Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 04/25/24 Mushroom & Mini-Me Mushroom Done!  (Read 1168274 times)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 6/1/14: Some New Photos
« Reply #1830 on: June 10, 2014, 02:49:05 AM »
Nice work on the big nosed assassin DeafNala!
I didn't know Reaper did a dark creeper.
Nice find, even better paintjob!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1831 on: June 10, 2014, 03:02:04 AM »
Thanks, aggro! Reaper did a really nice job capturing the Little Guy's Fiend Folio look & feel. It took me a while to get around to painting him; I'm glad you like the results.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #1832 on: June 11, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
Really nice painting on this guy. I need to find that figure. I didn't even know what a Dark Creeper was till you showed this off. One internet search later and now I have a new bad guy to use in Labyrinth Lord games. Thank you.  :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1833 on: June 11, 2014, 01:16:55 AM »
Really nice painting on this guy. I need to find that figure. I didn't even know what a Dark Creeper was till you showed this off. One internet search later and now I have a new bad guy to use in Labyrinth Lord games. Thank you.  :)

Thanks, Michka...glad you like him!
The Reaper (02886) Dark Creeper can be found here:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/02886/latest/02886

AND the Reaper (02840) Dark Stalker:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Dark%20Stalker/sku-down/02840

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:19:05 AM by DeafNala »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 6/12/14:Dr. J's 40K World
« Reply #1834 on: June 12, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Well my old friend & patron, Dr J(ustin Sipla) has succumbed to the lure(?) of 40K, AND asked me to do some terrain for his gaming group. Dr. J & the Siplans are campaigning on a Desert/Mad Max-style World. SO the first batch of thingies are Southwestern rock pillars:

There seems to be an Ork Infestation here (for size comparison):

Dwellings, ruins, fuel tanks, & slapped together fortifications are all on the agenda. Comments as always would be welcome.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 6/12/14:Dr. J's 40K World
« Reply #1835 on: June 12, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
DeafNala, you're like one of the great musicians (Madonna, Pet Shop Boys or even Miley Cyrus come to mind). This is your 40K album, mixing in influences from your earlier album (that went platinum) and what you've been listening to lately.

I'm looking forward to the results.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:01:28 PM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #1836 on: June 12, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
Super! More fantastic shenanigans to watch, and get inspiration from :D Keep em coming Sir.

The orcs seem comfortable where they are.

Cheers
Matt

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1837 on: June 12, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »
Thanks for the positive replies, Guys. I was sure whether to post this stuff in the Sci-Fi section or just extend this thread. After a minimal amount of thought, I figured it was pretty strange here anyway, SO a bit of diversion wouldn't matter.

DeafNala, you're like one of the great musicians (Madonna, Pet Shop Boys or even Miley Cyrus come to mind). This is your 40K album, mixing in influences from your earlier album (that went platinum) and what you've been listening to lately.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Thanks, again, von Lucky...I'll try to keep it interesting

Super! More fantastic shenanigans to watch, and get inspiration from :D Keep em coming Sir.

The orcs seem comfortable where they are.

Cheers
Matt

I'm actually drawing inspiration for some underground pieces from this little exercise. If I give you a little ppush in the right direction also, that would make this a truly successful effort.

Orcs or Orks always seem to adapt nicely to their environment; it's the environment that seems to have issues with the situation.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #1838 on: June 13, 2014, 01:01:28 AM »
Normally 40k Orcs, oops Orks, bore the piss out of me.
I really like your's though.
They have that Deafnala feel to them.

Cool rock formations too!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1839 on: June 13, 2014, 01:12:12 AM »

Thanks, aggro. The Orks are the Infamous Swizzle stick Orks. When I was given them, they had swizzle sticks stuck on to lengthen the gun barrels. When I removed the ugly-as-sin swizzle sticks, I found they were affixed to some heavy & thoroughly rusted staples. SO I totally replaced the barrels with plastic tubes...there are a couple of mini guns in the mix.

There are a bunch of closeups here:

http://s762.photobucket.com/user/DeafNala/library/40k/Orks?sort=4&page=1

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1840 on: June 13, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »

Exactly! It may be another universe but DeafNala's hand shows all the same; one fairly expects these orcs to get up to all sorts of amusingly questionable behaviour, beyond the bland chaos normally expected of stock 40k orcs.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1841 on: June 13, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
Exactly! It may be another universe but DeafNala's hand shows all the same; one fairly expects these orcs to get up to all sorts of amusingly questionable behaviour, beyond the bland chaos normally expected of stock 40k orcs.

While they are not as clever or cool as Goblins, Orc(k)s are much less two dimensional than Tolkien, D&D, or G.W. would have us believe...it's the only way that all those ne'er do well, plundering "Adventurers" can get away with their blatant acts of breaking & entering, robbery & murder AND still appear as the Good Guys. If you play their personalities as somewhat counter to appearance whole new insights into Orc(k)iness come to light...this could be the Mother Lode of Absurdity.

A glimpse of my Orc(k) & Goblin perspective:

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #1842 on: June 13, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
Just took a leisurely stroll through your Photobucket Orks and I'm even more impressed then I was before. Of course I should've expected this. Aren't 40K Orks just sentient fungus? You are the Lord of the Mushroom around these parts after all.  :D

After writing 'Lord of the Mushroom' above I got this sudden flash of Sauron wielding a glowing golden toadstool in the War of the Last Alliance. Then flash to Gollum, lovingly stroking that same golden toadstool in a cave deep beneath the earth. I just thought you should know.    

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1843 on: June 13, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
Just took a leisurely stroll through your Photobucket Orks and I'm even more impressed then I was before. Of course I should've expected this. Aren't 40K Orks just sentient fungus? You are the Lord of the Mushroom around these parts after all.  :D

After writing 'Lord of the Mushroom' above I got this sudden flash of Sauron wielding a glowing golden toadstool in the War of the Last Alliance. Then flash to Gollum, lovingly stroking that same golden toadstool in a cave deep beneath the earth. I just thought you should know.    

Thanks, Michka...glad you like the Guys. I like The Lord of the Mushrooms; it has a nice ring to it. Funny thing I also had a Tolkien moment; only I pictured Tom Bombadil...now there was a poster Guy for the '60s: "tune in,turn on, drop out".

Orc(k)s as a fungus sort of organism is one of those G.W. ideas that allows them to bypass any sexual concepts; i.e., "Oh, Orks just bud & Mum found me in the cabbage patch". From my D&D/AD&D day with all those Half-Orc(k)s & Half-Elves & other Half-Thingies roaming about, I would say that Orc(k)s, Elves, & other Thingies are a horny lot that will mate with just about anything(y). Mushrooms are a prime source of food, drink, AND recreational drugs for Orc(k)s & especially Goblins.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:21:32 PM by DeafNala »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1844 on: June 15, 2014, 02:10:37 AM »
NIce job on the terrain pillars.  I would not have thought to do the 2 color "stripes", it looks great.  But I absolutely adore those little gobbos with the telescope. 
This is my boomstick!