Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 04/25/24 Mushroom & Mini-Me Mushroom Done!  (Read 1168417 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 07/18/16: The Twisted Tower Is Done!
« Reply #3600 on: July 20, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
rather like the effect clowns have on some folk.

This reminds me of the early history of the Toronto Police:

History
1834 creation to 1859 reforms

The Toronto Police Service was founded in 1834 when the city of Toronto was first created from the town of York. (Prior to that, local able-bodied male citizens were required to report for night duty as special constables for a fixed number of nights a year on the pain of fine or imprisonment in a system known as "watch and ward".)[6]

The Toronto Police is one of the English-speaking world’s oldest modern municipal police departments; older than, for example, the New York City Police Department which was formed in 1845 or the Boston Police Department which was established in 1839. The London Metropolitan Police of 1829 is generally recognized as the first modern municipal department. In 1835, Toronto retained five full-time constables—a ratio of about one officer for every 1,850 citizens. Their daily pay was set at 5 shillings for day duty and 7 shillings, 6 pence, for night duty. In 1837 the constables’ annual pay was fixed at £75 per annum, a lucrative city position when compared to the mayor’s annual pay of £250 at the time.[7]

From 1834 to 1859, the Toronto Police was a corrupt and notoriously political force with its constables loyal to the local aldermen who personally appointed police officers in their own wards for the duration of their incumbency. Toronto constables on numerous occasions suppressed opposition candidate meetings and took sides during bitter sectarian violence between Orange Order and Irish Catholic radical factions in the city. A provincial government report in 1841 described the Toronto Police as "formidable engines of oppression". Although constables were issued uniforms in 1837, one contemporary recalled that the Toronto Police was "without uniformity, except in one respect—they were uniformly slovenly." After an excessive outbreak of street violence involving Toronto Police misconduct, including an episode where constables brawled with Toronto's firemen in one incident, and stood by doing nothing in another incident while enraged firemen burned down a visiting circus when its clowns jumped a lineup at a local brothel, the entire Toronto Police force, along with its chief, were fired in 1859.[6]

I feel like if you swapped humans for various types of non-humans, "policemen" for "watchmen", and orangemen vs catholics for flowers vs mushrooms (or would that be mushrooms vs flowers?), this sort of goings-on wouldn't be out of place in one of Nala's slums.  lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:21:45 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 07/18/16: The Twisted Tower Is Done!
« Reply #3601 on: July 20, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
There is a healthy tradition of mistrust for both police forces & standing military formations as tools of oppression. I think my slums rely more on the criminal element for honest protection.
Thanks for the background history, Fram. I enjoy that sort of thing.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 07/25/16: The Twisted Tower: MORE Photos
« Reply #3602 on: July 25, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
SO I took a bunch of photos of the place with all the Dark Hold Goblins wandering around.  I was thinking of putting them in Tom's Gallery & then figured I'd inflict them on you here instead:

An over view of the place...love these dizzying heights photos:

...now from the top of The Tower to the madness below:

...The Recreational Potion Vat:

...the Recreational Potion Control Crew at Mom Pringle's:

...Mom Pringle:

...Demon Rum:

...Crazy Mary:

...The Philosopher:

...Crime Element:

...The All Seeing Ivy:

...by The Gate:

...The Bold Goblin Adventures go forth...probably an errand for Rapunzel:

...there you have it!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #3603 on: July 25, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »
Magnificent!

And these photos turned out very nice indeed. Tell the truth, I think your camera has been very cooperative and has been for a long time now (insofar as I can tell).

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3604 on: July 25, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
Magnificent!

And these photos turned out very nice indeed. Tell the truth, I think your camera has been very cooperative and has been for a long time now (insofar as I can tell).

Thanks for the morale boost, Fram.
The Camera has been doing rather well lately. Finding the correct light setting for Her & providing the right light seem to be dong the trick. The occasion flub is when I get the lighting wrong.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3605 on: July 26, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
Top job! photos are great, and the overview, top to bottom really shows the atmosphere of brilliantly.

Twisted colourful and imaginative fun!

Really great to see your imagination given form, and what you do with it :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Beautiful, as usual. (And in this heat!)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #3607 on: July 26, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
Love it, epecially the roof of the wizards observatory.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3608 on: July 26, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »
Amazing work, Al.
I love all the little details and the greenery at the base of the tower really sets it off nicely.
Long may this project continue!
 :-* :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3609 on: July 26, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »
Top job! photos are great, and the overview, top to bottom really shows the atmosphere of brilliantly.

Twisted colourful and imaginative fun!

Really great to see your imagination given form, and what you do with it :)

Thanks for the very kind reply, Tactalvanic! I'm happy you've enjoyed The Project thus far.
Old Guys do tend to get strange as the years go by; getting strange in a fun way is my aim.

Beautiful, as usual. (And in this heat!)

Thanks once more for the morale boost, von Lucky.
We had some rain last night & possibly into today. SO the temperature is now in the balmy, although steamy, high 90s. Staying close to the A/C by the work table adds to the productivity.

Love it, epecially the roof of the wizards observatory.

Thanks, weismonster...glad you like it.
When I finally decided on the dark blue, the star field popped into my head. Some Folks have a Muse that whispers in their ear. Mine smacks me up alongside my head.

Amazing work, Al.
I love all the little details and the greenery at the base of the tower really sets it off nicely.
Long may this project continue!
 :-* :-*

Thanks, Paul. Having the details noticed is a BIG plus. Folks that do notice tend to return for a second look.
I'm hoping to continue with The Project for the rest of my life. If that is a long time, I'll just have to accept it...some fist pumps may be in the cards here.

I started on a Swamp Hovel. It may or may not be part of a diorama. I could be the start of another area to explore. I've also been thinking about doing some conversion stuff with the Horde of Old G.W. plastic Night & Day Goblins. The ideas are whirring around my brain like a gyroscope on steroids.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #3610 on: July 26, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
The ideas are whirring around my brain like a gyroscope on steroids.

I'm imagining an unstable orrery.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3611 on: July 26, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »
I'm imagining an unstable orrery.

...that is pretty close.

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3612 on: July 26, 2016, 10:30:55 PM »
Been away from LAF for a few weeks, come back to no less than thirteen pages of this thread to catch up on! Stunning work. The steampunk observatory is a thing of beauty.
Love it!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3613 on: July 26, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
Been away from LAF for a few weeks, come back to no less than thirteen pages of this thread to catch up on! Stunning work. The steampunk observatory is a thing of beauty.
Love it!

WELCOME BACK, Thew1!
Thanks for the kind reply. I'm glad you weren't disappointed.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 07/29/16: Swamp Thing
« Reply #3614 on: July 29, 2016, 06:21:17 PM »
SO with Rapunzel's digs finally finished, I started puttering around with the Swamp Thing. Whether it will be a gaming board or a diorama is yet to be decided. Either way it fits with The Project.
Early in the week I started the Witch's Hovel &  built & primed the dock & base:

Yesterday saw the roof, smokestack, & doors sans detailing added. AND the Beasty has been primed. I playing around with the tress & positioning. I'd like it to fit in the display case if I do it as a diorama...of corse, they make a longer case as well is I go nuts...nuttier:

...it wouldn't be a proper Witch's place without an eye peering from a rat hole:

Today I added the window trim; ergo more photos will be forthcoming...sometime or other.