Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A hearty hello and request for guns  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Student
A hearty hello and request for guns
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
Hello, there.

So, right. Big necromunda player and Lovecraft fan, stumbled over this game quite by accident and me and a friend is gonna give it a go. After looking around and seeing some of the more unique stuff, like spells and monsters, I'm kind of perplexed as to why there isn't any taste of this in the demo, but no matter. Looks cool anyhow.

So right, I'm wondering if anyone knows any good sources for suitable weaponry? Like revolvers and the likes? Even though some of the models that exsist already are great I'm probably gonna build the human models myself. I'm just wierd that way. :) But making the same pistols and shotguns over and over again is just a pain, no matter the system.

(Edit: Ok, so right after posting this my scouring of our hypernet bore some fruit: http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/ sells loose ww2 weapons in 28mm non-heroic scale. No revolvers, though, and maybe they're a bit small, but at least it's something, in case anyone else was interested.)

Secondly, I'm wondering exactly how the system work, campaign-wise? Do you select a few dudes at the start of the campaign and "stick to your guns" with the occasional fresh recruit, necromunda/mordheim-style? Or are things more fluent than that?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:35:57 AM by Gabriel »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: A hearty hello and request for guns
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »
Hmmm odd. I think I bought all of my weapons from The Assault Group. They had all kinds of cool weapons, from Lugers to Tommy Guns. Have to scour my weapons box to see if I really do have pistols, but IIRC they did have them.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Gabriel

• Student
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
Hmmm odd. I think I bought all of my weapons from The Assault Group. They had all kinds of cool weapons, from Lugers to Tommy Guns. Have to scour my weapons box to see if I really do have pistols, but IIRC they did have them.

I did find a couple of pistols, just not any revolvers. And no tommy gun either, sadly.

Edit: I just found the Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten beta thing. I'd be interested to know exactly how the base game is diffrent(apart from the obvious bit about the original having a lot more content). Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten looks to be a bit more what I'm used to from playing necromunda.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:22:11 AM by Gabriel »

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
Heresy sell hand guns and shotguns
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/weapons.htm
and Hasselfree do some tommyguns
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=39&subcat_id=17
and Warlords Games do WW2 weapons
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/weapons-store-140-c.asp
hope this helps

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
Kulten will definitely seem more familiar to a player with a Mordheim/Necromunda background, insofar as it's a "my squad vs. your squad" system with resource collection and management.  In Strange Aeons, you start with a force of normally 3-5 models (approx 50% larger than what you get in the demo) and play each scenario against a Lurker force custom built to your current point total.  You can bring in new recruits and upgrade equipment (apart from items you acquire through scenarios) only when a model dies, so there are limitations to your ability to alter your squad.  However, rather than having to 'buy' these new agents/gear, you take them at the expense of having to fight nastier enemies in future games.  You can also bring in Special Agents, who function very similarly to Hired Swords in Mordheim and don't stick around forever.  It's very much a Lovecraftian environment: the scales are tipped against you in the fight against cosmic evil, and not many survive without going mad.

The demo is meant to reflect a starter game, which normally features agents with limited skills and gear against low-level Lurkers such as Cultists.  Building the demo with more experienced/well equipped models seemed a bit unfair to the prospective player.  The lack of any real monsters is a product of the low point total, which makes it difficult to fit anything useful in and still have a functional squad.  In normal 15 point starter games, you'll usually see something like a Fishman.

As for spellcasting, this isn't possible for at least a few games, as you need to build up some skills and scrolls to pull it off.  It's fairly straightforward though: spells are found on scrolls during games, and are a one-shot cast requiring a check against the casting model's resolve.  If you take a look at the extended spell list Mike has posted for Kulten, you'll get a sense of the effects.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
conquest do a weapons accessories pack with pistols
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Gabriel

• Student
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »
Wow, thanks guys. I've gone from "I can't find any good weapon models" to "I don't know which one to choose". :)

Kulten will definitely seem more familiar to a player with a Mordheim/Necromunda background, insofar as it's a "my squad vs. your squad" system with resource collection and management.  In Strange Aeons, you start with a force of normally 3-5 models (approx 50% larger than what you get in the demo) and play each scenario against a Lurker force custom built to your current point total.  You can bring in new recruits and upgrade equipment (apart from items you acquire through scenarios) only when a model dies, so there are limitations to your ability to alter your squad.  However, rather than having to 'buy' these new agents/gear, you take them at the expense of having to fight nastier enemies in future games.  You can also bring in Special Agents, who function very similarly to Hired Swords in Mordheim and don't stick around forever.  It's very much a Lovecraftian environment: the scales are tipped against you in the fight against cosmic evil, and not many survive without going mad.

The demo is meant to reflect a starter game, which normally features agents with limited skills and gear against low-level Lurkers such as Cultists.  Building the demo with more experienced/well equipped models seemed a bit unfair to the prospective player.  The lack of any real monsters is a product of the low point total, which makes it difficult to fit anything useful in and still have a functional squad.  In normal 15 point starter games, you'll usually see something like a Fishman.

As for spellcasting, this isn't possible for at least a few games, as you need to build up some skills and scrolls to pull it off.  It's fairly straightforward though: spells are found on scrolls during games, and are a one-shot cast requiring a check against the casting model's resolve.  If you take a look at the extended spell list Mike has posted for Kulten, you'll get a sense of the effects.

Wow, this is very informative. So, if I understand you correctly here once I buy a model with a Handgun and a meat cleaver that's what his gear is for the rest of the game? That's nice in a way, that means I don't have to model them so that it's easy to replace weapons. :)

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
If you like the campaign elements of Necromunda/Mordheim, then you'll like Strange Aeons.

So, if I understand you correctly here once I buy a model with a Handgun and a meat cleaver that's what his gear is for the rest of the game?

Correct.
(unless, of course, if one of your opponents has the skill 'Destroy Weapon' but that's a whole new can o' worms)
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Warlord Games has just brought out a plastic weapon sprue
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/british-infantry-weapon-sprue-5944-p.asp