Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:53:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Castle Ravenloft mini size?  (Read 5485 times)

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Castle Ravenloft mini size?
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »
I just spooted this game, and surfing the web it has some contradictory comments about gaming, playability, components, etc, but everybody says that the minis are VERY GOOD.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/207790000

You can see the minis displayed if you watch the "unboxing" video at the bottom of the page.

Some say they are "like the DnD range", but...

Does anyone have this game, and can give us a size rating?

Are the minis 25mm? 28mm? 30mm? other?

Thank you very much.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Castle Ravenloft mini size?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:05 AM »
I remember the additional Ral Partha (?) lead miniatures being smallish 28mm.

Offline Rob_Jedi

• Librarian
    • Rob Jedi's Miniature Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:55:12 AM »
Was playing the game repeatedly through my New Years getaway, all of the minis are exactly the same as the prepainted D&D minis range they just aren't painted. Size wise I'd say 28mm.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:44:10 AM »
They blend well with Foundry, WestWind Gothic Horror range, Artizan etc. Good luck in trying to get hold of them as they are now oop.  ::)

If you want to see some shots of the female vampires from the range check out my Dracula chapter two thread at the top of the page. They are all Ravenloft figures.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
I remember the additional Ral Partha (?) lead miniatures being smallish 28mm.

I'm a bit confused; the Castle Ravenloft board game came out this summer, as it says in the link. If it's out of production, I know there are plenty of copies around.

Ral Partha hasn't been around since 2001, though much of its old lines is put out by Iron Wind; are you talking about the Ravenloft box set for D&D?

Was playing the game repeatedly through my New Years getaway, all of the minis are exactly the same as the prepainted D&D minis range they just aren't painted. Size wise I'd say 28mm.

I'm going to guess that you are giving the game itself thumbs up; haven't tried it yet, but the few I know who have seem to agree. The reviews, though, are all over the place, so YMMV appears to be huge. It's a bit dear, but so are most FFG recent productions.

Has there been ANY additional items put out for the board game?

Doug

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »
I'm a bit confused; the Castle Ravenloft board game came out this summer, as it says in the link. If it's out of production, I know there are plenty of copies around.

Ral Partha hasn't been around since 2001, though much of its old lines is put out by Iron Wind; are you talking about the Ravenloft box set for D&D?

Castle Ravenloft was an old D&D module, it pretty much spawned Ravenloft Campaign setting, albeit several years later. If I recall correctly Ral Partha produced miniatures for many of the D&D worlds under license from TSR in the 80s and 90s? And produced miniatures for the Ravenloft campaign setting

Wizards recently released Castle Ravenloft as a boardgame, as far as I'm aware it pays lip service to D&D, and is designed for boardgamers as opposed to roleplayers?. (Confusingly, in 2006/2007 Wizards also released a D&D source book named Expedition to Castle Ravenloft which included an adventure which was similar to the original)

I hope that this helps
Cheers
Andy

*EDIT*

Ral Partha still seem to be trading; http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:05:23 PM by oldskoolrebel »

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »

Ral Partha hasn't been around since 2001
Doug

This is not quite true as I stock Ral Partha Miniatures here in Australia. I get them from Ral Partha Europe.

Pete
BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

Offline TheSnackist

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »

As he said. They are simply DnD prepaints in various solid colors... Not painted.

-TheSnackist

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »
The lack of Pre-paint may or may not be a bad thing. 

Is the plastic the bendy flexible type, the hard plastic type, or somewhere in-between?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »
Thanks to all for your answers.

The lack of Pre-paint may or may not be a bad thing. 

Is the plastic the bendy flexible type, the hard plastic type, or somewhere in-between?

Gracias,

Glenn

Another good question Conquistador.

I guess is the kind of plastic recently used for games like DOOM, WARCRAFT and others by FFG, and not the hard kind we miniatures players are used to, but then, TSR made some boardgames with hard plastic minis.

Any information abot the matter will be gratly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »
I have a friend who bought this and I played it with him.  As far as the minis go, they are all re-issued figs from the D&D PPP line.  The plastic appears to be the same semi-flexible plastic as the PPP ones, molded in one color.  The clear-blue minis are neat though. The swords etc are all bendy.  Having said that My buddy repainted them with pretty good success.  You can do weapon swaps as the hero figures are OK.  I wouldn't buy the boxed game just for the figs though.  For those curious about the play mechanics:  It's basically slimmed down 4e combat rules.  You can only go to 2nd level during a game (this happens rarely)  there are daily, encounter and at-will powers character cards replace character sheets and the PC's are pre-generated.  Comes with several scenarios that range from simple to challenging.  It looks like WOTC are going to do several of these (Wrath of something or other is next) as a way to pull in the non-rpg crowd with boardgaes that mimic 4e (or essentials rules).  All in all it was a good game.  I would buy it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:44:31 PM by Doomsdave »
This is my boomstick!