Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nuts AAR "Get to the Bridge"  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Armada01

• Lurker
Nuts AAR "Get to the Bridge"
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
Situation: German squads reach a small town and must cross bridge before arrival of
Americans. Intelligence states, American forces could be within the town or are making their way into the town from the north. German rear guard of SS platoon is slowing American advance from the west.   Rules: NUTS 2 by 2 hour wargames
                                                                                                                                                                    North

West

German 1st squad with Halftrack.
MGs stripped previously.

German 2nd squad with Halftrack         
                                                             MGs stripped previously.

Objective of each squad: To reach bridge on other side of town, cross and keep halftracks intact to be able to escape American encirclement. Germans told halftracks
may only move 6 inches until bridge is in sight.

German 1st squad cautiously advances                                     German 2nd squad cautiously moves into houses
into a 2 story building.                                                              along the north side of the town.

As German 1st squad halftrack moves down the road, an American halftrack opens up on the German vehicle causing no damage but causing it to duck back behind the building.

German infantry bursts out of the building at the same time and an American infantryman throws a grenade killing 2 of the men. The third ducks back. However, 2 Germans also moved to 2nd story windows at the same time and 1 takes out the American.

US 1st squad enters table from the north along the riverbank moving cautiously as well. A few break off and enter the 1st house and the others make it to the 2nd house.

The German 2nd squad moves into the the
houses along the middle street of the village.

The US halftrack moves back behind the church and
            covers the church door assuming that German soldiers
                              have made it into the church.

3 German SS troops move into the town from the west. They carry with them a HMG for the halftrack. They make it to the
German squad leaders and notify them that the Americans have broken through and are closing in from the rear.

As the German 1st squad and halftrack move into intersection near church, a US rifleman fires from his hidden spot and takes out the gunner in the halftrack. Other first squad members are using the halftrack for cover. A panzerschreck and loader are with them.

A US squad enters from the west and takes up position along the edge of a building. The Germans roll 6 on next activation and the 2nd US squad splits up. 3 men attempt to throw grenades into the 1st squad German halftrack and are unable to ready their grenades. A 4th American passing between 2 of the buildings also is unable to get his grenade off.

The Americans then roll a 5 on initiative and are unable to move. The German soldier in the halftrack rolls the gasoline barrel off the rear of the halftrack and none of the Americans are able to op fire. As the barrel rolls toward the Americans, the German fires his rifle, the barrel ignites and the flames engulf the 3 Americans. Putting them out of the fight. The halftrack then moves adjacent to church and soldier mans the HMG.

At the Church, the panzershreck moves to the corner of the church while 2 soldiers move out back door and 2 soldiers move out the side door. The US halftrack HMG sees and fires on the panzerschreck and soldier at the back door stunning 1, killing 1, and causing other to duck back. The leader of German 1st squad tries to be a hero, reaches the halftrack, attaches mine which detonates before he can retreat. The mine destroys the halftrack and kills the gunner. The driver bails out. The German leader is killed by the blast.

The Americans achieve initiative and one of the Americans runs to within grenade range of the German 1st squad halftrack, tosses his grenade, and the halftrack is put out of commission with both occupants killed.

1 German halftrack reaches the bridge with 3 German soldiers. Scenario ruled a draw since 1 halftrack escaped.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
Re: Nuts AAR "Get to the Bridge"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
Great AAR.
I love the Nuts rules and it looks like you had a great time.
Thanks for posting it.
Amalric

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »
Yes,great report.
How different are the second edition rules from the first? I've got a copy of the 1st ed but still can't quite get my head around the insight test so have never used them. ???

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
Yes,great report.
How different are the second edition rules from the first? I've got a copy of the 1st ed but still can't quite get my head around the insight test so have never used them. ???

I have the 1st Ed. of Nuts as well and don't let the insight rule keep you from using a great set of rules.
Post a question about the insight test on TMP and Ed Texteria, Nuts' author, will reply.
The 2 hours wargames yahoo group is worth joining just for the FAQ and errata.

Amalric