Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 04/25/24 Mushroom & Mini-Me Mushroom Done!  (Read 1167283 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 11/01/15: Rapunzel's Garden & Stuff
« Reply #2910 on: November 02, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »
DeafNala, the work you've done is really inspirational. I've always loved the faerie worlds of Rackham/Bauer/Dulac/Froud and you've managed to create it with your sculpts. The only thing I wish is that your sculpts were commercially available--not sure what kind of games I'd use them for, but I'd find something!

I'm more than a little daunted by the page count on this thread--so would you mind saying again what you use these creations for? Fantasy, obviously, but more specifically?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Daryl

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2911 on: November 02, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »
DeafNala, the work you've done is really inspirational. I've always loved the faerie worlds of Rackham/Bauer/Dulac/Froud and you've managed to create it with your sculpts. The only thing I wish is that your sculpts were commercially available--not sure what kind of games I'd use them for, but I'd find something!

I'm more than a little daunted by the page count on this thread--so would you mind saying again what you use these creations for? Fantasy, obviously, but more specifically?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Daryl

Thanks for the reply, Daryl. It's always an up feeling when Folks enjoy my creation enough to comment.
A couple of the folks on a this & another Forum have some Mushrooms they'd like to have cast commercially, but, as yet, nothing has come of it. Of course I do make one off pieces that I give away or trade.
The first Band of Miscreants I posted were Wastrel's Ubergoblins & regular Goblins for Mordheim. I never actually got to play Mordheim SO, while I base my pieces for the most part to be used in a game, it's for no game in particular. It's been decades since my last war game or RPG.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 11/01/15: Rapunzel's Garden & Stuff
« Reply #2912 on: November 02, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
Art for art's sake. ;)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2913 on: November 02, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »
Thanks, Too Bo Coo! I'm glad you are enjoying it. If you need any how to info, give a holler.

You are as always a true gentleman! 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2914 on: November 02, 2015, 10:45:40 PM »
Oh wow! I just caught up with the goblin village! :o Your ideas are soo  unique! Great stuff. A total inspiration for us all to aspire to!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2915 on: November 02, 2015, 11:29:03 PM »
Art for art's sake. ;)

I like that, but to be truthful, it's that I've been doing all this for more than half a century. SO it's more force of habit than Ars Gratia Artis.

You are as always a true gentleman! 

Thanks. It seems when I was getting started in the painting thing & for a lot of years thereafter, the Guys who really knew their stuff were all determined to take their secrets to the grave. I always thought that attitude sucked; ergo I'm into passing it along.

Oh wow! I just caught up with the goblin village! :o Your ideas are soo  unique! Great stuff. A total inspiration for us all to aspire to!

Thanks for the kind reply, Andym! I've had a lot of inspiration myself; giving back is a privilege...actually inspiring someone is THE ULTIMATE achievement in my opinion. All that aside, I'm delighted that you are enjoying the stuff.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 11/11/15: DAS Tree
« Reply #2916 on: November 11, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »
I've been thinking of adding to The Spooky Woods. SO I'm experimenting with DAS, air dry clay, for the bark. You might say this DAS Tree:

...there you go. That, by the way, is the natural color of the clay...no paint  yet.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 11/11/15: DAS Tree & An Elf
« Reply #2917 on: November 11, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
I had this Pointy Eared Dandy sitting in his blister for a LONG time. The blister finally parted ways with the card backing & the separate arm disappeared into that part of the Ethereal Plane normally reserved for missing socks...not pairs of socks mind, but only singles. WELL I couldn't have that; SO I ordered just the missing arm &, once it arrived, I assembled, based, & primed the Adventuring Now-With-All-Pieces-Present Elf. He then sat for another prolonged session in Limbo until the recent spurt of energy motivated me to finish him.

NOW without further ado, The Elf About Town:

...untrustworthy looking at best, but there you have him.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:51:39 PM by DeafNala »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2918 on: November 11, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
That tree looks cracking Deafnala! :-* can I suggest maybe using green stuff for the smaller branches? The DAS might be too fragile.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2919 on: November 11, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
That tree looks cracking Deafnala! :-* can I suggest maybe using green stuff for the smaller branches? The DAS might be too fragile.

Thanks for the reply & the suggestion, Andym! You're right about the DAS...it's tough enough on the bark, but I can see it cracking off on the twigs. I have the thinner branches covered in roughed up hot glue. If that doesn't look okay painted, I'll go with the Green Stuff.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #2920 on: November 11, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »
Looks great, DeafNala! Is the clay heavy compared to greenstuff when it's dry?

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2921 on: November 12, 2015, 12:15:30 AM »
Looks great, DeafNala! Is the clay heavy compared to greenstuff when it's dry?

Thanks for the reply, kaiser! I have yet to do the bark in Green Stuff, but I think the weights would be similar. The Green Stuff is definitely more pliable. I usually do the bark in plumber's epoxy putty; the DAS feels like it is about half the weight.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 11/11/15: DAS Tree & An Elf
« Reply #2922 on: November 12, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
It's "der" not "das" baum (tree)... *groan*

Lovely start on it, and nice elf.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2923 on: November 12, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
Nice tree, Al.
 8)

I made some tree men years ago out of DAS and it is certainly much more difficult to work with than GS.
It does work well with developing a rougher texture, though.

I would certainly go with Andy's suggestion of GS for the thinner branches for the simple reason that DAS is very brittle when it is thin and will most likely keep breaking even with light handling.
It is really fragile.
 ;)

Nice pointy-eared fella too.
Especially with both arms being in effect.
 :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2924 on: November 12, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »
It's "der" not "das" baum (tree)... *groan*

Lovely start on it, and nice elf.

Thanks, von Lucky...glad you like the flora & fauna!
I was thinking of Das Boot. Doing creative things with another language is easier if you don't actually speak it.

Nice tree, Al.
 8)

I made some tree men years ago out of DAS and it is certainly much more difficult to work with than GS.
It does work well with developing a rougher texture, though.

I would certainly go with Andy's suggestion of GS for the thinner branches for the simple reason that DAS is very brittle when it is thin and will most likely keep breaking even with light handling.
It is really fragile.
 ;)

Nice pointy-eared fella too.
Especially with both arms being in effect.
 :-*

Thanks, Paul. The branches will either be in roughed up hot glue or Green Stuff. There are a lot of possible uses for the DAS, however; I may try a tower; AND there are a couple of Mushroom Housing thingies in the works.

There is some debate as to whether The Elf is cowering behind the Mushrooms & firing away with some ranged magic OR whether the very Mushroom have risen to protect him. It's a matter of perspective I suppose. In any case, he & I are happy you like him.