Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Primer Search  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Klabautermann

• Assistant
    • http://www.tiny-soldiers.com
Primer Search
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:14 AM »
I need some help. I have primed most of my Minis via spray cans in white and also in black. Now I needed new ones because my old ones where empty (Black matt DuploColour), so I went to the shop, bought 2 cans and went home to prime some miniatures. But it was horrible, there must be some filler material in and now that filler (or whatever) is sprinkled on the miniatures.

So I search for new primers, and thought about brushed on primer, like Humbrol black matt enamel oder ModelMaster enamel. Who tried allready ModelMaster enamel. Is it okay? Or are there some "Wundermittel" "Must haves" for priming ?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Primer Search
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »
Quote from: "Klabautermann"
I need some help. I have primed most of my Minis via spray cans in white and also in black. Now I needed new ones because my old ones where empty (Black matt DuploColour), so I went to the shop, bought 2 cans and went home to prime some miniatures. But it was horrible, there must be some filler material in and now that filler (or whatever) is sprinkled on the miniatures.

So I search for new primers, and thought about brushed on primer, like Humbrol black matt enamel oder ModelMaster enamel. Who tried allready ModelMaster enamel. Is it okay? Or are there some "Wundermittel" "Must haves" for priming ?

It is (probably) not filler, it is what happenes if you spray too far away or when it is too much damp in the air. How sensetive the aerosol is varies from brand to brand. Try, before you discard the cans, to spray closer to the minis and/or in a drier environment.

Offline Klabautermann

• Assistant
    • http://www.tiny-soldiers.com
Primer Search
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »
Normally I would agree with your words hammershield, but this time there where the same conditions as the days before ;(

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Primer Search
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm using GW ones (and they're really good). Also I've made some experiences with Vallejo black one. It's also not bad. But GW is better.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
Primer Search
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:14:35 PM »
I use Krylon Grey and White primer. For a black primer I use GW's Chaos Black. Though it seems like GW changed the mix slightly when I bought a new can last month. It still works fine. But when you first spray the figures it looks thick but dries ok.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Maldegen

• Assistant
Primer Search
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »
Hi there,

I would recommend GW Chaos Black as well. It sells in Germany for about 11,50 EUR I think.

Another try I had with a can of Vallejo's Black Primer. But it wasn't as smooth as GW's. My Vallejo paints get better on the Chaos Black.

Cheers, Ralf

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Primer Search
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 12:33:03 AM »
IMHO absolutely the best primer money can buy is Holts Turbo Primer.
I had been using this for years and couldn't get hold of it anymore.

Tried at least a dozen other primers and not a single one came close to the finish you get with HTP. Mirror smooth but with a good grip for oils- yes I'm that old- or acrylics. Dries in minutes. Only drawback; only available in (dark) grey.

About a month ago I found a new distributor in the Netherlands. Called the man and he told me there was a stockist less than 10 minutes drive from where I live. Immediately bought 10 cans and ordered 10 more.

Try it. I promise you won't be dissapointed!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 04:24:45 AM »
I recently gave the new Armory spray primer a shot.  Its flawless.  It reminds me of the old GW primer when it was in its hay day.  And at $5.95 a can, the Armory stuff is just right.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:46 AM »
I use Chaos Black from GW, good and readily available, but the price is now £8 a can.............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
...thought about brushed on primer, like Humbrol black matt enamel...

I only use brush-on primer.  Either Humbrol black matt enamel or Liquitex Black Gesso.

With the Humbrol I thin with White Sprit and apply two thin layers.  With the Gesso I use a flat brush, apply undiluted and daub it on thickly.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that a lot of people swear by Halford's grey car body primer. I've not tried it myself as I don't have the luxury of space or contant temperature and humidity for spraying in.

There's bound to be an equivalent in Germany, if you can't get hold of that.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:35:54 PM »
...thought about brushed on primer, like Humbrol black matt enamel...

I only use brush-on primer.  Either Humbrol black matt enamel or Liquitex Black Gesso.

With the Humbrol I thin with White Sprit and apply two thin layers.  With the Gesso I use a flat brush, apply undiluted and daub it on thickly.

I also use brush-on Humbrol Matt Black enamel when I'm in a hurry and a) Can't spay due to the weather (like now), or b) Cannot wait for a batch for a batch to be ready for piming (I usually prime 20-30 minis at a time - and, yes, I have a whole lot of primed, unpainted minis), or c) have no spray primer left.

I have not thinned it, yet, but have been thinking about it. White spirit, you say...? The kind used for cleaning grease off doorframes, and the likes?

I have had good results with Army Painter's black primer, but sometimes it turns out slightly coarse, so I mainly use it for buildings and terrain pieces, preferring GW Chaos Black.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:51:09 PM »
I really like the Army Painter spraypaint they now stock at Spielkultur. At 9,95 (IIRC, maybe 10,95, but definitely a bit cheaper than the GW stuff), it´s good value for money, but you need to be careful with spraying distance because it *may* dry up very, very smooth - but if you keep to the "10-12 inch distance rule", it works out fine. Good coverage, excellent yield (I usually get several hundred figures out of a single can).

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
So call me a Philistine but I use Testors Model Master Acrylic grey (brush-on) and I haven't had any problems...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »
I use whatever grey primer is on sale at the store when I happen to go in, and haven't ever had issues.

I've got two cans on the go right now (misplaced the first, bought the second, found the first again...), used both just this week (different batches of minis) and had no issues with either. No idea what the brand is, it sure as heck isn't overpriced "hobby primer", but I've never, ever had any issues.

(except the time I grabbed the grey primer when I meant to grab the Dullcote, but that's hardly the spraycan's fault...)  lol