Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 04/25/24 Mushroom & Mini-Me Mushroom Done!  (Read 1168191 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
As always, brilliant work!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 07/05/16: Mother Pringle's Amulets etc.
« Reply #3556 on: July 06, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
Do keep up the use of bold colours, please. It is one of the aspects of the project that gives it its character, and entirely appropriate given the quantity of mushrooms involved.

I envy your imaginative stamina to keep on coming up with new characters and vistas that are totally in keeping with your world yet give it a fresh twist. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thanks for the kind comment, LordBrentLake. The encouragement I receive here is a major factor in my continuing enthusiasm for The Project.
Bright colors are my thing, AND they do seem appropriate for a Fantasy setting...I'm glad you like them.

I dug Temerity O'Leery's Tower out of a corner of the Vault. That may soon see a place in The Blight.

As always, brilliant work!

Thanks for the reply, Too Bo Coo! I'm happy you are enjoying the stuff!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3557 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:22 PM »
Wonderful!
 :-* :-*

It is great to finally see this area getting the DefNaColor treatment.
 8) 8)

I am really looking forward to you working your magic on the mechanical mushroom thingy.
 :D

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3558 on: July 07, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »
Wonderful!
 :-* :-*

It is great to finally see this area getting the DefNaColor treatment.
 8) 8)

I am really looking forward to you working your magic on the mechanical mushroom thingy.

Thanks for the kind reply, Paul. It's rather a relief seeing the board & most of the buildings in color.
I have the Steam Observatory underway. It's an awkward, complex piece; as such, it's coming along painfully slowly. After that, the Tower is the last piece. It will probably be easier to do than the Observatory; i.e., it's only complication is its size.
What I'm looking forward to is adding all the details, AND then the photos with all the Goblins cluttering the scene.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
SO, after much agonizing over colors & such, I finally have the Steam Punk Observatory underway:

This one of those awkward, fiddly detailed pieces that take forever to paint. I hope that posting photos will keep me going...maybe.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Nailing it. The choice of blue is perfect.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Oh, yabba dabba doo!
I have been waiting for this one.

A nice start.
 8)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Nailing it. The choice of blue is perfect.

Thanks, von Lucky. I was originally thinking red, but the blue looks the part, AND offers the possibility of doing a star field over the top panels.
I'm glad you like it.

Oh, yabba dabba doo!
I have been waiting for this one.

A nice start.
 8)

Thanks, Paul. I was torn between looking forward to the painting, & dreading it. The thingy is awkward to work on, but has been fun thus far.
I hope you like the final results. Just finishing it will be a highlight for moi.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
It will take a while, but you're doing it justice so far. I really like the idea of doing a star field in the roof... maybe even a fade to a darker blue?

(but then it turns out that's no star field, that's only pigeon droppings lol )

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
It will take a while, but you're doing it justice so far. I really like the idea of doing a star field in the roof... maybe even a fade to a darker blue?

(but then it turns out that's no star field, that's only pigeon droppings lol )

...but very creative pigeons.
Thanks, Fram. I'm glad you like it so far. I'm plodding along between innings.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
offers the possibility of doing a star field over the top panels.

Was thinking this too, but didn't suggest it as I didn't think it'd fit the look. Fram has an (elegant!) solution though. I think the main reason I like it is that the blue stands out to the other colours you mainly use. The architectural style is different, so there's no point hidding it using the same colour palette.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I don't know how feasible it would be to have the colour fade to a brighter blue on the bottom and a darker navy on top, then do the star field on top over that. I know it seems counter-intuitive, since usually the raised areas are what gets the brighter colour, but I think the reverse would work with the starfield. It would certainly look very striking!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Was thinking this too, but didn't suggest it as I didn't think it'd fit the look. Fram has an (elegant!) solution though. I think the main reason I like it is that the blue stands out to the other colours you mainly use. The architectural style is different, so there's no point hidding it using the same colour palette.

The Star Field is one of the themes that has run through my Night & Above Ground Goblins for quite awhile:

...SO it seemed natural decoration, although an addition bit of detailing work, for the Observatory.

I don't know how feasible it would be to have the colour fade to a brighter blue on the bottom and a darker navy on top, then do the star field on top over that. I know it seems counter-intuitive, since usually the raised areas are what gets the brighter colour, but I think the reverse would work with the starfield. It would certainly look very striking!

It is an idea that occurred to moi also. The lighter blue at the bottom would look good. If I could pull it off a red to purple to blue dawn effect rising to the dark blue star studded top would really be dramatic...I doubt I could pull it off though. Since I keep having to touch up the blue, the lighter blue bottom might be given a try.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I wasn't going to post anymore photos of The Observatory, but one of the Fellows from the Reaper Forum needed to see further W.I.P.. SO:

...there you go. All the base colors are on plus some highlight is done.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 07/11/16: Steam Punk Observatory DONE!
« Reply #3569 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:26 AM »
In what passes with moi for a burst of productivity, I finished The Steam Punk Observatory...seen here in all its gaudy grandeur:

AND The Board to date:

...next thingy to be done, The Twisted Tower Itself.