Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 04/25/24 Mushroom & Mini-Me Mushroom Done!  (Read 1167867 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 5/03/14: The BIG Picture
« Reply #1740 on: May 04, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
You have a very unique, totally awesome style that I can only admire. And the vibrant colours are something I've never been able to achieve as I naturally tend to mute everything.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1741 on: May 04, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind replies, Guy! That's a nice healthy dose of motivation to start the day.

There's even a sort of geographic sense to it all, as you move inland from the beach, to a populated coastal plain, to forests, and then on towards the uplands!

Thanks. Fram!
It does flow in a natural way. A natural setting seems to make the bizarre elements stranger still. I'd love to say I planned it that way, but it was just the way things serendipitously worked out. I just need a bit more room to complete the mountain to shore transition...an aircraft hangar would do.

Amazing terrain in a very personal style! Now you'll need miniatures to go along besides your goblins, have you considered Nemesis range?

Thanks, Arthadan.
I'll probably do some modification on the minis at hand...there are quite a lot of them. HOWEVER, the allure of the shinies is always present. Do you have a link to the Nemesis line?

You have a very unique, totally awesome style that I can only admire. And the vibrant colours are something I've never been able to achieve as I naturally tend to mute everything.

Thanks, White Knight...I'm delighted you like the stuff thus far. I have the opposite problem; i.e., I find it nearly impossible to tone my stuff down to subtle muted shades...I have a natural Carnival approach to color choices.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #1742 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:24 PM »
Boards look amazing all pushed together like that. Imagine it'd make a really good RPG style "dungeon" crawl. Have the heroes start at one end of the table and have to work their way to some kind of "boss" encounter at the other end, encountering various monsters and NPC's along the way.  :D

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1743 on: May 04, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
Boards look amazing all pushed together like that. Imagine it'd make a really good RPG style "dungeon" crawl. Have the heroes start at one end of the table and have to work their way to some kind of "boss" encounter at the other end, encountering various monsters and NPC's along the way.  :D

Thanks, Diakon. The RPG idea or a hard fought advance/strategic withdrawal/ambush would all work with a long board. Adding side boards & underground points of interest would add further possibilities. Be that as it may, I'm glad you like the stuff.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #1744 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
Great Scott Al! That's a big gathering of beautiful terrain.  :-*  :-*  :-* I am happy to hear that your Sistine Chapel  :D isn't finished yet, and am looking forward to watching it grow over time. Please keep taking photos, and I hope the camera works better (try no flash and keep it on a tripod for a long exposure ??? )

I liked the ruined chapel with the moon painted on the side. His devilish grin does wonders.

Cheers
Matt

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1745 on: May 05, 2014, 12:00:02 AM »
Great Scott Al! That's a big gathering of beautiful terrain.  :-*  :-*  :-* I am happy to hear that your Sistine Chapel  :D isn't finished yet, and am looking forward to watching it grow over time. Please keep taking photos, and I hope the camera works better (try no flash and keep it on a tripod for a long exposure ??? )

I liked the ruined chapel with the moon painted on the side. His devilish grin does wonders.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for the enthusiastic response, Constable B.! That was a major up for moi.
There will be further updates, new boards, & a horde of minis forthcoming.

This is one of those rare times I had to leave the flash uncovered...there isn't anyway of shutting it off that doesn't involve violence. Without the flash the photos were much too dark too see anything; with it, the colors are somewhat off. C'est la vie, eh?!

The Bad Mood was an impromptu thing. I had made a crescent shape out of foam quite some time ago. When I thought about using it as a Chapel symbol, I imagined it transforming into an evil, leering visage over time. I'm glad you like it!

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #1746 on: May 05, 2014, 03:07:25 AM »

I totally agree with this chap. Just wish I could run scenarios on those AMAZING boards. Excellent work, more please!
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #1747 on: May 05, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »
DeafNala here you are some examples from the Nemesis range by Zenit Miniatures:

I can picture the Orphans in your forest and the "Not Alive" roaming your crypts.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Actually I was hoping to have a few friends gather around the body & try to bring me back. If the attempt fails, however, your idea might be fun in a Beetlejuice sort of way.

SO, as threatened, here are a few ASTOUNDINGLY MEDIOCRE photos of the first five board sections all together:

There you go; that gives you, my Fellow Forum Folk, a fairly go impression of the way it all comes together thus far. Of course this is only the beginning. As things develop further posts will be inflicted upon you. Until then you kind comments would be most welcome...or you can just break an Old Man's heart.

That looks amazing!!!  :-*

Now in proper butterfly spirit, play just one game on it and throw it all out.  ;D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1749 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
DeafNala here you are some examples from the Nemesis range by Zenit Miniatures:
I can picture the Orphans in your forest and the "Not Alive" roaming your crypts.

Thanks, Arathadan! Now that I see them I recognize the minis. They do have an UBERCOOL range of pieces. The Orphans have a lot of appeal to moi & I l love their approach to the mostly dead Folk. I will have to see if anyone over here carries them.

That looks amazing!!!  :-*

Thanks, Dr. Viking! I'm glad, as a kindred spirit, you like it.

Now in proper butterfly spirit, play just one game on it and throw it all out.  ;D

The flitting does sound a lot like moi...getting in a game, other than a solo one, then moving on is very  like me. I don't trash things though...you should see my closets, but I would give them away.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #1750 on: May 05, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
Just Brilliant! That is a gargantuan outcome!

I love how if one was 25/28/32 mm tall it would take plenty of walking to traverse the set-up because of the way each board has its own rambling path. While they all fit together, there's no straight line of street to zip the eye through the fun. Rather the landmarks and interesting bits force the traveler to take notice of almost each square inch. There is so much happening on each board, and none of them competes overmuch with their neighbor. (Freaky, that just gave me the mental image of a hoard of your mushrooms throwing themselves against the faces on the mausoleum.)

Awe-inspiring again! Thanks so much for sharing it all!
Jevenkah

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1751 on: May 05, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
I never had the idea of playing on this. For me its existence is enough. It's possibly the most expressive tabletop I've ever seen. Just looking at it, exploring it visually and finding new and exciting little extras around each corner is really all that matters to me. It's both highly disturbing, yet at the same time oddly comforting to look at. Like a good trip...  ;D
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1752 on: May 05, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
Just Brilliant! That is a gargantuan outcome!

I love how if one was 25/28/32 mm tall it would take plenty of walking to traverse the set-up because of the way each board has its own rambling path. While they all fit together, there's no straight line of street to zip the eye through the fun. Rather the landmarks and interesting bits force the traveler to take notice of almost each square inch. There is so much happening on each board, and none of them competes overmuch with their neighbor. (Freaky, that just gave me the mental image of a hoard of your mushrooms throwing themselves against the faces on the mausoleum.)

Awe-inspiring again! Thanks so much for sharing it all!
Jevenkah

Thanks for the VERY kind comments, Jevenkah! It really has been a pleasure posting photos of The Project & receiving such wonderful responses...it's rather humbling & uplifting simultaneously. I'd love to say I planned it all out, but things just developed all on their own as I worked on them; it's a long & pleasant accident.
I imagine all sorts of things happening on the boards when no one is watching. This may be another sign of imminent senility.

I never had the idea of playing on this. For me its existence is enough. It's possibly the most expressive tabletop I've ever seen. Just looking at it, exploring it visually and finding new and exciting little extras around each corner is really all that matters to me. It's both highly disturbing, yet at the same time oddly comforting to look at. Like a good trip...  ;D

Thanks, Doomhippie. I always enjoy your comments.
To be honest, I haven't though of gaming on the boards so much as using them for narrative photos of various minis. Populating the place with all sorts of strange but interesting characters is going to be a very good trip.
The unnatural nature of the place is disturbing, at least, in so far as it challenges preconceptions of what is natural. Having a Mushroom start a conversation could be upsetting but not necessarily threatening...unless the conversation gets into politic, religion, or sports that is.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 5/15/14: Dark Doings in the Graveyard
« Reply #1753 on: May 15, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »
There are dark deed being done in the Old Graveyard beneath the pale moonlight. Jon Apflel leaves his entourage to stalk the night:

...maybe stop off for a pint & a game of darts while he's at it:

AND a better look at the Girls he left behind; the Foxx Sisters, Molly, Polly, & Dolly:

Madame De Sade; known to her friends as Dee Dee:

AND the Dread Assassin, Anne...painted by my dear friend, Anne O'Leary:

As the plot & the night thicken further FOUL PHOTOS will be inflicted on you, my Fellow Forum Folk...Bwahahahahahahaha!
In the interim, your kind comments are once more requested.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 5/15/14: Dark Doings in the Graveyard
« Reply #1754 on: May 16, 2014, 02:08:04 AM »
Awesome painting  :-*
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.