Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 03/26/24 The Twisted Tower photo stage update  (Read 1148698 times)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 05/21/13: Spooky Woods #1 Mostly Done
« Reply #1125 on: May 22, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
DeafNala,  :o  :-* that ent like tree is fantastic, the branches are so grotesque and distorted. The whole thing eminates 'spooky'

Are you going to put in large mutant spiders or faye spirits? Perhaps they are scared of the mushrooms!  lol hahaha

I am really unsure how anyone would 'play' on this board of yours, it is more of a diorama than a playable surface. Does every player have to take a fear test each turn? Is every step dangerous terrain?

"you broke your leg on a tree root that wasnt there before"
"you died walking through a cloud of mushroom spores"
"A mushroom landed on your head, and ate your face off"

Have you had a game on parts of it so far? If so could you post or link a few 'in game' pictures?

Cheers
Matt

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1126 on: May 22, 2013, 04:47:48 AM »
Besides all the praise that has been already said about your terrain making and painting skills I would take the opportunity also give merit to your photography DeafNala, I just love how you have used the lightning in the pics about the Spooky Woods #1 (I take it there's more to come if this is just #1? If yes, then excellent news for us :D ), brings the scenery truly alive. Much kudos to you Sir.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1127 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:38 AM »
Pocoloco is right too :).
I bear such admiration for all your work, the way you have built this environment up and how it has become much, much more than the mere addition of elements. Don't want to repeat what others have already told you, so I'll just say that I find your work enormously original, a true source of inspiration.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1128 on: May 22, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
Thank you One & All for your overwhelmingly kind remarks. I am most grateful for & humbled by them all. I'll do my utmost to live up to them...at least the ones that aren't too difficult.

This is delightful and it is more true to the tales of the Brothers Grimm than anything Disney made. The world of the Fae is deadly and not to be trifled with. You've caught the true essence of Faerie Tales here.  :-* :-* :-*

Faerie Tales like Clowns are really scary things...especially if you venture into the Seelie Courts/Sidhe. My stuff tends to hang between charming & creepy; it's a reflection of all the tales, fantasy or not, that have shaped my admittedly strange imagination over a lot of years. I hope you continue to enjoy "The Tale" as it unfolds.

Have you had a game on parts of it so far? If so could you post or link a few 'in game' pictures?

I haven't gamed on the new boards yet, Matt. When I do, it will probably be a solo affair...SO Battle Reports, stories, & photos will be features.

Besides all the praise that has been already said about your terrain making and painting skills I would take the opportunity also give merit to your photography DeafNala, I just love how you have used the lightning in the pics about the Spooky Woods #1 (I take it there's more to come if this is just #1? If yes, then excellent news for us :D ), brings the scenery truly alive. Much kudos to you Sir.

I'm afraid that when my photos turn out cool it's mostly a serendipitous accident...of course, I'm still perfectly agreeable with taking the credit for them.
There will hopefully be several more boards: two more Spooky Woods that will be the same size as Heep's Place & SW1, a couple with the Swamp & Isles of Langerhan, the Goblin City, & some Graveyard Thingies.

I'll just say that I find your work enormously original, a true source of inspiration.

Thanks, Suber...being an inspiration is the ultimate compliment for any creative person...& me too.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #1129 on: May 22, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
I finally figured out why those twisted mushroom fellows creep me out: their faces are much more like I imagined C.S. Lewis' monopods when I was very young and reading the Chronicles at night. Those things freaked me out for the longest time!

What do you use for the red dirt? (I think I might know the answer to this but had to ask...)

And we can't wait for more!
Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1130 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
Thanks, Jevenkah!

I finally figured out why those twisted mushroom fellows creep me out: their faces are much more like I imagined C.S. Lewis' monopods when I was very young and reading the Chronicles at night. Those things freaked me out for the longest time!

There is something about my little horrors that conjures up memories...pleasant or not. A lot of the early comments suggested a Labyrinth connection; Alice in Wonderland had a few mention as well, along the Brothers Grimm. Mentioning my Thingies with any of them is an honor.

What do you use for the red dirt? (I think I might know the answer to this but had to ask...)

I use the floral sand from Michael's (beach sand brings along possible flea infestation). I glue it down with (Aleene's) tacky glue thinned out with water. It's then painted with a mix of Americana Heritage Brick & Georgia Clay; drybrushed with Ceramcoat Terra Cotta & finally Americana Honey Brown...it's somewhat less red in reality.

And we can't wait for more!
Jevenkah

I hope not to keep you waiting for long...you might lose interest.

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 05/13/13: A Spooky Woods Update
« Reply #1131 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »
There's a Pecan Tree out in back of our place that actually looks like it has eyes...on stalks. I'll have to try to get a photo of it/him/her/whatever.

Yes, definitely get a picture!

The board is just BRILLIANT! It's not even finished yet ... can't wait to see all of it finished, in all it's glory ;) I like the wobbly chimney haha - I'm a sucker for little, interesting details.

The mushrooms are creepily comical ...

I have the "Alice in Steamland" and "Expedition to Wonderland" packs from LAM and want to eventually make a small "Wonderland" board with giant plants and creepy trees (another project on my list, that will probably not get started ANY time soon! ;D) ... thanks for some great ideas!
The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1132 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »
Thanks, Princess, & congratulations: you're the first one to notice the new chimney on Heep's Place. I'm delighted you are enjoying The Project...sounds like part of a slum...appropriate.

When you get up the motivation, do give the Wonderland Board a try. It will make a GREAT background for photographing your pieces & all sorts of ideas for new ones. I found this thread inspiring...you might also (caveat:the first photo is missing, but the rest of them are still there):

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=15892.0

Cool, eh?!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
As promised, or threatened if you prefer, I have the first photos of a Group of Hunters braving the Perils of the Spooky Woods...it really should have a proper name...like Spooky Woods in German...names in German seem to sound ominous for some reason or other.

Zooming in on The Hunters entering The Woods:

Bringing up the rear has dangers of its own:

Last seen leaving The Road:

AND A L.A.F. EXCLUSIVE...THE TREE:

I think that The Woods may prove to be a major source of entertainment...at least for moi. That aside, your kind comments would be most welcome..or you can break an Old Man's heart.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:34:52 PM by DeafNala »

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Those miniatures look nice - and they certainly fit in your terrain. I also really like the spooky look of the wood.  :)
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
A great set of pictures, Al.
They certainly tell a very evocative story.
 :-*

As for that spooky tree:  :o :o :o

If that is at the bottom of the garden, it is no surprise that your fevered imagination comes up with what it does.
 ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks for the kind comments, Guys! The enthusiastic responses I've received are a constant source of motivation & delight for moi.

As for that spooky tree:  :o :o :o

If that is at the bottom of the garden, it is no surprise that your fevered imagination comes up with what it does.
 ;)

Actually, although it's my favorite, The House is surrounded be a grove of equally bizarre trees; mostly Pecans & the occasional Living Oak. They all sport some truly twisted shapes & oft times gravity defying branches. All in all, its a rather homey atmosphere for moi...The Trees try to disassociate themselves from moi whenever possible however.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I don't know what "spooky" would translate to in German, but "Scary forest" would be "beängstigendwald"

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks, Fram! I hope I don't offend any of the Forum Folk with the sinister sounding German remark. I once asked for a translation of Fluffy; in German, it sounded like a fine name for a Hell Hound.
One of the Fellows from the Death Squad Forum gave me these:

Quote from: Gatlag Stonetooth
Der Dunkle wald
Der Unheimliche Wald
Der Gruseligen Wald

A few simple examples to prove you're right: in German it sounds scary as hell!   :o

Each language has its own charms for Folks that don't speak or understand it.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Lisnin to wot some o dem kids and ting round ere is sayin', like, it nuff scares me to fink wot is called English and shit dese days....innit!