Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ulysses Quicksilver?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Ulysses Quicksilver?
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
Has anyone read any tomes with this character? I saw an omnibus edition titled PAX BRITANNIA at Barnes and Noble. I was tempted to ask this on the VSF list, but anything self-described as 'steampunk' can get dismissed out of hand.  :D

Of course, I wound understand as the Amazon tag lines suggest: A "dandy, adventurer and agent of the throne" with Victoria living long enough to have ruled for "160 years".

Is it readable? Is it strictly steampunk?

Doug

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ulysses Quicksilver?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:51:14 AM »
I've never heard of this series, but after a bit of research I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Offline Ettrick

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
Apparently he's also written for the Black Library, Warhammer novels, so that may give you an idea of his style.  If you have an opinion on most of those books you may or may not want to go this direction without a chance to read a chapter or two.
A new war is about to start under alien suns.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
I've read a few, and while they arent going to win any literary awards,  :D theyre good fun reads.
Quicksilver is, I suppose, a VSF James Bond. Dinosaurs, submarines, a cool butler sidekick (Nimrod), dastardly villains, a smog-laden London (Londinium Maximum), mutants. Enjoyable nonsense,  :).

If youre tastes extend to graphic novels, can I suggest Ian Edgintons superb "Scarlet Traces" and "Scarlet Traces: The Great Game", set after the events of the War of the Worlds (he also does a graphic novel adaptation of that book, but its a bit difficult to track down).

He's also written "Victorian Undead", a graphic novel featuring Sherlock Holmes vs zombies. Ripping stuff, and the second book features Dracula.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
Ettrick: I've read some that weren't too bad, some I wouldn't wipe... Well, let's say I can try to give the benefit of the doubt.  :D

I've read a few, and while they arent going to win any literary awards,  :D theyre good fun reads.
Quicksilver is, I suppose, a VSF James Bond. Dinosaurs, submarines, a cool butler sidekick (Nimrod), dastardly villains, a smog-laden London (Londinium Maximum), mutants. Enjoyable nonsense,  :).

About as much as I could hope; I imagine I'll be picking up and sharing with my mates, mining for ideas.

If youre tastes extend to graphic novels, can I suggest Ian Edgintons superb "Scarlet Traces" and "Scarlet Traces: The Great Game", set after the events of the War of the Worlds (he also does a graphic novel adaptation of that book, but its a bit difficult to track down).

Bit of an old message there, old boy. Love 'em. ;->=

He's also written "Victorian Undead", a graphic novel featuring Sherlock Holmes vs zombies. Ripping stuff, and the second book features Dracula.

Good. Gawd. <high-pitched voice> Really? </high-pitched voice> I MUST HAVE!

The whole Zombified Jane Austen thing hasn't tempted me, but this is a MUST!

Thanks all!

Chairface: If I've tendered any service, faint payment for the delightful forum company. If this turns a disappointment, I won't know what you're talking about. ;->=

Doug

Offline Ettrick

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »
Ettrick: I've read some that weren't too bad, some I wouldn't wipe... Well, let's say I can try to give the benefit of the doubt.  :D

To be fair, I've read a fewcouple that were decent.  The last one is years old and sits  on my shelf unfinished.

....Inspirational book thread.....