Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 4-29-18. Did you think I was done?  (Read 96619 times)

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
  • Student of Time, Space & Cake
    • Crucible Crush
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - The return to Fallout (Updated 12-05-13!)
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
Cool pics, looks good painted up!

" width="450" height="75" border="0

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2013, 01:44:23 AM »
Feck!? Six huts for £16? That's a steal, thanks for posting them.

^^ I use beads all the time on my own terrain, and yet somehow the idea of making cacti out of them never hit me. I think of pumpkins first before those. That's some nice scatter to go along with the rest of your stuff. Eugh, people get ever so messy with their stuff after the apocalypse. Clean up you louts!

Are those 28mm bases on those Geckos? They aren't perfect stand ins, yes, but fluff wise you could just name them something like "Stunted Gecks", not actually related to Geckos as a species, but called so by ignorant wastelanders (like Mirelurks and Kings).

Yep.  They stand just a touch taller than a standard 28mm, which makes them almost perfect scale.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:13 AM »
And so I decided to finally start on my next pair of terrain boards - a parking lot and then a HoloCostco.  I have connections in the sign industry, and was able to get a sheet of 2" thick Gatorfoam that was not sellable, so they let me have it.  Think of foamcore, but with a melanine face instead of paper, and a denser foam.

The advantage to this is that it is durable, but can be cut and shaped fairly easily.  I started with this...

I went with my standard 24" x 48" board size, and textured portions of it with Fleckstone spray, along with my patented "Put a Damn CD on it" terrain basing system.  I wanted to have cracked asphalt, and so we took a chisel and a small mallet to it.

And then we proceeded to paint a mix of white glue, black paint, and sand onto the surface of the 'asphalt'. The 'orange' is a RAw Sienna base color I use for everything Fallout.

And now, after much painting and drybrushing, is this.  There will be plenty of room for wrecked cars to hide behind, and all sorts of stuff.  I have to build a fence to put on it, but otherwise, I think I am done. Next, the building.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - The return to Fallout (Updated 12-21-13!)
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »
So, as I work on smaller things, I added some bits and bobs to my stuff before I get a few days off for the holidays and dig into the Holocostco build.

I was given an old plastic Bonsai tree that was broken in a couple places, and with a bit hot glue and pinning wire, we got these out of it.

If you notice a color shift in the ground, it would be because I have started lightening up my Mars terrain from chocolate brown to have more raw sienna in it, and started darkening my Fallout colors from pure raw sienna to have more reds in it, so that I can mix the two more easily visually in preparation for a campaign I may be running for my main gaming group, using FUBAR 5th ed 2 page rules to create armies and battle it out.  We were going to do VSF, but some of the guys can't afford to start a new army right now, and they have 40k armies they can convert easily.

And what better place to fight a war than on post-apocalyptic boards?

We also picked up some models from WarGamma Miniatures, and I was very pleased.  For $20 shipped, I got these two pieces.

The Burrowing Beast - this guy I think I can use for sooo many things.  Post-apoc, Pulp, Fantasy - all of them!

And the crashed satellite.  This piece actually has some triangular fins on it originally, but I did not like them and trimmed them off.  Only flaw in the piece to me. Can also work as an unexploded A-bomb.

And a couple more random terrain pieces with cacti, because it worked.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »
Those look fantastic i apsolutely love it!!!! Ive gotta get my hands on some terrain for my fallout themed game, i love your CD basing, i may have to steal that, how do you get such a perfert circle without clue/sand creeping into them.

Also, wheres the Cacti from? They would work great for a fallout new vegas setting.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2013, 02:43:47 AM »
As I said a page earlier, they are beads I stole from my wife painted green with autumn colored flock glued on top.

The perfect circle is from my leaving the CD's on the board with a little 2-sided tape until I get to the painting stage.  Texturing the CD's when I spray just means that they are ready to go when I am working on new stuff.

And, in my own carzy way, I have done a few more cars I got on the cheap at local flea markets for terrain.

I feel pretty good about the weathering on these.  They are a little large at 1/35 scale, but they'll do.

And I found some bits and bobs that I am not entirely sure where they came from, but look good as possible mutant or alien plot points.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:48 AM »
And, what the heck.  I added him to the post-apocalypse painting challenge thingy..

Well, until I actually read the rules, I did.  :`

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:46:45 PM by Sinewgrab »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - The return to Fallout (Updated 9-9-14!)
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2014, 04:54:42 AM »
More stuff!

Gosh, it sure has been a while.

Plasticville is a Fallout junkie's bestest friend...

And a little outpost..

And some little bits and pieces for character...

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
Nice additions love them buildings

Offline Shuby

• Bookworm
    • 28mm from hell
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2014, 06:23:42 AM »
Cool stuff. A lot of very good ideas. I love the dead cows...

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Neil,
Some new toys.
Love them.
Really like the new buildings. Sweet.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - The return to Fallout (Updated 11-11-14!)
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:09 PM »
And we have a bit more stuff.  Keeps me busy while we endure these 40mph gusts of wind today.  Going to be fun to clean my yard when all this is done.

And what fun is a wasteland without old telephone poles?

And I decided to turn an old oversized pickup into a cart.  Brahmin get killed often enough I decided not to attach one...

Bet you thought I had gone away, didn't you?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »
And the main characters for a small RPG a friend of mine is running in the Fallout universe.

Nada Piper

Raz the Ghoul, sniper.

And Midas, the man with the golden power fist.

And from behind...

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »
Sweet and simple. c: Nice figures too, and the golden glove.  lol
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:45 AM »
Thanks!  The flannel shirt on Nada was a pain - the character is based on Roddy Piper from 'They Live', then someone thought Raz, a ghoul, was an appropriate name. (Batman reference...) I just finished a commission painting 20+ Armorcast buildings from back in the 90's that the fellow forgot he had until he brought me a plastic box that hadn't seen the light of day for almost 20 years, and asked me to put them together and paint them for him, and now I need to get some stuff I like to paint done.