Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Telegraph lines?  (Read 12670 times)

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Telegraph lines?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
Anyone got pictures of what Russian/Central Asian/Chinese telgraph poles actually looked like post WW1 - mid 1920's?  I reall;y want to get some, and this fascinating thread has got me going again!

Russian ones were mostly just a bare pole with some wires on insulators to the side. Often with a diagonal piece to stabilise it at the base (sometimes two). The number of wires differed, but I've seen up to six on a bare pole. Between towns that would be all, I believe, in almost all cases. Nice and easy to model.

Inside towns themselves the same, plus in high concentration areas one or more cross-bars with wires on insulators. I've got a picture of Tallinn at the time with a pole with three cross-bars, each with 8 wires.

My understanding is that Russia, especially western Russia, had quite a high telephone concentration for the time, inside the bigger towns. No idea of the situation out east, but bare poles between towns would seem to be what you need.

However, communication between towns seems to be largely by telegraph. My understanding, and it is not an area I know much about, is that telephones didn't have the switching to allow long distance communication.

Looking at old photos you see lots of examples. (Surprisingly not all rail lines seem to have one, but it is possible they are to the side or taking a shorter route.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:48:52 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
Russian ones were mostly just a bare pole with some wires on insulators to the side. Often with a diagonal piece to stabilise it at the base (sometimes two). The number of wires differed, but I've seen up to six on a bare pole. Between towns that would be all, I believe, in almost all cases. Nice and easy to model.

Inside towns themselves the same, plus in high concentration areas one or more cross-bars with wires on insulators. I've got a picture of Tallinn at the time with a pole with three cross-bars, each with 8 wires.

My understanding is that Russia, especially western Russia, had quite a high telephone concentration for the time, inside the bigger towns. No idea of the situation out east, but bare poles between towns would seem to be what you need.

However, communication between towns seems to be largely by telegraph. My understanding, and it is not an area I know much about, is that telephones didn't have the switching to allow long distance communication.

Looking at old photos you see lots of examples. (Surprisingly not all rail lines seem to have one, but it is possible they are to the side or taking a shorter route.)

Thanks Mark.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »

Ditto.  Excellent intel as always.  The Westwind ones look quite good.  I'll give them a shot.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »

Anyone got similar intel on British/Raj telegraph poles?

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Here are a few photos, which show typical telegraph poles that time in Russia.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
Interesting photos. The poles look four or five times taller than the men, it means between 7 and 9 metres high !?

I do not know what the average height was in western Europe at that time.

Hey I must go and measure the modern telephone poles just outside my house, I believed that they are not so tall but now I am in doubt. ???

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 04:04:57 PM »
Here are a few photos, which show typical telegraph poles that time in Russia.

Cuprum - thank you!

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
Interesting photos. The poles look four or five times taller than the men, it means between 7 and 9 metres high !?

A lot of photos show very tall poles. These two are Estonian: one very tall, the others showing the supporting struts:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:12:51 PM by Mark Plant »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »
 I side with the bare poles no wires side. Mine are plastic railway ones that fit on the same washers as troops.

Now the obvious way of wiring them and avoiding clumsy gamers would be to use copper wire and to connect them to a car battery. I suspect that, like cows, most gamers would learn to avoid them after the third or fourth shock. :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
If cows can learn not to touch them, then how come rural Welsh Marches kids can't? We would while away the summer holidays holding on to electric cow fences as kids, just for kicks.

We didn't have heroin and crack cocaine in our sleepy neck of the woods in those days.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
If cows can learn not to touch them, then how come rural Welsh Marches kids can't? We would while away the summer holidays holding on to electric cow fences as kids, just for kicks.

We didn't have heroin and crack cocaine in our sleepy neck of the woods in those days.

... so you pissed on the electric fences? That's something we only did once on the island where I spent my summers.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »

LOL!  We spent many a summer in Indiana tricking my cousin Stu into touching the electric fence.  he always fell for "race you to the fence!"
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
Stu went on to work for the Bush administration and was later instrumental in planning the invasion of Iraq.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
... so you pissed on the electric fences? That's something we only did once on the island where I spent my summers.

Hell no! They might have been Welsh and desperate for kicks, but they were not stupid.

At least I hope so. lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »

Perhaps the sight of sheep on the other side of the fence was just too strong an attraction to resist? Idle speculation on my part, I'll admit.