Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terror at Twelve Hundred Feet, a Marvel Battle Report  (Read 4699 times)

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
Terror at Twelve Hundred Feet, a Marvel Battle Report
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:52:14 AM »

"Welcome to the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building. Wave to your friends and family inside the observation booth, this may be the last time you see them." Magneto, the Master of Magnetism, allowed the terror to sink into these men and women before continuing his soliloquy. "Whether you live or die this day depends on the Mutant Control Agency, depends on whether they concede to my demand for the release of Toad and Mystique from their internment center. I have no desire to kill you, much as I have no desire to kill a dog or a squirrel. But if such a creature gets in my way, if it is between swerving and risking my own life or running the beast over, I assure you, I will not falter."

Blob smiled. Silent but deadly.

Pyro frowned at him and then lit a match.

But neither dared to interrupt their leader's revolutionary fervor.

Oh my gawd! screamed the hysterical woman, It's the X-Men, were DOOMED! Cyclops sighed as the Blackbird's engine noise receded into the distance. He, Beast, Angel and Iceman had come to save these unfortunate people, not hurt them. When would they learn? When would they stop treating he and his fellow mutants as monsters? He pushed the thought out of his head and addressed his team: All right X-Men, we all know what Magneto is capable of. He won't hesitate to carry out his threat and toss these poor people to their deaths. But he also won't hesitate to kill us. So stay sharp and focused. Let's go!

Angel grabbed Cyclops beneath the armpits and carried him to high ground on the 108th floor. Magneto noticed the arrival of his arch-enemies and ended his soliloquy pre-maturely: I apolize, homo sapiens. My demands have not been met. Now you must die." The master of magnetism threw one of the hapless citizens two stories up. Miraculously, the businessman survived the attack. Magneto then rose into the air to intercept Cyclops, yelling behind him: Blob, you know what to do!"

"You bet I do," replied the Blob with a burp. He charged one of the women and broke her jaw, knocking her out cold.

Iceman, intending to join his companions on the high ground, now altered his course in an attempt to protect the innocents from Blob's brutal attacks.

Pyro began scaling the wall in an attempt to join his leader.

Cyclops stood ready as Magneto rose into view. Then he let loose an optic blast. The force beam split around Magneto's force field.

Pyro climbed up onto the 104th floor and activated a teleportion device. A moment later he was beside Angel, roasting his feathers with living flame.

Angel tried to ignore the pain and kicked at Magneto, who deflected the attack as if the flying millionaire was a mere gnat. Magneto's counter attack twisted Angel into an agonizing ball.

Beast found a temporal anamoly that allowed him to move Icemen up in order to protect the businessman.

But no one could stop Blob from continuing his charge of cruelty. He broke the nose of another man, smashing him backward into a young mother, knocking them both out cold.

Pyro finished off Angel, immolating both him and Cyclops in living flame. Then Magneto drew Cyclops into the air and threw him off the edge. Cyclops landed back on the ledge of the 102nd floor, barely conscious.

Iceman tried to freeze Blob, but the human whale's blubber insulated him from the sudden drop in temperature.

With one man down and one barely conscious, things were looking grim for the X-Men.

Blob put Cyclops out of his misery with a haymaker.

Iceman responded with another deep freeze, this time encasing Blob in a block of ice! The blubbery brick managed to break free, though still suffered frostbite.

Magneto blasted Iceman from extreme height advantage, knocking him out cold.

Only Beast was left to hold off the entire force of evil mutants.

Pyro began to climb down the ladder to help Blob.

Impatient, Magneto tried to hurl Pyro into position but, fearing for his life, Pyro managed to resist the telekinetic attack.

Meanwhile, Beast began to befuddle Blob, reciting passages from Shakespear while beating him with a flurry of punches and kicks. Blob's burly body barely felt the physical assault, but his mind was perplexed by the verbal one.

Beast continued to befuddle Blob with his thespian talent while Magneto, impatient with both the X-Men and his own evil Mutants, finally succeeded in flinging Pyro off the edge. His plan was to land Pyro next to Beast where the master of living flame could then immolate the blue furball. Unfortunately, Magneto overestimated Pyro's constition. The fall broke every bone in his body.

After ending his famous "to be or not to be" speech from Hamlet, Beast kicked Blob in the nuts, incapaciting the mutant in the one place he was small.

Magneto flew down to the 104th floor where he could better see Beast and tried to twist him with magnetic force from extreme height.

But Beast stealth lept out of Magneto's line of fire, sommersaulting behind him.

Meanwhile, under the urging of a girl named Mary Jane, the rest of the civilians began to rush up the ladder to help the Beast.

Beast began to try and reason with Magneto, hoping to talk him out of killing all these innocent people.

Very well, then I will kill you!" replied the Master of Magnetism, twisting beast with telekenetic force.

Beast partially climbed the wall in order to gain a height advantage on the Master of Magnetism, only to get socked in the jaw by the businessman! Turns out, he was a mutie-hater!

Beast won initiative, but Magneto remained confident. Even with one wound, how could this verbose blue creature actually threaten him?

By rolling all skulls, that's how! Beast grabbed Magneto's helmet with his feet and twisted. The metal cracked and the Master of Magnetism was suddenly vulnerable to Charles Xavier's mental attacks. Enhanced by Cerebro, he sent an ego attack all the way from his mansion, and sent Magneto into dreamland.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Terror at Twelve Hundred Feet, a Marvel Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:48:59 AM »
Although I'm not an X-men fan, that's a pretty cool looking game. Heroscape?

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »
That's a pretty cool looking setup! Also, is that a repainted vulture masquerading as Angel that I spy?

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »
Looks like a really fun game, nice battle report and nice terrain,

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »
Fun looking game you had there!

Where is that terrain from?

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
You guessed it, Hat Guy, Heroscape rules and terrain.

And good eye Myincubliss, it is indeed an Infinity Challenge Vulture re-painted (poorly) as Angel. I did it before there were any Heroclix figures for Angel. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of the new Giant Sized X-Men versions.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the report. I got over confident playing Magneto and let that game get away from me. Now my eight year old son has beaten me two out of three in superhero Heroscape. I need to get serious next time and show him who's boss. ;)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
You have to wonder why the Heroes keep trying to rescue the people who hate them.   ???

I will stop there.  The application that just came to mind seems way too potentially politically laden. :o

Extremely nice set-up and tense game.  The "All Skulls" role set up a Deus Ex Machina (spelling?) like move, awesome!  I know near zip about X-Men so I assume the Xavier Character can "reach out and touch someone" over long distances with power or was it just because the Cerebro Character boosted his power somehow?  Wow, good thing he/they are "white hats"!  Well, I assume they are "good guys" because I am (hope this is right) aware that "magnet-guy" (Magneto?) is some kind of "black hat" in the original comics?  All I know is from the trailers for the movies I never watched.

Much more satisfying than Superman and the Kryptonite Color of the Weak...  Week... from when I as a kid.

I assume you don't have the normal humans start to die immediately despite the threat because of the age of some of the players?  I was really dreading Toad (great bad guy name) might actually start killing the hostages.  Too much still in "work mode" when I originally read it I guess.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »
The "All Skulls" role set up a Deus Ex Machina (spelling?) like move, awesome!  I know near zip about X-Men so I assume the Xavier Character can "reach out and touch someone" over long distances with power or was it just because the Cerebro Character boosted his power somehow?  Wow, good thing he/they are "white hats"!  Well, I assume they are "good guys" because I am (hope this is right) aware that "magnet-guy" (Magneto?) is some kind of "black hat" in the original comics?  All I know is from the trailers for the movies I never watched.

Yeah, the Charles Xavier deus ex machina was poetic license...in terms of game mechanics, Beast got lucky and destroyed Magneto. But Magneto's a really powerful supervillain so I explained it away in a more comics-canon style of Xavier blasting him from miles away.

I assume you don't have the normal humans start to die immediately despite the threat because of the age of some of the players?  I was really dreading Toad (great bad guy name) might actually start killing the hostages.

I did send Blob out to kill hostages right away, but I described him as "knocking out" the hostages instead of killing them for exactly the reason you mention.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:16:43 AM »
Wow, old school figures (Infinity Chalenge, X-plosion).

I want to get some of the castle parts now to do the same sort of thing, but I would probably play with Heroclix rules on the Heroscape terrain.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
Wow, old school figures (Infinity Chalenge, X-plosion).

I want to get some of the castle parts now to do the same sort of thing, but I would probably play with Heroclix rules on the Heroscape terrain.

That should definitely work. Take a look at Auggies Games. He sells the terrain pieces seperately and has a pretty low fixed shipping cost (though it might be higher to Canada). He only lists what he's currently got in stock so he'll have a lot when he gets an order in and then it will slowly dwindle.

You might do better to buy the castle sets somewhere else as complete boxes, since they're nothing but terrain, anyway, but the other sets might be less expensive to just buy the terrain.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
There is a Marvel Heroscape that had some nice figures and a ruined building.  Usually pretty cheap too.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:04:44 PM by wellender »

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
There is a Marvel Heroscape that had some nice figures and a ruined building.  Usually pretty cheap too.  
Got two of he Marvel starters, as well as two of the Valkyrie starter, and one of the starters that came with the large zombie-ish thing and the zombie dog things. All were bought on sale.

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
That's a good amount of terrain! You oughta be able to make some nice battle maps with that.