Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Online Scale Calculator  (Read 4105 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Online Scale Calculator
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
Hello,

I'm doing some scratchbuilding at the moment, and found myself having to convert full size measurements to scale ones. Being very lazy, this seemed like something the computer should be doing  :)

I'm sure such things are out there, but I couldn't find an online convertor, and I couldn't find an "app for that"  :) (although there were a few that were almost there)

Anyway, I've written my own very simple one, and who knows, it may be of use to others as well  :)

It's at http://scalecalculator.appspot.com/

The basic form looks quite ugly on a normal browser, but works

It's really designed for my iPhone, which is more likely to be beside me when I'm measuring

I have no access to Android or anything else, so I've no idea how it'll behave on those devices.

Usage is (hopefully) fairly obvious

- put in the measurement you know in the units you like.

- select the output scale and the units you want (I generally measure in inches, but convert to mm for the thing I'm building  ;D)

- press Calculate

It can also be used to convert between scales. For example, if you measure something on a 28mm figure (1:56), set the original scale to 56 and it will give you the corresponding measurement in the output scale you choose.

It's all server side, as I don't know javascript well enough to do it locally (if someone wants to do such a version, please do)

Anyway, hopefully it'll be of use to someone beside me

If you find any problems with it, or have any thoughts for improvements (nothing guaranteed :)), please let me know

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Online Scale Calculator
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
Hello,

I'm doing some scratchbuilding at the moment, and found myself having to convert full size measurements to scale ones. Being very lazy, this seemed like something the computer should be doing  :)

I'm sure such things are out there, but I couldn't find an online convertor, and I couldn't find an "app for that"  :) (although there were a few that were almost there)

Anyway, I've written my own very simple one, and who knows, it may be of use to others as well  :)

It's at http://scalecalculator.appspot.com/

The basic form looks quite ugly on a normal browser, but works

It's really designed for my iPhone, which is more likely to be beside me when I'm measuring

I have no access to Android or anything else, so I've no idea how it'll behave on those devices.

Usage is (hopefully) fairly obvious

- put in the measurement you know in the units you like.

- select the output scale and the units you want (I generally measure in inches, but convert to mm for the thing I'm building  ;D)

- press Calculate

It can also be used to convert between scales. For example, if you measure something on a 28mm figure (1:56), set the original scale to 56 and it will give you the corresponding measurement in the output scale you choose.

It's all server side, as I don't know javascript well enough to do it locally (if someone wants to do such a version, please do)

Anyway, hopefully it'll be of use to someone beside me

If you find any problems with it, or have any thoughts for improvements (nothing guaranteed :)), please let me know

Great! Can you get it to stir paint pots to?

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »
That'll be in the next release  :D

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »
Feature request - convert from "mm" scale to ratio scale.
So I have a character that's 34mm tall but supposed to represent 6', what scale is that when I go looking for model cars to match him.

That sorta thing.

This is excellent, by the way.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
@ Froggy, wasn't ignoring your request, was busy implementing it  :)

So, some changes for version 2

There are now two calculators - the original scale one, and one doing what Froggy suggested.

I've rounded the answers, rather than leaving them "raw". They're rounded to 3 decimal places, which is better than I can measure (1/1000 of a mm ;D)

Scale Size Calculator is at http://scalecalculator.appspot.com/scalecalc, while the new Figure Scale Calculator is at http://scalecalculator.appspot.com/figurescale

Scale Size Calculator screen shot - operation as before

Figure Scale calculator screen shot

Simply put in the scale size, the size the object should be in real life, select the appropriate units and click "Calculate". Scales are rounded and shown to nearest number.

Another addition is that I've added two cookies, one for each calculator, which save the units and values between visits.

@ Hammers - still working on the paint stirrer - next release  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Very interesting and lots of potential uses.

Thanks very much for doing this  :D

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
@Gluteus - thanks, you're welcome  :)

I've been thinking of a minor addition to the calculator, and thought I'd run it past the folks here.

Most of us talk about figure scale in terms of mm - 28mm figure, 6mm tank etc. What I'm thinking of adding is a drop down control with a list of the common scales. When you select one it populates the "Original scale" or "Output scale" controls with the appropriate scale value. This is optional, and you can still enter the value directly into the input box if you want.

The list I have so far is

So, I have a couple of questions I'd appreciate your thoughts about.

1. Are there any obvious mm/railway scales I've missed. I don't know anything about model railways, and most of the info was taken from Wikipedia

2. The scales don't always map as they're traditionally interpreted. What I mean by that is that 15mm is actually 1:122, but is commonly treated as 1:100. 6mm is 1:305, but everyone talks about 1:300. Should I use the actual value or the "popular" value when I fill in the list values? The value can be modified in the input box, so it doesn't matter too much, but it would be handy to know what people think.

The mapping list I have at the moment is

mm scalescale factor
54 mm1:34
32 mm1:57
28 mm1:65
25 mm1:73
20 mm1:91
15 mm1:122
10 mm1:183
6 mm1:300
OO/HO gauge1:87
N gauge1:60