Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686610
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 737
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vintage Citadel Undead Army [PICS] [PIC HVY]  (Read 19709 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Vintage Citadel Undead Army [PICS] [PIC HVY]
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
You didn't think I was done did you?

I posted some pictures of my undead army before:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=23652.0

But I painted lots more and decided to do new pictures of the whole bunch.

The entire army in full moon light.

An overview of the army in normal light.

Finrum, the Liche Lord responsible for raiding the entire army, and his son, together in eternity.

Another Liche, this time an old Metal Magic model, now available from Megamini's. It was a simple model but none-the-less very charming in my opinion.

A 1992 wight by Gary Morley. I gave him a classic chaos shield for a bit more old school feeling.

I'm not a big fan of these wights because of their bulk. I painted them because I had several lying around anyway, and they are very easily identifyable as my characters. So in game they are quite convenient.

Krell, Lord of teh undead. I giot him without his back banner which suits me just fine. He's the only model in my army so far with painted armour (red over the rust) because in life he was a chaos champion of Khorne. Of course he wields the obsidian Black Axe of Krell. It's one of the better wight models in my opinion.

Another wight with a bit less verdigris. Strangely after painting several nostalgia took over and I found them quite charming again.

Morbius the Liche, I never cared a lot for this model either but it was a nice excersise in painting decaying flesh. He can also double up as a vampire which is a nice plus. Other than that I still prefer my skeletal liches.

A 1992 Gary Morley Wraith. I thought if I painted this bugger I might care about it. I guess not. Since Tomb Kings can't field wraiths I don't know how much action he'll see, but at least he's painted.

A skeleton unit of 30, mostly plastics with some metal highlights.

Another unit of plastic filler skeletons with some metal additions.

BELLA DETESTA MATRIBVS
Wars, the horror of mothers

A little vignette as a unit filler. I wanted these two old 25mm skeletons to act as children and for that they needed a parent. I added the wooden horse (cut from Foamalux foamed PVC) to emphasise their youth upon dying.

A pre-slotta Skeleton Lord, nice model.

A Mystery horn-blower. I'm thinking this is a Grenadier model but I'm not sure. The sculpting was pretty poor though (the middle was far too wide) but I was desperate for more musicians so he's very welcome.

MORS VLTIMA RATIO
Death is the final accounting
A plastic skeleton with a banner. In the end I regret painting his chestplate in verdigris rather than rust, it still looks awkward.

Another pre-slotta skeleton, his base way too big so I fit him on two bases. He looked a bit like an old undead Orc to me but I'm not sure.

A detail of the shield. The shield design looked a bit oriental to me so I went with it unsing the colours of the elements: blue (sky), white (water), yellow (earth) and red (fire).

A pre-slotta crossbowmen, usually gets stuck in with my archers.

Nine skeletons with light armour and arquebuses, ie, more archers for the pile.

11 boring placcy archers, you can see my lazy painting on these 8)

Light horsemen, useful but boring models.

Another view. Since they're all riding the same horse I've started devising lors of ways to make them look different, the easiest method is a head/neck repositioning.

There he is again! Ennio Mordini and his Nightmare legion, but this time there's 40 of them! Actually there are 41, but number 41 got stuck in with the plastic skeletons. I have more of these models waiting but I think I will paint those with red skirts, not sure yet though.

Another picture of the command group.

Two screaming Skull Catapults. These things are some of the better parts of the Tomb Kings army at the moment but alas our league allows no duplicate rare choices so one ghets left at home.

I still really like these catapults though. Also, the new rules for warmachines are a bit simplified which made basing machine and crew together much simpler in game terms. I think this really adds to the vintage look 8)

A pic of the 60x60mm base from the bottom for anyone interested.

Heavy horsemen! I painted 21 of these guys and I think the unit looks awesome. They still have no proper musician though ;)

Too bad they can't do shit in a Tomb Kings army, but when I field these as Black Knights in a Vampire Counts army people will tremble!

The champion is one of the better Gary Morley models (all metal skeleton horsemen are quite nice). He was leaning way too far backward in my opinion though so I modelled the horse as if it was kicking. I also added some fur to fill the gap between the rider and the horse. The other model is in the picture because he's riding a metal 1983 Ral Partha horse.

Undead Ogres! Probably some od the most recent models in my army (dated 2000 if I'm not mistaken), these serve as my Ushabti. The models are by Ral Partha and sculpted by Werner Klocke I think. Unfortunately there are only two variants and they're very hard to cut up.

Real undead archers. Among the plastics and the proxies I have gathered a couple of real metal undead bowmen (thanks Phreedh!). They had lots of parts with detail loss and there are only two variants but they still look better than every other archer.

I painted them in a mix of livery and other colours as I didn't want them to look too uniform (the only uniform regiment should be the Nightmare Legion). There's also a Grenadier archer in here, again I'm nt very fond of this model.

Tom Meier's Zombie Dragon, again, just a new picture, but isn't he pretty? 8)

I managed to get another of these which will get a rider in the future.

A Tomb Scorpion. This is the classic Citadel Scorpion, I have received an extra pair of legs for this model (thank you Rob_bresnen!) which will be added in due time. I'm not really pleased with the colour scheme either. I have another one of these (thank you Svennn), I think I will paint that one with more attention and then repaint this one and add the legs. It's painted because it's a useful model in a Tomb Kings army (and having two doesn't hurt either).

A plastic Chariot with Longhorn as crew.

A plastic chariot with Reaper as crew.

A metal chariot with Screamer as crew. I still mean to add more chariots but I guess painting and assembling them daunts me a bit, so I keep painting other stuff.

The Colossus Of Argil
The Colossus Of Argil, when alive, terrorised several settlements in the Border Princes. One day the terrorised inhabitants united to overthrow his reign, they took up their weapons and marched to the giants lair. There they killed him and resumed their lives in peace.

Finrum, seeing an opportunity, journeyed to the lair of the Colossus of Argil, performed an extensive necromantic ritual and summoned the giant to serve in his army.

I guess my friends didn't really approve of my using a zombie dragon for a bone giant in my army as I giot this for my birthday. It's Grenadiers/Mirlitons Skeletal Titan from 1986, and it's a proper beast! It took some time to assemble and paint and I haven't found a way to transport it yet but it's a real bauty.

I wanted the Colossus to look wealthy and not rag-tag like Giants often do. This model has equipment made in his own size so I painted his necklace gold to reflect his wealth.

A close-up of his back (sword and dagger), the sword is hanging straight down (don't let the picture fool you) and the giant is mounted on a chariot base (50x100 mm).

The shield cried for a design of some sort so I setteled on a quartered white/blue scheme.

A close-up of the axe, I like the holes in it.

A close-up of the shin guard, the Badab Black wash made it dry a bit blotchy but since this part is usually in the shade it's not much of a problem.

There, I hope you enjoyed looking at these pictures as much as I did making them!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Vintage Citadel Undead Army [PICS] [PIC HVY]
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* 8) :-* ;D 8) 8) 8) o_o :-* 8) :-* 8) 8) :D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
Absolutely wonderful! Oh the nostalgia when looking at some of these old models. Very well done! I love the overall unity of appearance and your eye for little details that lez individuals stand out from the mass of the army. Thanks for posting those pics, love 'em all.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
Very cool, lots of very nicely painted models.  And the nostalgia of the older figs appeals to me. 

You are correct on the mystery horn blower, it is an old Grenadier mode, a Lich from an AD&D boxed set.  You've done a great job making that figure look good despite it's lack of detail compared to modern figs.

Beautiful stuff!
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
OLD SCHOOL GOODNESS  :-*  :-*  :-*

I paticulary like the banners and the bone giant  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »
It's great how you managed to make them look dark and dirty, but with subtle finishing touches. The shields and scroll are amazing.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words (and smilies)! For both the banners and the shields I was faced with a little problem: should they reflect their once living counterparts or be distinctly undead? I chose against the former option as it takes away from the undead feel of old where the skeletons were sometimes portrayed as sentient beings. So in the end I opted for simple shield and banner iconography (skulls and skeletons mostly) I think it works while at the same time not being too neat (which transfers would have been) or colourful (which multi-coloured banners and shields would have been).   

You are correct on the mystery horn blower, it is an old Grenadier mode, a Lich from an AD&D boxed set.  You've done a great job making that figure look good despite it's lack of detail compared to modern figs.

Thanks, with your info I found a crappy old picture on the Stuff Of Legends:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/advanced_dnd.html
5002    Dungeon Monsters

None of the figures in that set seem particularly exciting  ::)

Offline Millmir

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* I really like....everything!
The banners looks awesome!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
That is one great army of undead goodness (not good as in good, because they're evil, but good as in loads of fantastic models)!  :-*

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
WOW!  Seeing that army in the 'flesh' must be an awe-inspiring sight indeed!  Excellent job and no mistake.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »
 :-* Really lovely work there. Brought some brilliant old school models back to life.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »
What a beauty! Don't care much for the Morley stuff but painted up they look nice. =) Brilliant giant!

Glad you get to play with them, too!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Deep One

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »
Great army!!!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
AWESOME!!

Have you checked out some of the old alternative armies undead models? There are a few rather nice ones...  :)

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
Re Dungeon Monsters

None of the figures in that set seem particularly exciting  ::)

Back in the day they were exciting.  I remember getting that set new as a young gamer and thinking they were the coolest thing ever.  Thankfully both sculpting and painting have come a long way since then.   But even the older stuff can look good when well painted as you have shown. 

Now, off to see if I can find some of those skeletal ogres....