Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:56:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry miniatures British legion. Carlist wars  (Read 5571 times)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Perry miniatures British legion. Carlist wars
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »
Hi I was just wondering what historical scenarios, could you use these figures for. I was thinking the Infantry and lancers could be used for the early afgan wars. Any other ideas.  THE CID. :?
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Perry miniatures British legion. Carlist wars
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I've got some of the marines for anti-slavery skirmishes by the Preventative Squadron in West Africa. Burning the barracoons and all that malarkey. Planning to get some of the Mutineer Miniatures RN types to add to the party.

I have also painted up some of the infantry as 72nd Highlanders for the 6th Cape Frontier War:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:07:23 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:20:39 PM »
Wow! Fabulous!!!! :-*
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
The Marines can be used pretty much as is for the First China War. The command packs and artillery are a useful supplement to the old Foundry range.

Most of the infantry are in quasi British uniforms and require a bit of tidying up with file and greenstuff.

Lancers would be perfect for Afghanistan.

Used judiciously and with a little in the way of conversion you could use some of the infantry for Scinde, that most wonderful of campaigns. Really just painting the coats to look more like British pattern coatees and adding covers and havelocks to the chaps in peaked forage caps.

Gorgeous job on those figures Dylan.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »
The BAL line infantry in coatees and shakos may pass muster for Afghanistan, although you'd have to paint the lace tape on the coat front. The figures in coatees and forage cap would be less useful as the latter was commonly fitted with a peak and worn with a cover in India, but they can conquer Sind for you if you are not too picky about uniform details or are willing to slap on the green stuff.  

The shell-jacketed infantry painted by Plynkes are much more multi-purpose and can be pressed into service for the Gwalior campaign and the first Sikh war if you file off the cap pompom. They're probably good for some Maori-bashing in New Zealand as well. The lancers can indeed be used for Afghanistan, plus Gwalior and the Sikh wars to boot.

As for the artillery, they're good for just about every conflict the Brits were involved in during the 1840's.  

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Those figures of mine are supposed to have lace on the chest I believe for 1830s South Africa, but I figured they were near enough. And I read somewhere that they pulled the lace off for service in the African bush anyhow (that may have been in the 1850s Cape War, though - either way I decided I could live with any minor errors).  :)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »
Great Ideas chaps, and those painted brits are superb. My order is winging its way to perry land as we speak.  THE CID.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
Those figures of mine are supposed to have lace on the chest I believe for 1830s South Africa, but I figured they were near enough. And I read somewhere that they pulled the lace off for service in the African bush anyhow (that may have been in the 1850s Cape War, though - either way I decided I could live with any minor errors).  :)

According to Osprey's The British Army On Campaign, it was indeed common practice to remove the lace from the coat during the seventh and eighth Kaffir wars. That said, the shell jacket was a popular item in South Africa and was worn by many units. In the 1830's, the 72nd did wear their dress coatees with the lace on, but with the shoulder wings removed.

The only real problem with the Perry figures in coatees are the backpacks, which were seldom carried into action except possibly in China during the 1842 Opium War. The shell jacketed figures you painted with the rolled greatcoat slipped into the crossbelts are spot on for many campaigns of the 1840's though.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 07:13:12 AM »
Good for First Anglo Burmese War, just remove pompom and shako badge and paint as if covered shako