Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:02:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Gift for the Kaiser  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A Gift for the Kaiser
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:34:14 AM »
Hi Folks, I just wanted to share this story with you. Steve Becker who is known for his knowledge of all things WW1 etc shared this story on the GW forum and I thought I'd share it here for you too as it just oozes for a scenario:

There is the story of the local leader near Tripoli after one arms shipment giving as a gift a Camel to the German Kaiser which the U Boat skipper had to take back to Pola, there base in Austria/Croatia.

His trying to get a camel in a sub and cross the Med under Allied control is a story in itself.

Central Powers aid to the Senussi, and the carriage of the camel in a U-boat, forms part of the plot in the excellent Great War novel A Sailor of Austria by John Biggins. (Note: I've all of his novels on our interpid Austro-Hungarian Naval (avaitor) hero)

"Has any heard of the story of the underwater Camel?

This story is true and the names have not been changed.

During the War, Germany continued to supply Arms and Stores to the Senussi Tribes then in rebellion against the Egyptian and Allied Governments.

To carry these stores two German U boats were converted from Mine Laying to cargo boats. These were UC 20 and UC 73.

They carried supplies threw out the war and the last run to Libya was made in October 1918.

During a mission in June 1918, UC 20 under command of Oblt Heinrich Kukat delivered arms to the Arabs at Misrata East of Tripoli.

The Arab Sheik wanted to return the gift but what could he give them. His daughter? No he gave the Germans a greater prize, one of his best Camels.

Now the U Boat Captain was a Prussian Officer and a Gift to him was a Gift to the German Crown so he felt he had to take the camel. But how could he get this beast back to his homeport of Pola in Austria.

The camel was too big to fit in a U Boat and he couldn't carry it on the deck, as he would need to submerge to escape allied patrols. Also there was no dock to get the animal on the boat.

The answer was to tie a rope around the Camels neck and pull the animal out into the water where the sub could submerge under the camel to get it on the deck.

This rope was as long as the U Boat at Periscope depth so if the U boat had to submerge and the camels head would be all that a plane or ship could see.

And this is how the U boat brought the camel to Pola by running on the surface at night while during the day underwater with the camel swimming along.

The U Boat could only move slowly but the camel was not use to swimming either."

and:

"This a true story.

In fact the Germans brought back three camels over their time carrying supplies to the Arabs.

UC 20 and one by UC 73 brought two back.

What happen to them in Germany is not told.

The story of this one, is in the book by Ernst Hashagen "U Boats Westwarts! Meine Fahrten um England" published in Germany 1931.

The rest is in the Patrol logs of the U boats who carried out the missions.

I should add that Australian and British Camel Corps Patrols, Based at Sollum and Matruth carried out long range patrols to Bardia and Tripoli during the war to stop these missions.

I am not aware of any that found or stopped any German arms shipment.

But the area covered by the North African Coast line is long and the troops involved in stopping them was very small".

So folks I hope to see a scenario on this at some point maybe Poly might volunteer! :)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »
Outlandish! Madness! Balderdash! No one would believe it!

Sign me up.

Nice one, Helen. If you keep finding real stuff even more daft than the nonsense I make up, you'll put me out of a job. (Just need to get me a 28mm camel.)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
great story, Helen! thanks for sharing :)

Plynkes, Ebob has a nice camel.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »
What a horrible story! Poor camel. I have the pefect miniature for it.

It reminds me of the old kiddy joke: How do you fit four elephants into a VW Bug?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:26:02 AM »
Now THAT was a new one! Hilarious!  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »
I must own I have never heard of these John Biggins books before today. They seem like just my kind of thing.

Looking on Amazon I see there are several. Does anyone know the correct order to read them in? I'd like to start with the first one.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 02:34:03 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I must own I have never heard of these John Biggins books before today. They seem like just my kind of thing.

Looking on Amazon I see there are several. Does anyone know the correct order to read them in? I'd like to start with the first one.

Hi Poly there are four books. The author is always referring back to his exploits in another adventure so you can start anywhere, moveover, here are the list of the books:

A Sailor from Austria;
The Two-Headed Eagle;
The Emperor's Coloured Coat; and
Tomorrow the World.

It covers everything from headhunters in New Guinea (landing party action), Tsingtau siege, an agent for the emperor, avaitor (flying bombing missions over the Italian front) and Captain of a U-Boat etc.

Tomorrow the World cost me a small fortune to purchase and I hope you do better when you purchase yours.

Happy Reading :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 09:42:57 AM »
Thanks, Helen. I'm looking forward to getting these.

Amazon.co.uk has "Tomorrow the World" for £5.67. Looks like I'm in luck.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 11:00:08 AM »
That sounds like an epochemachendes adventure-sheme!

To add on this: In Sinsheim there is one of the largest technical museums in Germany (amongst other items 3 Ju 52, 3 Vampires, a Concorde, a Tupolew 144...). Inside, they have a U-Boat Motor from a german WW1-U-Boat, a really huge beast. This particular sub operated from Pola (don't know it's number, but might have been one of the cameltransporters). The motor reached South America after the war and was used to dirve the pumps in a mine somewhere in the Andes (!). This could be a pulp-scenario, shipping the motor block on a tramp steamer from Pola to Ansuncion or Valparaiso, then up coast, then through man-eating indian infested jungle to the mine.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
I've just ordered the first of the books via abebooks.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 04:50:51 AM »
Hi Folks, here is a photo of my books:

[/img]

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 05:22:27 AM »
Just took a quick peak at my local public library's catalogue - looks like they have three of the four Biggins books.  I think I will be adding these to my future reading list!  Thanks, Helen!

W

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:59:18 PM »
I have now acquired the full set in paperback. Three were birthday presents from skillful relatives who have a knack for picking up dropped hints. Bought the other one myself, came all the way from the United States for less than a tenner. Started on "A Sailor of Austria" tonight. Having read the first chapter I am already hooked.

Nice to see the land of my fathers shoe-horned in as the place where the geriatric Otto has come to end his years.

So thanks again, Helen. Don't know I how managed to get this far not encountering these books. You do a great job keeping us informed of this sort of stuff.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A Gift for the Kaiser
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 12:12:35 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I have now acquired the full set in paperback. Three were birthday presents from skillful relatives who have a knack for picking up dropped hints. Bought the other one myself, came all the way from the United States for less than a tenner. Started on "A Sailor of Austria" tonight. Having read the first chapter I am already hooked.

Nice to see the land of my fathers shoe-horned in as the place where the geriatric Otto has come to end his years.

So thanks again, Helen. Don't know I how managed to get this far not encountering these books. You do a great job keeping us informed of this sort of stuff.

Hi Poly,

You are most welcome indeed :)

How I came upon this author and the adventures of Otto was by a deceased friend named Tony White who owned a number of bookshops here in Australia called "Napoleons Military Bookshops" who loaned me his book on "A Sailor of Austria" and I was hooked from then on!

Enjoy the interpid adventures of Otto! 8)