Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690903
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Giant steampunk mech from Privateer Press  (Read 8485 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Giant steampunk mech from Privateer Press
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
Ok, how about the Gun Carriage?

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/battle-engines-/gun-carriage

Doug

Nope.

Super Heavy "Hussite War Wagon" with cannons but only two horses?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
Couldn't agree more.
I can't actually see a single part of it that could even be described as vaguely Victorian...

Well that would be that Victorian isn't anywhere involved game or the world.

Edit: I mean, just look at the driver's hair!

Whats wrong with the hair? Since the main weapon of this force is electricity hair standing on end isn't all that wrong for a fantasy game is it?

I'm more irritated since I cannot figure out the purpose. Is it a walking disco ball (read, lightning projector? I seem to recall Cygnar being affiliated to electricity, or thunder-somethings)? That and the lack of protection visible, although it might have a force-field or some magical whotsit.

Yes, Cygnar forces main weapon is electricity. Alot of their forces use it as a weapon as well as some forces are immune to it and some forces have both. But disco ball is a good one as well. Save that for one of your Fallout WMD's. :-)

Grimm

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/battle-engines-/gun-carriage

Doug

Solicits a mildly amused "meh". Somehow those steam horses(?) are "over the top". I'd have preferred a nice steam-powered armoured wagon.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 01:10:46 AM »
Nope.

Super Heavy "Hussite War Wagon" with cannons but only two horses?

Gracias,

Glenn

Solicits a mildly amused "meh". Somehow those steam horses(?) are "over the top". I'd have preferred a nice steam-powered armoured wagon.

Fair enough; even at these prices, I'm willing to consider the possibility of swapping out a team of two steamies with a larger number of real horses. I'm sure there's something I could do with them.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 01:29:36 AM »
Basic Transportation for the Ego Enhanced?   lol   :o

Dibs on riding the awesome mech platform that spits lightning!
The rest of you, walk. Or maybe run, because this thing kinda spits lightning everywhere.

Seriously though, if that thing won't cost me someone's arm and leg, I'll propably wind up getting one so I can use it for some steampunk thing that comes to mind. Maybe Girl Genius skirmish level game, which I'll propably wind up creating too.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
Just as a slight thing, the horses pulling the Khador wagon aren't steam powered, just covered in armour. It's a setting thing, the Khador warhorses are supposed to be huge and strong capable of carrying steam-power armoured troops. Think Shire horses capable of battlefield use. Not very realistic but then it's a game with giant steampowered robots (although Golems is actually a better label for them) and magic.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
Yes, that was rather my point, after all, it has been placed in the VSF board...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

Whats wrong with the hair? Since the main weapon of this force is electricity hair standing on end isn't all that wrong for a fantasy game is it?

Yes, Cygnar forces main weapon is electricity. Alot of their forces use it as a weapon as well as some forces are immune to it and some forces have both. But disco ball is a good one as well. Save that for one of your Fallout WMD's. :-)

Grimm

Grimm, I think Answer_is_42 was merely pointing out that it wasn't necessarily suitable for VSF, but for Fantasy, manga'ish Steampunk games it might be more suitable.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
Just as a slight thing, the horses pulling the Khador wagon aren't steam powered, just covered in armour. It's a setting thing, the Khador warhorses are supposed to be huge and strong capable of carrying steam-power armoured troops. Think Shire horses capable of battlefield use. Not very realistic but then it's a game with giant steampowered robots (although Golems is actually a better label for them) and magic.

Thanks for the clarification. A bit boring then - I would have preferred an automobile steam coach.

That said, I do like the design of the coach body. Casemates/sponsons and all. If one were to leave out those Panzer Shire Horses and use some nicer wheels, I would really like it, but at that price, I'd probably build my own based on the design.

All that goes to show how out of touch I am with Warmachine. I had several of the startes back in '03 and some blisters for my Khador force (Men-o-War which I never painted in EIGHT FRICKIN' YEARS), but quickly lost interest when it became apparent (to me) that the game would be a competitive combo-fest that combined the worst aspects of MagicTG and Warhammer, at least in Germany...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:12:05 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:53 AM »
Again it's a setting thing. Khador struggles to produce the 'cortex' which acts as a brain for the Warjacks and prefers to rely on proven technologies, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have upgraded warwagons. Whereas Cygnar embraces everything new, hence the big walker with the disco globe.

You either like Warmachine or you don't usually. It is very much like playing MtG with miniatures in some ways as it is best to learn the abilities of your troops and work out the most effective ways to create 'combo's'. It's also very competitive and ruthless, things I dislike in most Wargames (it's the reason I wouldn't play in GW tournaments even when I worked there and got tickets for free) but in Warmachine the game is designed that way from the ground up and works. I've had games where I've been torn apart and not stood a chance and games where I've wiped out my opponent and had more figures on the board than when I started. However I've had more really close games where both sides could win at any moment than in any other system and those are really enjoyable. The Mk2 re-write of the game really helped the system but if you didn't like the style of play in the the original then you're unlikely to like it in the current one.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
Add another horse and say it is an armoured tachanka for BoB.

It's already painted red.

lol

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
Add another horse and say it is an armoured tachanka for BoB.

It's already painted red.
 lol

If I could get it already assembled and painted, the cost would seem a lot less wicked. ;->=

Oh, and sorry for total thread hijacking; I'm really looking forward to the four-legged beastie.

Without Yu-Gi-Oh, though; static does not do THAT to hair.  lol

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Seriously though, if that thing won't cost me someone's arm and leg, I'll propably wind up getting one so I can use it for some steampunk thing that comes to mind. Maybe Girl Genius skirmish level game, which I'll propably wind up creating too.

Now that you mention it I seem to remember some sort of lighting devices in girl genius that has that same "globe with circles on it" look going for them, then again I might be wrong. No point in searching for it, the comic has less pages without lighting machines than it has with them I wager.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)