Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:05:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stalagmites?  (Read 9557 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Stalagmites?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
Not sure if this is the look you are going for or not, but try styrofoam and acetate.

Years ago as a kid I played around with making underground scenes using white styrofoam, and bottles of white-out(much to my parents dismay, and my own grounding)

Now I use Acetone, or nail polish remover for a similar effect. Cut you styrofoam blocks to the overall shape you want, making the intial piece larger than where you want the finished piece to end. Then give a very very light coat of acetone, brushed over it.

The styrofoam, dissolves, leaving behind a very flowstone looking end result, without a whole lots of time needed.

Caveats

1. w/ the acetone a little goes a long way. Too much and it will eat away all the foam.

2. Make certain to do this in a very well ventilated area.

My two cents

hm, I have used that method before actually, tough I used revel glue for it and used it to make craters in asteroids. Oh and if you let a thin slip of foam get eaten entirely the result can be used as an "energy blade" of sorts. But as you say this should really be done in a well ventilated area, as the fumes are horrible.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)