Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: For the love of God, a new LPL, please! :)  (Read 14846 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
For the love of God, a new LPL, please! :)
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:24:07 AM »
I'll tell ya, I am ready as heck for a new LPL.  I have three teams done, two in the works, and a mountain of lead that caused me as much shame when it came time for New Year's resolutions as did my increasing pants measurement.  Now that Lead Adventure Miniatures is launched, surely it's time to turn attention back to painting again, right?  I beg you, announce a time.   ;D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: For the love of God, a new LPL, please! :)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »

I would like to see the return of the LPL too… especially since I have a box of figures to paint for a commission work coming on soon lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »
Yes.  Or even knowledge of what the bonus rounds will be so we can paint them.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »
Yes please,nothing like the LPL to force one to paint ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:33:07 AM »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »
It is coming, and soon(ish). Watch this space  8)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
Hardly in the spirit of the thing to have half your teams done or nearly done already. Whatever happened to the "working under pressure to a deadline" aspect of the thing? Might not be breaking any rules but definitely not cricket.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »
Hardly in the spirit of the thing to have half your teams done or nearly done already. Whatever happened to the "working under pressure to a deadline" aspect of the thing? Might not be breaking any rules but definitely not cricket.

I must admit that the reason I did a couple leagues was to get me back into painting... and it worked!

Having said that, and also acknowledging Plynkesters reminder of the "spirit" of the league, I also have to admit that it would be impossible for me to participate in the LPL without a lot of prior preparation.  The fact of the matter is that the bar has been raised so high that it was inevitable that folks would begin preparations and painting a long time before the contest... especially those who have the skill to contest the upper regions of the table.

I look forward to the next LPL and tons of beautiful minis.  I really don't care if folks have been methodically preparing for the league.  And even though I will not be participating, I really do encourage folks to "jump in" if they have never participated because prior preparations or not... the league really does get you painting lots of minis.

And THAT... is the real bottom line of the competition.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »

I’ve always said to myself, this time I’m going to start painting earlier… but in fact I never find the motivation to do so before the competition start. I think that I had to use a "fall back" team (already painted but not published) only once in 20 rounds (two LPL seasons). The motivation factor of the LPL seem to work with me lol

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:09 PM »
I’ve always said to myself, this time I’m going to start painting earlier… but in fact I never find the motivation to do so before the competition start. I think that I had to use a "fall back" team (already painted but not published) only once in 20 rounds (two LPL seasons). The motivation factor of the LPL seem to work with me lol

That's my thing too. I always intend to sock away some teams but when it comes down to it, I don't get anything done until the contest actually starts. Then my first team (and all my following teams) come down to nail-biting finishes to see if I will get them done in time...

Long live the LPL!
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:21 PM »
Might not be breaking any rules but definitely not cricket.

I know how you feel about this issue, Plynkes, but I respectfully disagree.  The LPL is not an iron-painting contest; it is merely a painting contest.  I don't think that you or I are privy to the "spirit" of the LPL--perhaps Alex can enlighten us on that regard?--but for me, the spirit of the LPL is to stimulate the painting of lead, to get out some eye-candy that others haven't seen before, and to be a participating member of the community.  That is the spirit in which I take part in the LPL.  I'm not trying to win the LPL; I am simply trying to force myself to paint and to participate.  If I am required to submit only entries that are painted after the LPL is announced, I will not be able to participate; my job (and "life") is too demanding.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »
Not claiming to be privy to anything. The opinions expressed here are those of Plynkes alone and do not necessarily state or represent the views, positions or policies of leadadventureforum.com, Alex Bews or any employee thereof.

All I'm saying is, knowing that someone has completed their teams at their leisure and with no time pressure between seasons is certainly going to alter my view of their entry when voting time rolls around. One or two backups in case of emergency, and getting started the second the season announcement is made is one thing, but having half or more of one's entries sitting on a shelf in anticipation months in advance is something else altogether.

But each to their own. It's no biggie. It's not supposed to be taken too seriously, after all (and that one is gospel). If that's what it takes for you to participate, then fair enough. I'd rather you were in it than not in it. :)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
I hear ya.   :)  Just so you know though, there's definately time pressure (although I realize it's not the time pressure you're talking about).

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
well not unless it's Pakistani cricket.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
It's not supposed to be taken too seriously, after all (and that one is gospel).

You said it.

And just to make public the opinion of Alex Bews. Alex doesn't bother about how many backup teams you've got at the start of a season. I like good show, which LPL always is and I don't like to see only a team going through half or even the whole season without replacing it. More teams = more show, so feel free to start painting if you like.