Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking For Fantasy Rulesets!  (Read 10702 times)

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
Re: Looking For Fantasy Rulesets!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 12:00:57 AM »
Laughing Ferret
Just to let you know, the core edition of HAVOC will work for 10, 15, and 28mm scales- any scale really.

Base size in the game is flexible. As far as base shape goes, round bases work best for the formation system, but I've played with Warmaster and BOTFA armies and had no trouble.

Also, if you pick up the PDF now, then you get 2 free terrain pieces from Dave Graffam Models! :D
http://voodooink.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/havoc-free-terrain-offer/
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline pfaghe

• Schoolboy
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »
Havoc! is the game for fantasy battles in my group in the last 8 months. perfect size (15-30 miniatures), clever rules, a lot of tactic. Absolutely well recommended

paolo

Offline Druthu

• Student
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
Havoc! is the game for fantasy battles in my group in the last 8 months. perfect size (15-30 miniatures), clever rules, a lot of tactic. Absolutely well recommended

paolo

Interesting. Do you have any experience with Savage Worlds Showdown?
Or Song of Blades & Heroes?

I have those rules right now, I am going to see if I can free up some cash for the Havoc PDF.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
I have played plenty of SBH over the last year-and-a-half and recommend them thoroughly, but with a few caveats.  Firstly I completely ignore ALL the stats for Personalities and Warriors given in the various books and a good number of the Special Abilities/Rules as well (some of which are frankly not very useful/awkward to use et cetera.  Simply put there are far too many and they detract from the very simplicity of the rules mechanics which is the selling point of this system.  For instance the only Special Ability from the Song of Wind and Water supplement I permit is Sharpshooter!). 

I create army lists for each 'race' using the Warband Builder tailored towards both the setting I have chosen (in my instance, somewhat unimaginatively, the Warhammer Old World) and what miniatures I have available.  This avoids some of the unfairness that Phreedh mentioned earlier (for instance my Zombies are Q5 C2 Short Move, Undead.  Crap, but not totally hopeless.  Actually my Imperial Militia have a Q6, but we only use them for comedy value) and also allows you to create some really hard-as-nails Personalities which I feel the rulebooks lack (this is fantasy after all, right?).  I have also written my own scenarios (four finished and one nearing completion) which I and my minions feel are much better than anything given in the rulebook.  With these considerable modifications, then, I  feel that SBH is a very elegant and fun system that I'll continue to play into the foreseeable future.  I do hope to get Havoc at some point (I see it's now available as a download) as I've heard some very encouraging things about this set, but until that time SBH it'll be!

Hope this helps a bit!  By the way, I am tarting-up and putting my SBH scenarios (not setting-specific) onto PDF format so if anybody would like to check them out let me know. 

Offline des loup

• Student
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 06:06:11 PM »
Druthu, I recently found the LAF while searching for info on Havoc. I purchased the PDF a couple of weeks ago after reading some battle reports here.

Having played quite a bit of SOBH, I can safely say that even though they are both skirmish games they are not the same game at all. While SOBH is fun, quick, and a great game for conventions, Havoc is a beast!

I've only played 4 games so far but I find that I am constantly thinking about the tactics. It's definitely a solid purchase. I shouldn't have waited so long!

Offline Druthu

• Student
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:10 AM »
Druthu, I recently found the LAF while searching for info on Havoc. I purchased the PDF a couple of weeks ago after reading some battle reports here.

Having played quite a bit of SOBH, I can safely say that even though they are both skirmish games they are not the same game at all. While SOBH is fun, quick, and a great game for conventions, Havoc is a beast!

I've only played 4 games so far but I find that I am constantly thinking about the tactics. It's definitely a solid purchase. I shouldn't have waited so long!

I don't understand..."LAF" ???
Are you saying: http://voodooink.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/havoc-free-terrain-offer/
is what your plyaing (Havoc)???

Thank you,
D.

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »
I don't understand..."LAF" ???

LAF = Lead Adventure Forum

Offline des loup

• Student
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 12:29:40 AM »
Are you saying: http://voodooink.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/havoc-free-terrain-offer/
is what your plyaing (Havoc)Huh?

Thank you,
D.

That's the one! I should have said Havoc: Tactical Miniature Warfare.

Offline Druthu

• Student
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 03:30:28 AM »
LAF = Lead Adventure Forum

/facepalm

Thanks des loup.