Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-apocalyptic wasteland: Now what?  (Read 14680 times)

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
Re: Post-apocalyptic wasteland: Now what?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure none of the nuke-armed nations even know this country exists, so it should be safe.  :D

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »
I live in Vegas so I am safe for ever thing but fall out and the hordes trying to flee from LA once the bombs hit  ;D.
But really in any disaster, I already got the guns covered(and so dose ever one else on the block)
So getting water, and food would be the main problem, I mean its literally a desert out there.

Maby head to Utah, and then to my buddies ranch up in the dakotas
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 08:19:20 AM »
Dakotas are some of the last places to head, as we still have a slew of missile silos operating out of there. Me, being Portland, Oregon, I would be toast from fallout from north of me being pushed down by normal weather patterns. If I didn't die from radiation, though, I'd survive. Wasn't raised by midwestern farmers for nothing - got the guns, know how to plant and harvest crops, could live off berries and wild game if there was any.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 09:28:58 AM »
Australia is already there. We have the worst cricket captain on earth, a team with no direction and we're being belted by a triumphant English team in the Ashes.

Believe me, it doesn't get worse. Cormac McCarthy knows nothing about existential despair.

And congratulations to England - a better team playing well is a wonderful thing to watch - through the weeping and gnashing and hurling of dogs at the TV.

In context for our American cousins, imagine Canada crushing you senseless at any given national sport you both play.

Or for European football fans, the realisation that Brasil has rediscovered its mojo and just wants to jump up and down on your head for a decade or so.

Meh. It's a game with a bat and ball. I'm still going to the Sydney Test. Masochism is its own reward.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
Dakotas are some of the last places to head, as we still have a slew of missile silos operating out of there. Me, being Portland, Oregon, I would be toast from fallout from north of me being pushed down by normal weather patterns. If I didn't die from radiation, though, I'd survive. Wasn't raised by midwestern farmers for nothing - got the guns, know how to plant and harvest crops, could live off berries and wild game if there was any.
Palms head duh, I had forgot about the old missile bases out there, of my of my old Gfs from High school is currently working as one of the button pushers  lol.
Ok then I will just pack up my guns, food and water and move into the huge drainage tunnels undernet the city (you can drive Semis in these things) and wait out the blast and fallout, then emerge and head to were ever there is still furtal land with clean water and pray that some were my skills as an ex-paratrooper and amateur historian can come in handy    lol

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
Well older cars would still work, the ones without the elcetronic imobilsers (thinking EMP), drive to the police station and raid the armed responce department, or the local TA supply center, then off to secure food from the numerous supermarkets and conveince stores etc.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 12:15:37 AM »
Well its happened, a nuclear war, your countries a wasteland. What would you do?

Finally have time to get around to finishing my projects, esp, the zombie hoardes... then start looting games shops.  lol

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 05:51:28 AM »
When my wife and I saw this at the library we HAD to get it to see if it was for real or not.
While it is a little tongue and cheek, (the "author" is a UFC fighter) it is meant to be a serious guide to the apocalypse.

Yeaup, I found this in the local Chapters last month. It's an awesome read.

This is the Great White North, nuking it is just a waste of resources. Besides, it's mostly rural over here anyway and a lot of us are self-sustaining anyhoo.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
In context for our American cousins, imagine Canada crushing you senseless at any given national sport you both play.

It happens all the time. Ask the Yanks when they last won an Olympic ice hockey gold medal, and who beat them.  :D

Regarding the cheerful post-apoc thing, we're upwind of most of North America here, but if things go utterly pear-shaped Canada's only Pacific Coast naval base is in town, so that might warrent a little surprise of it's own. In which case, good to know you.

After that, we're on an island. 90+% of our food comes from off the island. We have issues. (more realistically, this is also an issue when (not if) the Really Big Earthquake jumps up and down on this part of the world. Geologists have been promising the Really Big Earthquake "real soon now", but geologists have a rather non-standard definition of "real soon now")

If the big faults let go, we might find outselves treading water - until the tsunami wave comes back in....

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Hey Wirelizard since you brought up things that are going to destroy the west coast don't forget Mt. Hood for some localized WA and BC action, and when the yellowstone caldera blows were all screwed  lol

Online Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 11:59:07 AM »
Guess it depends on who's firing the nukes, for Birmingham U.K, I know there is a nuke out there in Russia made specially for us, I doubt the same goes for China though or any other 'hostile' nuke loving countries.

If Birmingham were hit well, I'd be dead, and if we weren't but London was, be straight to the Welsh valleys with me!

But I'd probably die a slow and agonising death when the tea runs out.

Only weapons I have are loads of sharp objects, a bow and a .177 Air rifle. And my dog wouldn't hurt a fly, in fact he is scared of flies, so he won't be much use when we find out Super mutants aren't as fictional as we believed!

Trick is to find a spot where the wind that passes through the Nuked zone doesn't happen to come lumbering over to where your hiding, radiation travels a long way.
Then there is the Nuclear winter.
Chances of survival in a radiated zone are close to nil as well.
In fact to be horribly truthful, as far as my attention allowed me to concentrate on the nuclear warfare lecture back at Uni (I do War studies) those of us who survived would more than likely be dead within a decade!
And those who survived would have to put up with some of the most nightmarish environment for hundreds of years!

Better start building that vault Ladies and Gents!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »

Like Ice Hockey?   lol
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 06:13:45 AM »
Start a post apocalyptic gang!  We'll be a bunch of 40 year olds who ride in on BMX bikes with crossbows.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 08:06:01 AM »
Assuming We'd live long enough, rebuild the windmills and start pumping out the water that no doubt covers the land now that the mayor infrastructure is gone. Good thing our town has a disproportionate number of people trained in blacksmithing and other crafts, we'd probably manage OK on our own for a while.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
Scream while my skin melt away. Or if I'm lucky, try to repopulate gather survivors and repopulate establish a base to repopulate create a new society. And if everything is going well then repopulate.  ;D
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien