Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "The Fight for Ward's Crossing". Sharp Practice battle report- Full report...  (Read 28903 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Coon skin hats were all the rage in those days lol lol

Offline timg

• Scientist
Nope he insisted on being called David. He aspired to a gentleman planters lifestyle, regrettably it was not to be.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
"David, David Crockett, King of the wild frontier...."

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I am sure it wasn' the real Davy Crockett, perhaps it was just someone who looked like him ;) lol

I don't look like Billy Bob Thornton, do I  ???

;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
In the rule the group in the open may move towards cover at 1D6 inch per turn if they stand in the open like you say.  So they fire and withdraw towards cover.  This seems covered to me.

This rule may apply if the unit has lost their bottle, but no movement is usually allowed by infantry Groups activating on the Tiffin.

Unfortunately that's the luck of the draw - a mad dash without cover may well prove disastrous if your Big Man looses his head when the lead starts flying.

My suggestions are to pile on the Big Men when such an "assault" is necessary. Most Groups will fire perfectly well on their own, without any supervision.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
This rule may apply if the unit has lost their bottle, but no movement is usually allowed by infantry Groups activating on the Tiffin.

Unfortunately that's the luck of the draw - a mad dash without cover may well prove disastrous if your Big Man looses his head when the lead starts flying.

My suggestions are to pile on the Big Men when such an "assault" is necessary. Most Groups will fire perfectly well on their own, without any supervision.

I think the problem was not the officer losing his head. The unit was simply moving forward from one area of cover towards another. They moved about 6 inches then did not have a movement card drawn from the deck for seven turns. So they just sat in the open being fired upon for the whole time. It didnt feel right and we think they should perhaps have been allowed a free movemnt on the Tiffin card to at least retreat to cover.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Vindis

• Schoolboy
A large barvo! it is superb. :-*

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
If I recall correctly, the rules say a unit may not *advance* on the Tiffin card, so I assume the unit may retreat.

=====================

I think the problem was not the officer losing his head. The unit was simply moving forward from one area of cover towards another. They moved about 6 inches then did not have a movement card drawn from the deck for seven turns. So they just sat in the open being fired upon for the whole time. It didnt feel right and we think they should perhaps have been allowed a free movemnt on the Tiffin card to at least retreat to cover.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Rules are fine, but I say go in the order of common since. Even the most disciplined of units will start to feel a pang of hesitation while standing in the open while guys 80 meters way level shots at them.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
I think the problem was not the officer losing his head.

In game terms he didn't "loose his head", but it could be rationalized as the officer lacking the pluck to urge his men forward or a general lackluster attempt by the men to close the ground. In the scheme of things although the Group made only a single move to cross the ground originally and then just stood there, I think it represents their move as a whole - meaning they moved slowly and came under fire a lot because of that. I hope that made sense.  :)

If I recall correctly, the rules say a unit may not *advance* on the Tiffin card, so I assume the unit may retreat.

This rule is for a unit that looses it's bottle and are as follows: -
If an infantry Group has more Shock points than men remaining it may retire as normal but it may not advance. On the Tiffin card the Group will waver and fall back, whatever else it has done during the turn, retiring 1” for each point of Shock over and above the number of men for elite troops, 2” for good, 3” for Regular and 4” for poor. The Group may still fire, representing ragged firing as it falls back.

So generally only after loosing their bottle will a Group move on the Tiffin and then it is to only retreat to cover.

Regardless it is your game and should be played how you see fit.  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: "The Fight for Ward's Crossing". Sharp Practice battle report- Full report.
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2011, 06:44:09 AM »
Ah... Rules...    ::)
You see now why I prefer the sort which you can get on two sides of A4  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: "The Fight for Ward's Crossing". Sharp Practice battle report- Full report.
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
You see now why I prefer the sort which you can get on two sides of A4  ;)

And thus the good Captain's trepidation at seeing my three bound volumes!!   :D

Anyways, back to Malamute's AAR.

In scenario 3 of the game, a defining moment was the Texian horse galloping through the alleyways to take on the Mexican light infantry.  Cavalry versus lights = no contest...... except when the cavalry are shot up before they are able to engage.  Ho hum.  Not a happy moment for the Texian commanders as, holding out on the rooftops, they watched the dregs of their only offensive capabaility depart northwards.  :'(