Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mini ID, a challenge (solved in <5mins by Grimmnar)  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Mini ID, a challenge (solved in <5mins by Grimmnar)
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
Hello everyone, I thought I'd post this mini to show that I am not just a one trick pony; I paint modern minis as well. I painted this guy up last week so I can practise painting skin tones, I wanted him to be a dungeoneer so I made a dungeon base for him as well.

Let me know what you guys think.

So here is the challenge (if you want to take it), who manufactured him? As a clue to you all, I have to say that it is a bit of a trick question.

Good luck (though you guys won't need it)

cheers
 Damien
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:17:08 PM by Damien »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mini ID, a challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
Mage Knight Dwarven Axeman. :-)
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p112196.html

Grimm

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
DAMN!!!! That took a whole 5 mins! Well I'm never doing this again, I'm a little embarrassed now.   :?

Good one Grimmnar, you are the man. :)

Damien

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Mini ID, a challenge (solved in <5mins by Grimmnar)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:18:55 PM »
Well a least let me know what you guys think about the paint job

Damien

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »
Your paint scheme brings out his muscle structure rather well, gives him the looks of one of those overly detailed body builders (I am talking real life here) always freaks me out, but that does say something about your skill at painting flesh.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:34:16 AM »
Yeah well i was slacking. 5 mins was way too long. Should have just been seconds. LOL I was browsing other links when ya posted.
But i like this fig a lot. I have a couple actually that is why i knew the fig right off the back. One for the standard pose and a couple for a conversion or three. :-)

Leaving the shortcomings of the figure aside you have done a real nice job in repainting this model. As mentioned above you brought out the muscle tone like a champ. You picked out all the hills and valleys and cant see where ya missed any of them. I like him a lot. Cant wait till i sit down and paint mine.

Grimm
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:43:21 AM by Grimmnar »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Very neat paintjob! I'm not very fond of the model itself though. The complexion seems a bit yellow, is it the lighting or just the paints you used? If it's the latter I can heartily recommend Citadel's Foundation colour "Tallarn Flesh", it's a dark skintone that seems more natural to me than the old Bronzed Flesh which I used to use.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »
Very neat paintjob! I'm not very fond of the model itself though. The complexion seems a bit yellow, is it the lighting or just the paints you used? If it's the latter I can heartily recommend Citadel's Foundation colour "Tallarn Flesh", it's a dark skintone that seems more natural to me than the old Bronzed Flesh which I used to use.

He's obviously a Latin-American Dwarf, not a Northern European one!

Yellow in tone, not pink!  ;D

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:37 AM »
Hi YPU, thanks for the compliment, I love painting lots of detail and these muscles were just poping.

Grimmnar, paint yours up quick I want to see him, its always fun to see the variations others come up with for the same mini.

Hey Pil, I thought he was an OK model for a plastic 'clicky', it was more of a excercise in painting lots of flesh. About the yellow tint I think its mostly the light but I am using the old (really old) GW bronze flesh so there is a little yellow.  Thanks for the tip on Tallarn Flesh, I am looking for a new flesh colour, I'll give that one a try.

rob_alderman, didn`t you know? He's actually a dwarf from Nippon  :D. I really have to do something about my lighting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and if you ever decide to try a mini Id challenge don`t let Grimmnar in (that guy is crazy fast!).

Cheers
Damien