Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690318
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First try at a Hedgerow  (Read 1677 times)

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
First try at a Hedgerow
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:30:30 AM »
I've been building up my terrain for 28mm WW2 and just finished my first hedgerow piece.  I wanted to make sure I was happy with the finished product before going into mass production on the rest of them (hopeing for around 24 feet total).  It is supposed to have a crater in it but it didn't come out as well as I hoped, needs a bit more groundwork sculpting.  The figs are 28mm US Paras from Artizan.

And now with a tree, it fits into a hole drilled into the base hidden my the hedge  This was just a quick test tree, future ones should look much better now that I've figured out my process. 

Thanks for looking!

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
Re: First try at a Hedgerow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »
looking good
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Millmir

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
Nice!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
Good solid effort, but what's your process?

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!

The hedge is made of two layers of 1/8" hardboard (the kind with the textured back), with the top layer being smaller than the first to define the raised portion.  Then spackle then textured with sand and rocks.  The main thing I wanted to work out was the foliage.  It's polyfiber (the kind for pillow batting) glued and the spray painted.  Then I brushed on a 50/50 white glue and water mix and applied course turf from woodland scenics.  The spray paint makes the polyfiber harden to be real durable and the courser flock I think gives a more natural look.  I wanted to try painting on the glue instead of spraying it so the interior would not have flock stuck to it.

The tree was the first test I made using a 1/8 inch dowel in polyfiber batting glued, spray painted and flocked on the end. I already thickend the trunk once with fine ballast but think it needs more. I thought about using a thicker dowel but want to keep the hole on the base as small as possible. I also thought about winding a wire around it but am trying to get it to where I can make a large number of trees without a lot of work(this one prolly took 5 minutes). Might just use a courser balast on a first thickening pass then the finer on the second to bulk it out more.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing... like yourself I'm looking at creating quite a bit of hedgerow this year, so looking for all the inspiration I can find...  :)

Offline z1pp132002

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Looking good I would just go a bit higher.

Cheers