Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:24:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. TV Series  (Read 7222 times)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. TV Series
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
Thought this most appropriate place to post this.
A pilot episode, I hope this gets picked up, really want to see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9iN3TPCmxk&feature=player_embedded

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. TV Series
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »
Looks good! I got the 1979 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie on DVD when visiting my parents over christmas - haven't watched it yet, but it will be interesting to compare the two different treatments, I guess.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
Looks good! I got the 1979 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie on DVD when visiting my parents over christmas - haven't watched it yet, but it will be interesting to compare the two different treatments, I guess.

the treatments are more than different, I'd say there's nothing to compare at all. Tarkovsky's movie "Stalker" is a very philosophical one without effects and not always easy to understand (just like all his movies). This series seems to be a typical product of post-modern pop culture, though definitely a better source for inspiration, I assume.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:30:59 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
Looks to be interesting. I rather enjoy the first game, so look forward to this rendition.

the treatments are more than different, I'd say there's nothing to compare at all. Tarkovsky's movie "Stalker" is a very philosophical one without effects and not always easy to understand (just like all his movies). This series seems to be a typical product of post-modern pop culture, though definitely a better source for inspiration, I assume.

This sums it up pretty well. There is also a book, Piknik na obochine, which the film and games are loosely based upon.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
There is also a book, Piknik na obochine, which the film and games are loosely based upon.

Yes, "Roadside Picnic". One of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. Highly recommended.

Offline tjohnfranklin

• Schoolboy
    • Unsuitable for Adults
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
"Roadside Picnic" is outstanding; it's by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. They wrote several books in a series called "World of Noon" which there was a little brew-ha-ha about last year: Avatar is supposed to have a suspicious amount in common with them.

Another really good novel for anyone who's a fan of STALKER is "Nova Swing" by M John Harrison. It's heavily inspired by "Roadside Picnic", but mixes it in with transhumanism, retro-futurism, and noir detective novels.
http://unsuitableforadults.wordpress.com - pick up your toys and play

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
I didnt even realise the Film  and game were even related. Hmm, wierd. I love Tarkovsky's films, awesome. The game is a first person shooter though, so how can it be anything like the film?!

Offline tjohnfranklin

• Schoolboy
    • Unsuitable for Adults
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Well, it's more that the film inspired the game. They're not very similar. The film is an adaptation of the Strugatsky book, in that the Zone is quite alien in origin and not connected to Chernobyl (although obviously inspired by the real zone that surrounds Chernobyl). The game is set in a sci-fi version of the real Chernobyl zone. It's definitely inspired by the film - but the film isn't the only influence.

The main thing is that the book, the film, and the game, are all made by people from former-USSR countries - the linking factor is the Chernobyl disaster which had a massive cultural impact. The International Atomic Energy Agency has lots of reports about that disaster which make really good background for hard-sci-fi stories/RPGs/games: http://www.iaea.org/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 01:33:04 AM »
Well, it's more that the film inspired the game. They're not very similar. The film is an adaptation of the Strugatsky book, in that the Zone is quite alien in origin and not connected to Chernobyl (although obviously inspired by the real zone that surrounds Chernobyl). The game is set in a sci-fi version of the real Chernobyl zone. It's definitely inspired by the film - but the film isn't the only influence.

The main thing is that the book, the film, and the game, are all made by people from former-USSR countries - the linking factor is the Chernobyl disaster which had a massive cultural impact. The International Atomic Energy Agency has lots of reports about that disaster which make really good background for hard-sci-fi stories/RPGs/games: http://www.iaea.org/

It should be noted, though, that the movie predates the Chernobyl incident by more than 5 years. From what I gather, though, Tarkovsky's agenda was to highlight environmental pollution issues in a politically acceptable way (and I don't know if he knew about earlier incidents such as Mayak, which AFAIK was kept secret for decades), in the tradition of the critical artist.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 01:56:48 AM »
Hmm love STALKER and Call of Pripyat (Clear Sky was horribly flawed), seen the Tarkovsky movie and love the whole concept of the zone. But the trailer make the show look very low budget and amateurish  :?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 02:32:22 AM »
I agree Anatoli, but I was hoping they would carry the low budget feel and work within those parameters. You know, generate a gritty coolness quotient without pretending to be a hi-polish, big budget special effects series. Here's hoping...

And here's hoping I'll be able to see it somehow - with English subs - when it's released.   

Offline tjohnfranklin

• Schoolboy
    • Unsuitable for Adults
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
It should be noted, though, that the movie predates the Chernobyl incident by more than 5 years. From what I gather, though, Tarkovsky's agenda was to highlight environmental pollution issues in a politically acceptable way (and I don't know if he knew about earlier incidents such as Mayak, which AFAIK was kept secret for decades), in the tradition of the critical artist.

Wow, I was way off! Which means the book is even older... (1971 according to Wikipedia). Well, that changes my understanding of them both. As well as Mayak, there were things like Semipalatinsk in Kazakhstan - essentially an inhabited area of the Steppes whose occupants were displaced (not very far, it should be said, as they could all watch the nukes that were being tested their going off from their new locations). The Russians had so many sneaky nuclear things going on...

Hmm love STALKER and Call of Pripyat (Clear Sky was horribly flawed), seen the Tarkovsky movie and love the whole concept of the zone. But the trailer make the show look very low budget and amateurish

Tarkovsky's movie was very low budget. The outdoor scenes of the movie were filmed once on a film stock that the production team were unfamiliar with, and it degraded, so they lost a huge shoot. Then they had to reshoot with almost zero budget. That's the version of the film we have today. I've heard stories about Tarkovsky himself stealing things in the middle of the night to use as props or set for a shoot they were doing the next morning...

Dentatus, I've got my fingers crossed for a gritty low budget version. I remember when "Constantine" (the Hellblazer adaptation) came out the main thing I thought of it was, "that movie needed less money".

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »
Yes, "Roadside Picnic". One of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. Highly recommended.

Is there an English translation of this book available?  I have been hoping for English translations for the three books in the Metro 2033 series too!

Darkoath

Offline tjohnfranklin

• Schoolboy
    • Unsuitable for Adults
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
"that movie needed less money."   Truer words were never spoken.

Here's hoping...