Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In The Service Of Kings  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
In The Service Of Kings
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
This is my latest project an El Cid/Reconquista period army for Warhammer Ancient battles that I've been intending to do for years now,but just finally got  it together to do it.
It's an all mounted force that is mercenary in nature where at times it found itself employed by Muslim Taifa Kings ,but more often then not in the employ of the Christian kingdom of Aragon between the years 1090(King Pedro) and 1135(Alfonso I) covering both El Cid's period and the early Reconquista under Alfonso I "The battler".The time line,personalties and armies involved,plus the look is my favourite for this period.
The General is Christian by nature and for using the lists in the book,but after that it has a real mix of Christian and Moorish cultures in appearance to reflect their various masters they have served over the years.
I want the army to look as if they are all part of the same force,but still retain their individuality.So,I did the bases,shields and banners in uniformed colour,but varied the designs to keep the individual look.By doing this, I was able to paint the clothes in different colours without losing an army identity and still stay somewhat within period background.
I did some minor conversion work in helmet adjustments and adding more length to their garments to try and give more of Spanish knight feel to them.
The army is done using army painter,but with added highlights which costs significant  painting time,but is still faster then black lining and doing the eyes.However,I will add that the white charger,white bits on the horses,shields and banners were all painted normally without AP.
First up is a unit of unit of Caballeros Hidalgos(Noble Knights) who were the cream of the Christian armies consisting primarily,but not exclusively of the wealthy noble born.
Like I mentioned they have a very Moorish flair to them to represent their cultural make up and their various employers they fought for both Christian and Moors.
The General is naturally the grizzled veteran on the white charger.I decided to grey his hair and even add some white to represent the hardship of years of hard campaigning.The army standard is carrying the large Lion banner which represents the commanders personal heraldry.The other knights are his personal bodyguards and most loyal supporters.
More pics on my blog for a few more angles http://christopher-bunkerhill.blogspot.com/.
Thank you for reading and viewing.  :)

Caballeros Hidalgos(Noble Knights)

Christopher
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:55:40 PM by Axebreaker »

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: In The Service Of Kings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
Well, I even like them the third time I see them. :D And why not... the result is simply brilliant, Axebreaker! The shields and banners are very beautiful indeed.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
I really like these, I think you've got the look spot on with the mixing of cultures. Great job.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
Wow, impressive caballeros you have there!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
Beautiful work there Chris  :-*  :-*  :-*

I especially like the shields  :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
Beautiful work there!  :-* I'm saving this in the inspiration file for if I ever get back to my Sicilian Norman project.

Offline FunkyBrush

• Scientist
    • FunkyBrush's Painting Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
Top notch :-*
http://miniatures-painting.blogspot.com/

What a fascinating modern age we live in

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! :D

Beautiful work there!  Love I'm saving this in the inspiration file for if I ever get back to my Sicilian Norman project.

Looking forward to seeing them and it comes as no surprise I like the Italo/Sicilian Normans as the look very similar to the Spanish in this period. :)

Christopher

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »
Very nice! Shields and horses really stand out  :o
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Excellent Christopher. Absolutely love them. What a great looking unit  :)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
Thank you!I appreciate it! :D

Christopher

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
wow! they look excellent! I love it!

mode nerd on
Little comment in case you want to increase their flavour, on the XI century you can use the word "infanzon" instead of "hidalgo" if they are more related to the House of Aragon, "Infanzon" (one) or "Infanzones" (many) has exactly same meaning than "Hidalgo" witch is more widely used in the Kingdom of castilla.

By addition if you want to use the word "hidalgo" in medieval spanish simply replace "h" with "f", so would be "Fidalgos".

In fact according to your background the use of Hidalgo/infanzon is great, because one of the sources of the word is "son of..." in the same way the muslims use the "..ibn..", so even semantically their name is on the iberic mix pot
mode nerd off
I'm sorry for the nerd attack, I'm going take my pills
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:50:32 PM by Donpimpom »

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
on the XI century you can use the word "infanzon" instead of "hidalgo" if they are more related to the House of Aragon

Actually,I viewed the general more as non devout Christian mercenary employed by the house of Aragon then actually a member of it(although he could be) as he just as likely to work for any of the neighbouring Muslim Taifa Kings.Whoever hires his services first,has deep pockets and isn't on his dung list with an intent of later carving out his own little kingdom is what I had in mind .Very similar to El Cid himself in style was the idea.
Also,since I'm moved easily by sights and sounds I prefer Hidalgo over Infanzon.I know,I'm an easy mark for strict historians. lol

By addition if you want to use the word "hidalgo" in medieval spanish simply replace "h" with "f", so would be "Fidalgos".

No doubt your probably correct,but calling your units Fidalgos to an English ear isn't very inspiring IMHO. ;)

I'm sorry for the nerd attack, I'm going take my pills

Absolutely no need to apologize as I really appreciate you taking the time to have in interest in my thread and enlightening me on a bit of historical facts.Constructive comments like yours are always welcome.Thank you! :D

Christopher

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:14:33 PM by Axebreaker »