"
:?:  
I always find these paper models so disappointing, they look spectacular on pictures but in reality the river is just a piece of paper that looks like a piece of paper. And the doors, windows, pipes, shelves etc are printed on the walls, the floor have no texture...

Generally I agree with this, but I think that the Reviresco steamer Minos is an exception.  The fitings are metal.  The masts are round wood dowels.  And I've seen it built and it looks as good as some people's scratch builds (not including Richard Houston's, of course). :roll:

Yup, but the Reviresco kits are a totally different approach and style - they stem more from "classic" paper modelling, in that some more involved cutting and glueing is involved to produce more complex shapes. For that "tug" above, they just broke down the curved hull into angled slabs, and it shows - similar to trying to represent a circle by a hexagon.

But that´s always the problem - where do YOU draw the line between the "gaming" and "model" aspects of your piece? This one certainly is more for gaming, but even if gaming is the key priority, you CAN produce a nicer effort, if maybe not for mass production.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
:?:  I just wonder, why spend hours on painting up your models and then using some flat, untextured paper model. Why not using paper-miniatures (the flat ugly ones) for miniatures then as well?...snip...

Well, I can't speak for others, but the reasons I use card scenery are:

A] I can't model 3D scenery for toffee - I constantly injure myself & the end results are crap.

B] I can't afford bespoke or resin etc models.

C] I haven't time to laboriously build my own or  paint pre-built models. Barely time to paint any minis :(
If i was to try & make my own, I'd have to put so much detail in, that it would be slower than the Wembley stadium build. Card modelling is very quick!

D] Weight - card is obviously much lighter & easier to store.

etc etc....

I agree that resin/wood etc are the ideal models to use, but we are not all as fortunate as those who can use them regularly.

Cheers,
Ian

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 10:13:02 AM »
I find that paper kits can often make very good templates for modelling purposes - many of my buildings were modelled using paper kits as templates.
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:17:26 AM »
For an example of how good they can look, see Audrey's zombie game:

http://www.13threalm.com/blog/

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »
Again, I will come and say that a well-done Worldworks table, like Audrey's recently posted game and my own work, are just as good as any other modern city table I have seen (excepting certain group convention projects and certain people of the Germanic persuasion).

Joey

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »
You can also use paper models as the skin of a foamcore building. Even something as simple as pasting the paper model to foamcore and recessing the windows and doors is kind of a compromise between a paper model and a scratchbuilt one. I think paper models are another tool that the wily gamer can put into his bag of tricks.

I don't like this tug or steamer or whatever, modern stylings or no.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
WORLDWORKS Streamer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 05:35:58 PM »
I agree that the paper terrain is a compromise. I considered scratch building the buildings for my games but I knew the time involved would be even greater. Plus part of what I like about the paper terrain from WWG and what I am working towards, is having detailed interiors for all the buidlings with furniture and such. It makes a big difference in the skirmish games. But if I scratch build the buildings then I also have to make the furniture. There are some manufacturers that produce a few pieces of office furniture but it is few and far between. Right now I don't have the time for all of that. Thus the decision was to go with the modified paper stuff. But hey, to each their own and that is the choice they have to make for their own games.
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com