Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690746
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Altdorf Crusaders , Blood Bowl a start  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Altdorf Crusaders , Blood Bowl a start
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
Since my buddy Millmir got me into Blood Bowl I traded some models for some BB humans with him and this is my "test model". More pics on my blog http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/01/little-january-update-bloodbowl-and.html

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: Altdorf Crusaders , Blood Bowl a start
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
Nice to see the old 2nd edition models. You do know it's a bit of a thrower and not actually a blitzer though? =)

I used to have a fairly complete 2nd edition collection... which I sold off in chunks a few years ago. Regret it now. =( Still have a few choice ones, like the Phil Lewis' Chaos All-stars replicas Tom Anders produced.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »
Hah! I just started BloodBowl (... again!) this month too :) Love the figure! What a great game.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:12:29 AM »
@Preedh, no idea, I could only identify a few miniatures as Lineman and the obvious thrower (holding the ball). It's a mix of metak models and 3 plastic (identical) ones. I will paint each class differently and pretty much settle for that as the look of most models don't tell me anything about their "real" roles  :)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
nicely painted Al,Btw Altdorf is a City in Switzerland so this Topic made me  lol :D anyway!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
@Preedh, no idea, I could only identify a few miniatures as Lineman and the obvious thrower (holding the ball). It's a mix of metak models and 3 plastic (identical) ones. I will paint each class differently and pretty much settle for that as the look of most models don't tell me anything about their "real" roles  :)
As long as you don't play with grumpy old gits like me, it's ok. =) I'm a huge BB fan, so if you ever want to get a game in drop me a line. I can't be bothered to play in a league though, did that in Malmö (MAFOC) and while fun it was too much of a chore. Prefer short tourneys. How about  a Brainwurst cup? Or we could start up a small local loose league... KÄBBL anyone? =)

BTW, please introduce the colour coded base rings with your group. In 2nd edition BB you got coloured bases (or base rings) with the 16 identical plastics. Red for blitzer, green for blocker, yellow for catcher, white for thrower and grey for linemen.

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Nice job on that - painting stripes like that is a pain but he looks great.

The only thing I would suggest is numbering the bases - it makes it far easier to keep track of skill and stat increases if you ever have a go at league play.

Here's my own blue and white BB human team - mine are Middenheimers though :)

http://www.bunkerassault.co.uk/images/stories/Armies/bb_middenheimers/mustangs.jpg

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
@ Preedh, I'm open for a game of BloodBowl as soon as I get a team painted up  :)

@ Darren those look great, I hope the number on the back will be enough but painting a number on the base might  not be such a bad idea.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
I paint numbers on the back of my bases too, only on the back though as that's the side I usually see.

I never got into coloured bases, I appreciate the convenience during the game but I think I'm too much of a miniature gamer to bear a red base edge. That said, my previous team was Lizardmen (the Xlanhuapec Carnivores) and they only have skinks, sauruses and a kroxigor so the difference between the models is more obvious.

Darren, that's a great looking team based on the plastics!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
Sometimes the different positionals look so similar to each other that it's necessary to paint coloured bases to easily differentiate who's who - it helps your opponent easily pick out who to blitz and who to avoid.   The GW Amazons are a classic example of this - one of the blitzer poses being almost idential to a linewoman (with only a shoulderpad on the left arm being the difference.)

I've got examples on my blog site if you want a look - I don't want to hijack Anatoli's thread by putting my any more of my stuff on here :)

http://howlinggriffon.blogspot.com/

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
The colored bases is probably a good way to quickly find out who's who, but I'll stick with writing the role of each player on the front of the base. I will also paint each class slightly different. The blitzers in striped clothes, catchers in checkers pattern etc  :)

Not much more since last time but I took a few pics of the old models I have - the plan is to paint them in groups of 4 so they are finished within 3 days once I'm done with my school work which is going smoothly at the moment and maybe will be finished earlier than I thought.

The variation is quite good, 8 unique poses and only 4 doubles. Check the blog to see all the poses, I was stupid enough to forget to take pictures BEFORE I primed them, tried to fix the contrast and exposure to make the details as clear as possible afterwards....

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/01/old-blood-bowl-miniatures.html

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
Dude, you'll need to get rid of that 3rd edition thrower! =D

The rest are nice 2nd edition goodness except for the ful-snygg guy who is 1st edition.

What you have, from top left to bottom right, is:
2nd edt lineman, 2nd edt catcher and 2nd edt kicker (would work as a catcher)
3rd edt plastic thrower (drop him!), 2nd edt blocker (could work as a blitzer, or as a star such as Zug)
2nd edt lineman, 1st edt human (lino? great mini though)
2nd edt plastic, 2nd edt lineman

I painted some of these guys a few years ago:

There are a few more old pics of some BB minis I've painted here:
http://www.godzilla.se/bb.asp

BTW, a tip regarding starting lineup. Go for 11 players only, of which 4 are blitzers. Fill out the team either with a thrower and 6 linemen or just 7 linemen. I wouldn't bother with catchers to start with. They'll level up quickly later on too, while the blitzers can really use some time as scoring players.

In addition, take an apothecary from the get go. Humans are fragile. =) Get as many rerolls and as high FF as possible, but focus on rerolls. If you go with 4 blitzers, 6 lineman and a thrower you should have money for 1 apo, 7 FF and 3 RR.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:10:34 PM by phreedh »

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips, yeah the apothecary  will be included as well, I also noticed how fast the catchers level up in the PC game, started with one catcher who reached lvl 5 quite fast and now has MA9  :D

The onlyplastic miniatures are the big blue ones, the catcher was metal as is every model primed with black  :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
The onlyplastic miniatures are the big blue ones, the catcher was metal as is every model primed with black  :)
Oh, he's very similar to the plastic human thrower in the 3rd edition boxed set. I would still get rid of it, or use him as a secondary thrower and use the one you've painted up as your primary thrower. ;P I'll have a look at my bb minis to see if I have an old thrower to spare. I don't think so as I sold any and all spares a few years ago.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »