Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690997
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 16thC Colonial Portuguese  (Read 6384 times)

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: 16thC Colonial Portuguese
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
Thanks. Some nice looking figures there.
And one or two not quite so nice looking to be honest  ::)

A bit bizarre that they are the 'new' Portuguese range though, since these figures have been available for many years 'under the counter' but never released up to now...
Seems a peculiar way of running a business to me. Think if I'd paid for sculpts, I'd get 'em into production and onto the market quick as I could. But Eureka and one or two others miniatures companies seem happy to leave figures unreleased for years...  :?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »
Like fine wine/cheese... aging?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37:42 PM »
that's odd, i don't dislike them, but they look.... oldish news! lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
And one or two not quite so nice looking to be honest  ::)

A bit bizarre that they are the 'new' Portuguese range though, since these figures have been available for many years 'under the counter' but never released up to now...
Seems a peculiar way of running a business to me. Think if I'd paid for sculpts, I'd get 'em into production and onto the market quick as I could. But Eureka and one or two others miniatures companies seem happy to leave figures unreleased for years...  :?

I bought these around 3 years ago Cap`n but I have noticed they have fleshout out the figures with a few variants. They are nicer in the flesh and what isnt explained is a lot of them can be used as Bandierantes/Paulistas who were of mixed parentage and slavers etc. They would certianly make for good generic Rennaisance pirates too

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
How do they compare sizewise with Foundry's Conquistadors or Swashbucklers?
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »
They fit well with the Conquistadors however if you are being a purist they are wearing later armour  (some not all) e.g. Portugues have crested helmets which werent around in the early 1500s.

The swashbucklers are a little larger or rather more rotund than Eureka but to my eye work OK.

Infact I have used my Swashbucklers as French whilst the Eureak will be Portuguese althoug the Foundry Pike will be a militia unit for the Brazil wood war.

Dont forget either that the Foundry Carribean (ex slaves or maroons) can actually be used with these (at last they find a home) as slaves were used commonly in Portuguese armies in Brazil.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
Good enough for me  :) ..........and I've got loads of them Carribean rebel slaves  8)

Offline Renaud

• Bookworm
  • Butterfly hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
And one or two not quite so nice looking to be honest  ::)

Which ones are you referring too? Being almost a newbie on this period, I can't tell much about their historicity. I am astonished however that for the 16th century it is possible to distinguish Portuguese from other European powers. What makes them Portuguese? And is there an historical reason for Lowtartog to use Foundry's Swashbucklers for French?

This range seems quite nice, and reminds me of the nice comic "La sueur du soleil", great inspiration for skirmish in 16th century New World.

http://www.bedetheque.com/serie-1134-BD-Sueur-du-soleil.html#4916
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:03:12 AM by Renaud »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Hello Renaud, There is nothing particulalry there to distinguish them. However it is their attire which captures the feel of the Portuguese in Brazil and in particular the Bandierantes/Paulists at this time who were to all intents and purposes raiders, explorers and slavers. The best book to read on the topic in Red Gold, which is very well written and a wealth of info for historians and gamers alike.

I used the Foundry Swashbucklers as Frnech to denote for my games recently arrived ships crews, so less ragged than their enemy.

Though what I have done is mix and match to some extent with Portuguese militia being the Foundry pikemen.

The sailors in the Eureka range are universal and can be used as most nationalities.

There is nothing stopping you using them for either side. The brief write up on the Eureka site is a good starting point and I would also recommend the Foundry book on Meso America etc whihc gives a good potted history on Brazil and not only the Tupi but many of the other tribes.

Dont forget throughout the 16th Century Brazil was invaded, traded and colonised by Portuguese, French, even the British visited and laterly the Spanish and Dutch.

The Tupi models form both Copplestone and Eureka can also be taken into and up to the 1700s...for that the film to watch is the Mission which portrays the natives relatively unchanged...I think they are meant to be Potigauru

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
What really makes them Portuguese that they were designed to provide opposition for the Tupi range in Eureka's stable. That and the fact that there are some peculiarly Luso-Brazilian figures in the range: bandeirantes, mamelucos etc.

That said, most of the range could be used as generic, mid to late 16th C European colonial forces. Indeed some of the earlier Conquistadore range by the same designer can be used to supplement this range and vice versa. Many are weraing cotton armour or leather jacks. Pretty much all of them are in shirtsleeves or light clothing, which somewhat limits their use for northern Europe. No reason not to use many of them them as French or Spaniards or even as part of Drake's expeditions.

I suspect that Lowtardog chose the Foundry figures as French to provide some variety and diferentation. I like the idea myself,  it sets them a little apart from the Portuguese and as the Foundry figures are somewhat more sartorially splendid I suppose it plays well to the established convention of the French as snappy dressers. Actually as many of the members Villegagnon's settlement consisted of French Protestants and Swiss Calvinists, I suspect they would hae inclined to rather sober clothing styles.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
The Tupi models form both Copplestone and Eureka can also be taken into and up to the 1700s...for that the film to watch is the Mission which portrays the natives relatively unchanged...I think they are meant to be Potigauru

I think the Indians in the Mission are meant to be Guarani, certainly they were the predominant ethnic group in the Seven Missions area.

Hemming's Red Gold is indeed an excellent read and avery useful source for gamers.

For an even better film (from both an artistic and wargaming angle) set in the late 18th C, look out for Lúcia Murat's Brava Gente Brasileira which deals with the war against the Guaicuru peoples in Mato Grosso. Alas nobody produces suitable figures on horseback, whcih is a pity because pretty much most AWI ranges can be used for the Portuguese in that conflict.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »

And one or two not quite so nice looking to be honest  ::)

Which ones are you referring too?

Well, for instance, if we take these two figures from the same pack...

...I'd say the one on the right is a handsome figure, in proportion, great pose, nice character and detailing.

And the one on the left looks like he has something wrong with him. Weird pose and anatomy, peculiar face... kind of Old Glory-style.

Inconsistent execution. Just my view.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
Carlos hit the nail on the head, Yep I want my Portuguese to ragged ne`er do wells whilst the French some of which equally ragged and barefoot to have a little more about them, the ranges compliment one another though there are in the Foundry range some who are very much dressed for European theatre, I rationalise that for gaming in that they are troops brought into the area ;)

The Brazilwood war is fascinating the easiest way to describe is it that take the French Indian wars for most encounters with natives fighting on both sides, then add in DArkest Africa in the 19th century, your Bandierantes are the rugga rugga, zanzibaris working under warrant or not for the Portuguese gov`t.

Stir gently and add in to taste the very real fear of cannibalism both ritual and for food based upon varying descriptions of those in the hostirical texts. :D

This chap has a few brief outlines for the period

http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/new-world/brazil/index.htm

I agree on the use of earlier figures, some of the conquistador figures can easily be used, the Eureka figures depict those of the mid/later 16th century with the use of the morion which Cortes and Pizzaros epedtitions would not have worn at the time (Think Foundry and TAG conquistadors for example)

But the portuguese would also look equally at home (not those with native weapons such as the bow, spears(not sure why one figure has those but he could be a maroon) and the tacape club) i Sfrica or the far east or even india

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »
I think the Indians in the Mission are meant to be Guarani, certainly they were the predominant ethnic group in the Seven Missions area.

Hemming's Red Gold is indeed an excellent read and avery useful source for gamers.

For an even better film (from both an artistic and wargaming angle) set in the late 18th C, look out for Lúcia Murat's Brava Gente Brasileira which deals with the war against the Guaicuru peoples in Mato Grosso. Alas nobody produces suitable figures on horseback, whcih is a pity because pretty much most AWI ranges can be used for the Portuguese in that conflict.

You are right Guarani d`oh the one I keep looking for is the German language Hans Staden which deals with a chap held by the Tupi in captivity, intially destined for consumption :D